SASS Wire Forum

What's the Call

dutch bear

I agree, Stopped the video at the point of the shot gun shuck on the second set and he is a LONG way from the vertical, indicated by mr. LG

But still folks keep hunting something to hang him on. :(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical Wire...

First, I wrote the stages.

Second, it was a SASS match

Third, I don't write BaaBaa stages...let the shooter be creative.

Forth, it took about 120 seconds to educate the counters on the SASS RULES!!!!!!!!

Never once did he move both feet with a live round chambered...Geeze...he ain't running fer gawds sake!!!! He's moving very slowly as he's shooting.

Not everything needs to be redefined to meet YOUR idea of what's proper.

I think I'm going to hibernate for another 6 or so weeks...

Phantom

You ain't got time to hibernate.....you gotta get yeowndangself over to Slick's place this month and win the Speed SG side match..... ;)

..........Widder

Dylan is a very talented shooter, shooting the stage in the manner it was designed. Everything he did in that video was SASS legal.He is talented, young, and very fast; as well as a first class gentleman. He and other young shooters like him are the future of our game; we should be supporting them instead of looking for ways to discourage them!

Unfortunately many SASS shooters are not use to shooting a single gun from multiple locations.

If you wrote a stage with three shooting locations and instructions said to fire at least one shot from each gun at each location while engaging the targets, I would venture to say that multiple SDQs would be handed out before you were hung from the facade.

Such a stage, in my belief, should be in an ACTION shooters education at the monthly match level.

The problem is not that it can't be done safely. The problem is one of training/teaching how to do it safely and withing the rules. Every shooter should know how to move SAFELY with a loaded gun in hand.

I am sure that in a gunfight, one did not wait for a gun to become empty to move from window, to door, to other window while engaging those pesky bad guys.

Perhaps baby steps should be taken...... Engage targets using both pistols as needed and using 3 different shooting locations.

There should be a little gunfighter in every shooter now and then and a perfect application of the infamous Rattler John sweep.

Unfortunately many SASS shooters are not use to shooting a single gun from multiple locations.

If you wrote a stage with three shooting locations and instructions said to fire at least one shot from each gun at each location while engaging the targets, I would venture to say that multiple SDQs would be handed out before you were hung from the facade.

Such a stage, in my belief, should be in an ACTION shooters education at the monthly match level.

The problem is not that it can't be done safely. The problem is one of training/teaching how to do it safely and withing the rules. Every shooter should know how to move SAFELY with a loaded gun in hand.

I am sure that in a gunfight, one did not wait for a gun to become empty to move from window, to door, to other window while engaging those pesky bad guys.

Perhaps baby steps should be taken...... Engage targets using both pistols as needed and using 3 different shooting locations.

There should be a little gunfighter in every shooter now and then and a perfect application of the infamous Rattler John sweep.

What's your experience in writing stages?

Do folks like YOUR stages?????

Phantom...Had a blast today...not the least of which was your stages. Watching Matt was unbelievable...14 secs on stage five I believe. Walking and shooting....to cool for school. He is a pleasure to watch, and a hard working posse member. Your heads up to counters was brief and informative. Glad to see you back on the Wire. Quit hibernating, or since it's summer that would be quit estivating.

Jim

OMG-Give it a rest :rolleyes:

MB has the speed and skill, we mortals can only dream of :excl:

LG

Why don't we give trying to call something that's not there a rest.

Just get tired of people trying to call and questioning everything he does as not legal.

Was not long ago someone else started a post about something else he did. Then before that they

had to make a whole rule about something he did that was legal.

No wonder our good young shooters keep leaving to other things, and other shooting sports.

And other young shooter that wins at a major match. 100% legal. But gets jumped on about something

and then we don't see them back the next time.

It's really sad.

If you shoot at the back of the pack, people will try and help you with every aspect of your actions.

As soon as you start beating those same people they will question every aspect of your actions.

When you do things great, great attention comes your way.

This happens with great Praise AND, this happens with great Criticism.

The praise is often justified. The sad part is that the criticism is rarely earned.

..........Widder

Griz I was saying take the video to prove he was within the rules. True it can not over turn their secession any more than some point out an edge it to them but they can if they see for a fact that he was within the rules change their vote to the correct one. He should be given the benefit of the doubt to begin with so the video shouldn't be needed unless some one was positive that he move with a foot in the air.

OK, let me set a couple of things straight

1 it has never been my goal to harm the shooter in any way(reed my first post!!!!!!)

2 if someone post video of himself in a public place as Youtube or FB he should be aware that people will see this an might comment on this(happened to me as a shooter and as anTO)

3 in my opinion if something needs an "hour of discussion" or an explanation to spotters and the posse we are getting close to the edge of the rules, So is it so strange that I asked?

I'm asking in the great cowboy spirit and hope that everybody will honor that spirit in their answer

P.S. I have my answer, thanks Pale Wolf

Dutch Bear

No wonder our good young shooters keep leaving to other things, and other shooting sports.

And other young shooter that wins at a major match. 100% legal. But gets jumped on about something

and then we don't see them back the next time.

It's really sad.

The youth leaves because they grow up and go off to get an education, career and a life with people in their own age group.. The ones still at home , after turning 15yo,, well you know, pursue friendship with like minded people their own age. Then there are the few that still shoot because they are being sponsored by parents and have a very very strong family tie.

3 in my opinion if something needs an "hour of discussion" or an explanation to spotters and the posse we are getting close to the edge of the rules, So is it so strange that I asked?

You took a conversation in which you was not part of and in where he was JOKING with his friends about

that it was even a question or discussion at all.

When he said that. If you really read it. HE WAS JOKING. It only took a VERY short time to explain the rule

to those that did not know it.

You took a conversation in which you was not part of and in where he was JOKING with his friends about

that it was even a question or discussion at all.

When he said that. If you really read it. HE WAS JOKING. It only took a VERY short time to explain the rule

to those that did not know it.

I know a joke or sarcasm, but still I stand by my point that if it needs that much explanation (however much that was) there was a need for explanation for a lot of people, and it should not be strange that I asked

as to me not being part of the conversation, if you post something on FB you are sharing it with 1.3 billion people.

Dutch Bear

Actually...if you've been around...shooting for a long time, I would expect you to have seen drawn out discussions on a whole host of issues...many of which are simple clear calls. The reason? Because some folks are clueless on the rules...and some of them even wear ROII badges!!!

Phantom

Actually...if you've been around...shooting for a long time, I would expect you to have seen drawn out discussions on a whole host of issues...many of which are simple clear calls. The reason? Because some folks are clueless on the rules...and some of them even wear ROII badges!!!

Phantom

Phantom you are wright I have seen discussions on total clear subjects ,

but in my opinion it is the cowboy way to, courteously and politely explain to the people what the rules say and why

so that they understand an don't have to ask again

P.S. if I understand correctly you where the stage designer? would you be willing to post the stage description, or e-mail it to me, I'm a bit of a gamer myself and I would love to understand Why het shot it the way he did

Maybe we should use shooting boxes to eliminate the potential ssue. We used to.

yuck!!!!! there was a regional that did that a couple years ago, folks threatened not to return if the boxes did!

Maybe we should use shooting boxes to eliminate the potential ssue. We used to.

What issue??? That folks don't know the rules??

Other than that. Where is the issue??

Lets add fun. Not be put into boxes.

And lets see. Why would someone want to shoot it that way?? Hummm?

Could it be. Because they are talented enough to. Because it adds a little more

challenge and fun for them. And they can do all that in 14 seconds.

Sounds like reason enough for me.

Just wish I was talented enough to do it. :( But then. A man has to know there limitations. :huh:

Hi Folks,

The replies about boxes are confusing to me. IIRC, the shooting box was a large area where you would not be penalized for movement with a cocked gun or traveling.

So, I don't know why someone would complain about being "put in boxes."

Am I not remembering correctly? If, so, please explain what boxes were.

Regards,

Allie

Phantom, I appreciate your quite brief elucidation of the rules for me and the other two spotters for MB's stage. As I told you then, I always learn stuff when I shoot with you.

I truly appreciate the constant updated videos of Matt Black. I enjoy watching him grow in both speed and skill. I hope he, Colt Faro and their many fans realize that there will always be detractors. Please don't stop posting videos.

yuck!!!!! there was a regional that did that a couple years ago, folks threatened not to return if the boxes did!

What was the issue? One club I shot with for years fior monthly matches used them with no issues.

Not a bad idea........if those boxes are 10' x 30'....... :D

..........Widder

I have shot numerous stages that had targets, props, etc and the shooter was instructed to for example "stage guns safely and shoot every target at least twice from anywhere with any gun with no double taps". A bit of a challenge for the spotters tho.

What was the issue? One club I shot with for years fior monthly matches used them with no issues.

You were required to have both feet in the box while shooting.

The boxes were small

Most normal size Pards found it near next to impossible to take a normal stance and be in the box

Hi Wyatt,

Thanks for that information. That is just the opposite of the boxes that I remember were, at one time, allowed in the rules.

I've seen those too. It never occurred to me that they were complaint worthy. Then, they were not small. Most of those I've seen were about 4' x 4'. They are not common around here.

Regards,

Allie Mo

You were required to have both feet in the box while shooting.

The boxes were small

Most normal size Pards found it near next to impossible to take a normal stance and be in the box

The shooting boxes we used were descriptive, shoot anywhere between point A and B or on the move between point A and B.

The "Stage"...

10 Pistol - holstered
10 Rifle - Staged on table
4+ Shotgun - Staged on barrel
Cody Dixon - Rifle staging the same. Double Tap sweep from the back.

Starting Position: High Surrender, behind “Pistol” sign or standing behind Barrel. (Two options: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun OR Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol)

Shooter's line: “One...there was a time when I’d have gotten all three”

At Beep - Pistol sequence: Engage both R1 and R7 at least two times AND KD the cowboys. (Only Cowboys left standing and misses on R1 and R7 count as misses.). With Rifle, engage in a 2-1-2 sweep starting on either end (No Quad Taps). Shotgun sequence: KD the shotgun targets in any order. (NOTE: If finishing with Pistols, shooter must move to within reach of the “Pistol” sign)

Hi Allie

4' x 4' is GARGANTUAN

I was gonna say you haven't seen some of the cowboys around here. But, then I remembered that it only says your feet have to be in the 4' x 4' box. :blush:

Archived