SASS Wire Forum

WANTED: 1873 Uberti 38 Special, Pistol Grip

Rancho Roy

I'm in the market for an 1873 Uberti in 38 Special.

Pistol grip

Question: Will the 357 magnum models feed 38 special cases without issue?

If you have one you want to part with, please email me pictures and price:

rvb100@comcast.net

In short, related to .357 revolvers, yes....to both questions. "Feed" is a misnomer as related to a revolver.

Yes, .357 Uberti will chamber and handle .38 Special (.38 Smith & Wesson [or, S&W] Special, to be exact) cartridges.

Yes, I have one set of grip scales for a Uberti Model P grip. Mine is a two-piece grip, not the standard, one-piece wooden grip you see on most Uberti revolvers. PM me if you are interested.

There is a some (interesting) discussion as to how the .357 cartridge came to be, so maybe you can look it up on the Internet...maybe a Wiki article. Anyway, speaking in general, the .38 Special and the .357 cartridge cases are basically of the same dimentsions, except the .357 is longer. And, bore dimensions should be the same. Generally, .38's will chamber in .357 chambers, but (obviously) not vice versa, in the shorter .38 Special chambers.

The only "problem" that I think you might encounter firing .38's in the .357 cylinder is that if you later decide to fire .357's in that revolver, there may be a build up of powder residue, forming a ring in the cylinder's chambers, at the juncture of the .38 case mouths and the lead bullet. If it is heavy enough, the .357 round might have a problem chambering all the way. So, frequent scrubbing of the cylinder chambers with a wire bore brush soaked in powder solvent should take care of that. Don't let it build up, because those residue rings can sometimes be difficult to remove if you do let them build up.

In short, related to .357 revolvers, yes....to both questions. "Feed" is a misnomer as related to a revolver.

Yes, .357 Uberti will chamber and handle .38 Special (.38 Smith & Wesson [or, S&W] Special, to be exact) cartridges.

Yes, I have one set of grip scales for a Uberti Model P grip. Mine is a two-piece grip, not the standard, one-piece wooden grip you see on most Uberti revolvers. PM me if you are interested.

There is a some (interesting) discussion as to how the .357 cartridge came to be, so maybe you can look it up on the Internet...maybe a Wiki article. Anyway, speaking in general, the .38 Special and the .357 cartridge cases are basically of the same dimentsions, except the .357 is longer. And, bore dimensions should be the same. Generally, .38's will chamber in .357 chambers, but (obviously) not vice versa, in the shorter .38 Special chambers.

The only "problem" that I think you might encounter firing .38's in the .357 cylinder is that if you later decide to fire .357's in that revolver, there may be a build up of powder residue, forming a ring in the cylinder's chambers, at the juncture of the .38 case mouths and the lead bullet. If it is heavy enough, the .357 round might have a problem chambering all the way. So, frequent scrubbing of the cylinder chambers with a wire bore brush soaked in powder solvent should take care of that. Don't let it build up, because those residue rings can sometimes be difficult to remove if you do let them build up.

Pretty sure he means a 1873 pistol grip rifle. As far as build up if you'll shoot 20 or so Black Powder rounds through there the build up will be gone.

Roy you would probably get better responses if you move this to the classifieds.

Maybe so, I did that yesterday, too, confusing a shotgun with a rifle. In this case, though, I'm not sure. Makes sense, though. I always think of the Model P first, when I see/hear the term "1873." Oh, well. :wacko::lol:

My wife has three of em and none of the carriers have been reworked. It has to do with the overall length of the cartridge. kR

I'll agree with ya to a point..

But if ya want to shoot a normal OAL of a 38 special in a 357 rifle,

Ya just need to have the front feeding ramp angle changed a little..

Johnny Meadows I know can do..

Plus many more..

Rance

Thinkin' I can even do it

Cimarron Firearms in Fredricksburg Texas Has 115 in stock 1873 Deluxe Pistol Grip in 20" 357/38sp

Archived