SASS Wire Forum

Heard it but didn't see it.

Key Hay

So I was the Posse Marshall at a local match this weekend. I was running the clock for a shooter where there was movement with the shotgun. The shooter picked up the 97 shotgun and put in a shell and took two steps. I thought I heard the the slide go forward but I didn't see it. I let the shooter continue the stage. Upon completion of the stage I looked back at my spotters to see if they had seen a violation. They all looked back at me and stated it was up to the RO to make the call.

I made a call….No call, since I did not see it, only heard it. The shooter maintained proper control of the barrel and did nothing else to cause me any safety concern.

PWB, I didn't catch up with you at the match to ask you about this. You headed out while I was helping put away steel.

Key,

sometimes, the slide action on the 97 can slide forward alittle, maybe an inch or so, just by holding it by the forearm.

When that happens, the shooter can 'rack it back' and it will make 'the noise'.

It highly probably that you did hear it. But its equally possible that the action never closed.

..........Widder

Well, I ain't PWB, but I'm pretty sure everybody is a safety officer, and if a spotter saw it, that spotter should call it. The spotters didn't say they didn't see it, just that they weren't going to call it.

If any of the spotters witnessed the violation, it is up to them to relay that information to the T/O...then he "makes the call" based on that input.

That is one of their listed functions in the RO1 "job description".

REF: RO1 pp. 6-9

Key,

does your club allow movement with shells in the SG as long as the action is open?

Are you saying that the shooter put a shell in the action, took 2 steps, AND THEN, you thought you heard the "slide go forward".

I see nothing against SASS rules about this UNLESS you are saying that after you heard the slide go forward, the shooter continued to make more steps.

Is that the deal?

..........Widder

I looked around to get a conformation but the spotters didn't have a clear view (it was a narrow shooting lane with props on either side). I was doing my best to watch that the shooter was being safe (it was an unusually warm day for this club). But as I had to follow the shooter up the lane I was almost directly behind. For the next two shots I got a better angle to see.

On the next stage (shot on the same bay the shooter was very careful of their steps. I'm pretty sure this experience will be sticking with them for a while.

Widder…They stick to the rules pretty well. After all I turned around after shooting the second stage and saw PWB Standing back there. He wasn't shooting, just came to visit.

I looked around to get a conformation but the spotters didn't have a clear view (it was a narrow shooting lane with props on either side). I was doing my best to watch that the shooter was being safe (it was an unusually warm day for this club). But as I had to follow the shooter up the lane I was almost directly behind. For the next two shots I got a better angle to see.

On the next stage (shot on the same bay) the shooter was very careful of their steps. I'm pretty sure this experience will be sticking with them for a while.

Widder…They stick to the rules pretty well. After all I turned around after shooting the second stage and saw PWB Standing back there. He wasn't shooting, just came to visit.

Key Hay,

You never know where or when I might show up.

I believe I gave the Canby RO1 class attendees fair warning that they would be under observation for some time after getting their yaller pins.

If not, consider it done now.

;)

Kay I think you made the correct call as the doubt goes to the shooter you heard the movement but you never saw movement with the action fully closed, now did you. You polled your spotters and they would or could say they saw it closed and further movement made. I would ask point blank did you see him move with the action closed if they say they were unable to see from their locations fine, now if they refuse to answer the point blank question I would replace the spotters and have someone else take the time while it was discussed future off the line. If the still refused to say yeh or nay I would ask them politely to find another job while I'm the to since they don't have your back. It's not like they are hanging some one it just a game and the to can't do everything.

Hey PWB - I'll be looking for ya, but if ya let me know yer coming, I'll make sure to bring enough cash to buy ya lunch after the match :D

Will do!

Thanks!

;)

Archived