SASS Wire Forum

Rifle Storage in RV

Key Hay

Traded in our Toy Hauler for a more conventional 5th Wheel (more living quarter than utility layout). There is a coat closet my wife has graciously offered up as a rifle cabinet. Need to install some type of restraints for long guns. Anyone got any good ideas they could share?

Our trailer has a lift up master bed with storage underneath. A guy I talked to once upon a time laid a gun safe on it's back under the bed and had it bolted to a crossmember between the frame rails.

Seemed like a whole lot of work, but I don't think anybody woulda got his guns away from him without taking the whole trailer.

I question whether you need a safe of any type in the 5th wheel trailer. In the long run, a firearms rider on your home insurance, good documentation and photos is cheaper and ultimately better. You don't need to introduce the weight and the clumsy awkwardness of a safe.

You should give this some thought, because you may not always be hauling weapons in your trailer and if not, you probably will want to reclaim the closet space for it's more conventional intended use.

I wouldn't over-think this or over-engineer it, either. That usually makes for problems.

For instance, a removable stand-up rifle rack consisting of a shallow box-like catch for the buttstocks could consist of a piece of 3/8 plywood with a single 1x2 across the front. Two screws to hold it onto the closet floor. Above, a siece of 2x4 or something smaller with the edge scalloped out to acommodate the barrels of the rifles/shotguns, maybe with leather glued in as padding. Again, a couple screws to hold it in place. On each side, a single 1x2 cross-piece placed at mid-forearm height on the standing weapons would retain them in place. This could be something that slides down into slots on each side of the closet. These slots could be cut into small pieces of 1x3 or 1x4. These "slot-pieces" could be screwed across fron one another on the closet walls and the 1x2 cross-piece easily slipped into or out of the slots. It's simple, yet effective and could be all or partially removed easily, if necessary, to use the closet as a.....closet.

What some call a gunsafe I call a gun locker. A gun locker is lightweight, and while easily breached give time and tools will deter a smash and grab type of thief. A real safe would add more weight than the additional security was worth IMO.

I'd go for a gun locker bolted or lag screwed into something sturdy.

I'd get ahold of Yul Lose and have him build me a truck vault that fit perfect in whatever the understorage area is of the RV. Then whatever you need to store could go right on top. And your guns are accessible from the outside which is where you need them when you have your boots on.

I don't need a safe or gun cabinet. I will be using an existing cabinet that's built into the RV.

CougarGunCab_zps4346405d.jpg

Nobody "needs" a gunsafe for their guns until someone is trying to steal them. As someone who has been burgled twice in the last 20 years and lost a couple of British Enfields that my Dad gave me, I say, if you are ever going to put guns in the trailer/5th wheel and leave it unattended, get a safe. 200 lbs is not going to be a deal breaker in the total weight department. If it is you probably already need a bigger tow vehicle.

The point was to get a cheap gun locker to bolt inside those closets.

Look into "Stack-On" gunsafes (lockers). I have one I had in my toyhauler, in my house now, and it will proably fit in that area. Specs are on the internet, and can find them at Gander/Academy/etc. Very reasonable, pretty secure, and light weight. JMHO

Anybody that saw my setup in my toyhauler can tell you it worked great.

Keep in mind we have a class A motor home, so I am speaking from that experience.

Most RV beds have a storage place beneath them. I put the guns in a soft case and toss them under the bed. If you feel the need to lock them up add a latch.

Option two get a gun vault for the back of a SUV and bolt it in the outside storage area. Then lock the hatch. guns are now behind two locks.

If you gotta have a closet storage type apparatus look at the ruged gear web site http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=167/mode=cat/cat167.htm

Keep in mind we have a class A motor home, so I am speaking from that experience.

Most RV beds have a storage place beneath them. I put the guns in a soft case and toss them under the bed. If you feel the need to lock them up add a latch.

Option two get a gun vault for the back of a SUV and bolt it in the outside storage area. Then lock the hatch. guns are now behind two locks.

If you gotta have a closet storage type apparatus look at the ruged gear web site http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=167/mode=cat/cat167.htm

Bed doesn't have storage under it on this model (It's all slide mechanicals). No SUV here 5th Wheels get pulled by trucks.

I'm taking measurements for the rugged gear 4 gun rack now.

why not build some narrow racks for the rifles in the closet, then get a piece of matching paneling to go in front of the rifles secured with velcro if anyone looked in there all they would see is the back of the closet.

Regardless of your storage choices, make sure that your long guns are securely fastened so that they don't bounce around. Foam and velcro are your friends here. Soft cases for all your handguns and keep them from bouncing around.

I had my lady make soft gun cases out of heavy vinyl. They were cheap to make and give great protection from being banged around.

• 2 months later...

Figures out a locking storage method. Going to mount one of these under the hid-a-bed. Should hold 2 rifles and 2 shotguns. Will need to work up some padding but got some friends in the packaging industry who can get me some materials to work with.

https://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets/products/75

Foam pipe insulation works great. Opens up to accept a firearm, can be glued down if needed, cut as required. And, most importantly IMO, cheap!

Be sure you cover the foam with some wool trade cloth. I have has issues with foam causing rust.

YMMV

Open cell foam (like those used in cheap rotomolded gun cases) will hold moisture.

I'll be using Ethafoam. It hydrophobic. We use it for packaging medical devices in Military cases. Guns will also be in silicone impregnated gun socks.

big thing most people don't think of,,, all of the locks except for the main door are the same in RVs, ie one key will open another campers storage holds,,,,, change out all the outside locks....

I seem to remember a guy named Col. Dan write about this very issue years ago on his website when he and his wife went to living in an RV full time. I think it was around 2008 or thereabouts. I seem to remember that he installed a gun locker on its back under a bench seat but this also could be my imagination making stuff up.

big thing most people don't think of,,, all of the locks except for the main door are the same in RVs, ie one key will open another campers storage holds,,,,, change out all the outside locks....

Ahhhh you are referring to the infamous CH751 key. I have only one hatch that key will open, the fresh water fill cover.

Our 5th wheel has a number pad for entry. Like it a lot.

This is VERY simple.

Who are you trying to keep out? You're only answer here is "honest people" like kids, etc. Anyone hell bent on taking those guns would drag a safe out of home...it's been done. I have a 5th wheel and there is no way to protect guns from a determined thief. But there are solutions.

1 - concealment. Making something look like something it's not, will buy you time and also keep kids out. The guns definitely need to be locked up, or at least have gun locks on them, to protect children. Most thieves want to get in and out, so safes can work in that regard, but you can buy a lot of #2 and have total coverage with the same money.

2 Insurance - homeowner's is NOT a solution here, or anywhere IMO. Ever see the movie Rainmaker, "Deny, deny, deny". Even if you have a good insurance company, there's the "value" of the gun. Good luck arguing that your SASS have $400 of smithing making them worth twice retail. And, if you get that slot machine to payout, they will raise your premiums. Just the house, they always get their money back.

Historic Firearms offers excellent coverage, no hassle claims and you won't be arguing values. 35 cents per $100 is the best rate I have found. You don't have to provide appraisals, unless you have one item worth $10,000 or more. The insure ALL types of sporting equipment, fly fishing, HAM radio, etc., etc. everything but your ammo. And they cover it while it's out of the home, you just have to list how that occurs. Guns shows weekly, occasional hunting, etc. Jack runs it and he's easy to deal with. I have no affiliation with the them, or Eastern Insurance which provides their coverage.

3) Security System - nothing wrong with installed a wireless system that will scream like hell when the 5th wheel is compromised. A motion sensor in their would work to trip an alarm and scared the thief off. Some systems can dial out. Probably makes sense to call you vs the police, but at least you have haul arse back and see what's going on.

Ahhhh you are referring to the infamous CH751 key. I have only one hatch that key will open, the fresh water fill cover.

Our 5th wheel has a number pad for entry. Like it a lot.

I can break into my house with a box cutter. My 5th wheel I could do with a screw driver.

I can break into my house with a box cutter. My 5th wheel I could do with a screw driver.

We usually try to stay in Parks with good security. Firearms will be inside the 5th wheel concealed in locked steel cabinet. I know I can't stop a determined thief but we will do out best not to look like a viable target.

As we are selling the home and becoming Gypsies for a while I'm not sure how to do Insurance without a house. Have a policy thru Good sam that will cover items stolen from the RV but the rest of the firearms are going into storage for 30 days (traveling in PODS)

We usually try to stay in Parks with good security. Firearms will be inside the 5th wheel concealed in locked steel cabinet. I know I can't stop a determined thief but we will do out best not to look like a viable target.

As we are selling the home and becoming Gypsies for a while I'm not sure how to do Insurance without a house. Have a policy thru Good sam that will cover items stolen from the RV but the rest of the firearms are going into storage for 30 days (traveling in PODS)

Give Jack at Historic Firearms a call. He might be able to insure your guns. We didn't have an RV conversation, but these folks specialize in gun insurance.

You might look under that bed where the mechanicals are, My old fifth wheel had hydraulic slides even with the hydraulic parts there was still room for a box that held six long guns, It was pretty well concealed and probably safe from a smash and grab guy or kids but wouldn't stop a pro that knows rv's.

Willy B'

You might look under that bed where the mechanicals are, My old fifth wheel had hydraulic slides even with the hydraulic parts there was still room for a box that held six long guns, It was pretty well concealed and probably safe from a smash and grab guy or kids but wouldn't stop a pro that knows rv's.

Willy B'

Got a great spot under the Hide A Bed. The in wall cabinet I ordered will fit nice. Once bolted in It will take some real work to get it open cause cause there won't be a lot of room to work.

Archived