SASS Wire Forum

Walking heels or riding heels?

Carlos Murphy # 873

Just renewed my subscription to American Cowboy magazine after a 5 year absents.

Couldn't find a boot with a riding heel on it in the whole magazine !!!

We turnin into a bunch a wooses?

What's up wid dat?

Carlos Murphy

The Duke didn't wear walking heels!

Because Duke rode a golf cart around between takes.

Most of the good brand of Ropers have a Spur Shelf for the spur

to ride on. What heel after that just does not matter.

SO. Cowboys got smarter and wear boots that are more comfortable

for riding and working in.

Riding heels are for, maybe possibly, riding?

I wear Justin Ropers with that nice walking heel. I walk around the match, and afterwards will ride a nice comfy horseless carriage where heels and spurs do not improve the driving experience.

Also possibly because whenever this cowboy gets near a horse, the horse says, "You ain't puttin' that oversized galoot on this pony's back, no sir!" I would need a Clydesdale to avoid looking like ... well nevermind.

The White Company 'Packers' only come in Riding Heel.

I can wear them all day at a match w/o difficulties. Wouldn't want to walk five miles in them.

But, if had been given a choice, I would probably have selected the Walking Heel. I asked, and they wouldn't have built me a pair with walking heels for whatever reason.

I've been wearing boots with the cuban heel from David Espinosa and yes by the end of the match my feet do feel it a bit, but then again I'm arthritic all over and I doubt that a simple change in heel would make any difference.

At some point, cowboys realized they have to get off their horses sometimes, I suppose. Although ropers are the "new" style (my current pair of ropers are about fifteen years old), the style is actually quite old. On one merchant's website they have a picture of a civil war boot from a museum. If a pants leg were pulled down over the shaft of the boot, it would look very much like a modern roper, particularly the heel.

Another thought is that styles and tastes change over time. As I recall, having only glanced through one or two of the magazines, it reflects cowboy and ranch life both past and present. At the present time, the roper / walking heel is more the style.

I have worn riding heals since 6 or 7 years old and still do, however my feet may dictate a change in the future.

Johnny M.

+1 My feet have already dictated to me the change

Just renewed my subscription to American Cowboy magazine after a 5 year absents.

Couldn't find a boot with a riding heel on it in the whole magazine !!!

We turnin into a bunch a wooses?

What's up wid dat?

Carlos Murphy

The Duke didn't wear walking heels!

How many even know the difference

I do,I a have em both

Riding heels look cool to, but are custom order, as few ride these days

At some point, cowboys realized they have to get off their horses sometimes, I suppose. Although ropers are the "new" style (my current pair of ropers are about fifteen years old), the style is actually quite old. On one merchant's website they have a picture of a civil war boot from a museum. If a pants leg were pulled down over the shaft of the boot, it would look very much like a modern roper, particularly the heel.

Another thought is that styles and tastes change over time. As I recall, having only glanced through one or two of the magazines, it reflects cowboy and ranch life both past and present. At the present time, the roper / walking heel is more the style.

Yep. I started wearing Roper style boots 35 years ago. Was not AS popular then. Lots or cowboys and ranch hands

wore them. But not many of the drug store ones did.

Just a plan roper was all you could get.

Then they caught on with everyone else. They got a little more stylish. And the price went UP.

Yep. I started wearing Roper style boots 35 years ago. Was not AS popular then. Lots or cowboys and ranch hands

wore them. But not many of the drug store ones did.

Just a plan roper was all you could get.

Then they caught on with everyone else. They got a little more stylish. And the price went UP.

My first pair weren't that expensive. My second pair, a bit more so. Both Justins. The prices these days explain why my current pair are as old as they are. They are still in good condition, and I only wear them to shoot in or to the occasional horse show.

I need to get a new pair eventually, because I have been prescribed orthotics since I got them, and they don't fit along with my foot. I can wear them for a day with no real ill effects, but a couple of days and I start knowing about it.

Archived