SASS Wire Forum

question about drilling brass shotgun shells

Johnny Dollar

I did a search on the wire but didn't see anything. Has anyone drilled out the primer pocket in brass shotgun shells to go from the large pistol type to a 209 type shotgun primer? I'm talking about the Magtech brass.

I've seen a couple YouTube videos of folks talking about it, but I'd rather hear from you guys. It just seems the 209 primers would be much easier to put in the case then the large pistol. I could use my shotshell loader for that. If I'm wrong about that let me know.... but also then how do you put the primer in without buying the expensive shell holder and die set for brass shotgun shells? I should say "if" you could find the shell holder.... RCBS makes them but no one has them in stock.

Thanks as always!

-JD

Johnny,

I've done it...using a 15/64ths drill bit and counter sink hole for primer edge to seat...It makes for better ignition but still working with MagTech hulls...I ended my search with Rocky Mtn Cartridge and ordered...from them....Much better quality..indefinite reloads but more expensive...IMHO

Regards

Texas Red

........oooooooooooo!!!! - now you've both given me a big idea!!!! I have some old Magtechs lying around, and some older #57 primers. If 15/64ths drill is needed for #209's, what size drill will I need for the #57's?????? After I'd be done with the '57's, I could then drill 'em out for the #209's!

'Would appreciate advice.....thanks in advance.

Doc

I used a wooden dowel set the shell on the primer on a flat smooth surface and inserted the dowel in the shell tap the dowel until the LP primer was fully seated before I got a lee hand loading setup or the shell holder for my rcbs cowboy 12ga brass shell die set. All are simple to use. Plus LP primers are cheaper than SG primers the last I checked.

I simply dump some primers on the table of my drill press, set the Magtec on a primer, put a brass dowell in the case and crank the quill of my drill press down. Takes longer to describe than to do :-)

Coffinmaker

I have several options for seating LPP's in my all brass Shells. Use my RCBS shell holder, or use my MEC 600 Jr. with the brass shell loading adaptor, or use a plastic mallet and a wooden dowel rod with the LPP on a flat surface.

Archived