SASS Wire Forum

Predator Motor Sports Vista, CA ?

Happy Jack, SASS #20451

Hi all, I am curious if any of you So. CA shooters have any knowledge concerning Predator Motor Sports in Vista, CA?? My old Hummer H1 with the original GM diesel is sorry. They advertise a Duramax/Allison conversion for it. I would get it done IF I knew they were a reliable company, but at $40K it is an expensive gamble if the company is suspect. any reviews for the from BBB?? Other history or opinions?? Anybody drive by the place and see if it looks good or just an alleyway chop shop?? With a $4K down payment and 6 months waiting period I would like some information before placing the order. THANKS

There are some pretty high end diesel places in CA. There's more out of CA.

Swapping drivetrains isn't magic though, depending on where you live there might be a sufficiently able outfit closer.

$7k-9k for the motor and $30+k for bs and burma shave would have me worrying, too. Personally, I wouldn't jump into this, but would spend long hours asking like you're doing here and looking in magazines and online, collecting data and feedback prior to making an investment like this in a vehicle that might be worth, what? $15k at most in its present condition. You say, "sorry." You mean wore out and malfunctioning or just not giving you the power you think you need? Rhetorical question; your call, of course.

Thanks for the comments, but there are very few houses that will do the H1 conversion. One in KS and this one are the only ones I can find. Since I'm in UT, CA is closer. I bought the Hummer new in 1996, only has 48000 miles on it. I plan to keep it another 20 years or so to do heavy hauling around the mine site. As for cost, a new engine and tranny run at least 25K, and they have to lift the truck and change the entire wiring harness, cooling systems, transfer case, computer, gauges, etc. etc. so the price is high but not out of reason. I just wonder if the outfit is reliable.

If you're set on them as an outfit I can ask some people I know out there.

As far as the swap goes... The only possible mechanical challenge is adapting the Allison to the H1 transfer case. The GM diesel is either a 6.2 or a 6.5, the Dmax is 6.6, so cooling shouldn't have to change much.

Prices... Depend on what you decide you want. LB7 and the 5 speed A1000? Or an LBZ with the 6 speed... Big difference in final price between those options.

It'd have to look and function like a complete factory install before I'd even consider 40k though.

Either way though... I'll ask a couple guys I know in CA.

I agree with Farmer Tom, the 6.2/6.5's have a LOT of problems and I just want to upgrade the truck for the long term. It stil runs but is not reliabe (on 3rd PMD already and it still doesn't work right) A unit like mine with the upgrade sells for about 90K so the money isn't wasted, I just want to be sure the shop is legit.

Any other information???? THANKS

Archived