SASS Wire Forum

"I Pay Your Salary!"

Subdeacon Joe

Howdy- I know that this was a theatrical production; in real life, some officers may have taken the opportunity to escalate the contact into an "arrestable" offense, such as the ever popular Disorderly Conduct ( which ,by word of mouth [what, no written memo?] some officers would use as a "tool" to discourage "P.O.P." ; pi**ing- off police ) . Even by the 1980s, ADAM 12 was only a memory, if it existed at all.

I rather liked the way the idiotic comment was handled in that clip. Way back, mid-'70s I think it was, I heard that comment directed at an officer, and his response was something like, "Yes, you do, sir. And since I also pay taxes, "I" pay my salary too." The irate citizen had his finger raised and mouth open to make another point and just froze.

Lots of people tend to forget that cops are human and sometimes need to use the head, or take a sip of water, or just take a few minutes to decompress.

I watched as my father was accosted by just such a citizen one day when he was in uniform. He was in line in a drug store and the lady behind the counter gave him that line. He just grinned and in his best smarta$$ demeanor replied, "Yes Ma'am! And every time I spend money here, I pay your salary too, but I don't have to shop here!" He smiled more broadly and payed for his purchase and walked away. She stood there with her mouth open too.

I rather liked the way the idiotic comment was handled in that clip. Way back, mid-'70s I think it was, I heard that comment directed at an officer, and his response was something like, "Yes, you do, sir. And since I also pay taxes, "I" pay my salary too." The irate citizen had his finger raised and mouth open to make another point and just froze.

Lots of people tend to forget that cops are human and sometimes need to use the head, or take a sip of water, or just take a few minutes to decompress.

"I" pay my salary too."

Ha! same line I use to give and the same response! :lol:

A buddy of mine told me of the time some fella was giving him that guff... and Don said "So I just looked 'im in the eye and said 'Mister, yes you do. And so does everyone else. And as I figger it, your contribution comes to about one cent per month. So here,' and I hands the guy a quarter, 'I don't wanna hear another peep from you for the next two years!'" :lol:

Don always had such a way with words... :rolleyes:

"I" pay my salary too."

Ha! same line I use to give and the same response! :lol:

You pay more of your own salary than I do, you make more!! :D

And NO, I am not complaining.

Rather than use a well crafted and pithy comeback when people said that to me, I just ignored it. It usually just enrages the citizen rather than put them in their place and they end up going bonkers or filing a complaint. But not on TV shows.

I have dozens of hilarious, cutting retorts saved up that I never used. :)

Rather than use a well crafted and pithy comeback when people said that to me, I just ignored it. It usually just enrages the citizen rather than put them in their place and they end up going bonkers or filing a complaint. But not on TV shows.

We'll said. I've found that to be the case also.

Cannot type what the desk Sgt. had to say to those folks when they called in to complain. Sometimes the Sgt. would tell me it made his day. Other times he said he would be the first in line for the complaint and that would be the end of it. I could hear the Captain say to the Sgt. , "You said what!" :o Then the Capt. would say, let me talk to them. Boy, the language that would fly then. :wacko:

I find that the best way to handle this kind of citizen also. They're just looking for you to comment so they can file a complaint.

Case in point; however, it was deserved and a classic.

Several years ago, I was a deputy, my sergeant and I were dealing with a particular nasty citizen who was spouting this same particular comment. My sergeant took out and tossed the guy a quarter. He told him since he wasn't happy with the service he was reimbursing him with interest for the last 10 years he paid for our salary. Considering the guy was jobless and had just gotten out of prison I think the sergeant overpaid. The dirtbag complained and the sergeant bought a letter of reprimand for conduct unbecoming. He'll tell you it was worth it.

Be safe out there.

JEL

Howdy- I know that this was a theatrical production; in real life, some officers may have taken the opportunity to escalate the contact into an "arrestable" offense, such as the ever popular Disorderly Conduct ( which ,by word of mouth [what, no written memo?] some officers would use as a "tool" to discourage "P.O.P." ; pi**ing- off police ) . Even by the 1980s, ADAM 12 was only a memory, if it existed at all.

You definitely watch to much TV.

I've heard this comment and a whole lot worse spouted to me and other deputies and officers for 20+ years and I've never seen the person arrested for it. 99.999% of LEOs do it right everyday but guys like you have to pull the .001% that err. Unbelievable.

JEL

Howdy again;

just for parties following the thread- JEL does not know me, nor anything about what my television watching habits might be. Nor does he know anything of my background, aside form things I may have, in the past, posted here ( that is, unless he has dug in, found my name, and done an unjustified background check on me; which was another "spoken of" practice back in the 1980s See a theme emerging here? I can only imagine that the info comes easier today, when a "LEO" has a starting point ) By the way , John, I think you meant "too much" , instead of "to much" in regard to TV. There was then, in the 1980s , the emerging trend of LEOs looking upon "citizens" as being somehow beneath the status a LEO was to enjoy. YES there ARE citizens ( please wrap your head around the idea that "LEOs" are citizens, who have been entrusted to "serve and protect" ,and are not excused from polite conduct ) who are not the picture of good manners, regardless of being badged or badgeless. The increasingly self evident "us vs. them" attitude displayed by policing organizations is quite different than that I saw while in high school. Go to a website called "police state usa" for a look. Jus' sayin'. Even your alias, John, is intended to point out the "difference". No an attack, but, yes, an observation.

And here we go.

There's a ball game on.

Adios pards.

Then let us hear them.

Howdy again;

just for parties following the thread- JEL does not know me, nor anything about what my television watching habits might be. Nor does he know anything of my background, aside form things I may have, in the past, posted here ( that is, unless he has dug in, found my name, and done an unjustified background check on me; which was another "spoken of" practice back in the 1980s See a theme emerging here? I can only imagine that the info comes easier today, when a "LEO" has a starting point ) By the way , John, I think you meant "too much" , instead of "to much" in regard to TV. There was then, in the 1980s , the emerging trend of LEOs looking upon "citizens" as being somehow beneath the status a LEO was to enjoy. YES there ARE citizens ( please wrap your head around the idea that "LEOs" are citizens, who have been entrusted to "serve and protect" ,and are not excused from polite conduct ) who are not the picture of good manners, regardless of being badged or badgeless. The increasingly self evident "us vs. them" attitude displayed by policing organizations is quite different than that I saw while in high school. Go to a website called "police state usa" for a look. Jus' sayin'. Even your alias, John, is intended to point out the "difference". No an attack, but, yes, an observation.

Blah, blah, blah!!

JEL

Archived