SASS Wire Forum

So I just bought a Henry Evil Roy

Burnt Beans

I have been looking at .22 rifles for side matches I found a Henry Evil Roy today and fell in love with it. It was very smooth. I like the big loop but it makes it hard to run it very fast. I know I could change the leaver out for a standard one but I would like to keep it. Do they make a short stroke kit for the Henry .22's Thanks for any and all help and suggestions you Ole Cowboys have.

First most people like the Henry .22's. It's the big boy they don't like.

I like them enough to have 4 of the Golden Boy .22's. One for me and one for each of my

grandson when they get old enough.

They do not make a SS for them. BUT. There are a few that have figured out how to do it.

Talk to Roy's Creek Dan. Shoots a lot at the club just out side of OKC not to far from you. I do believe he knows how.

Yes, a Henry 22 lever can be changed out. (There are no such things as LEAVERS on a gun, just LEAVERS at a meeting or party :lol: ). Lever can also be blocked with leather and padding to reduce the loop size down to fit your fingers.

It's rather rare that the winner of a 22 side match has had much done to slick up the 22 they shoot. Smoothing is not too hard to do on Henry's 22s. Being lots of that action is die cast zinc/aluminum alloy, an action job is going to wear out faster than normal. Most folks with Henry's just shoot them until the rough spots wear in. The stroke on the Henry I have is already pretty short. About the only one shorter is the Browning lever, and lots of folks give up trying to use it because the stroke is too short (something like a 22 degree travel).

I find the cheap crude sights on Henry's to be the biggest detriment to combined speed and accuracy, not the action. I don't like trusting my aim to plastic parts.

Good luck, GJ

The henry .22 bolt simply travels further than necessary to eject and pick up another round......so alll you have to do to short stroke one is to install a stop inside the receiver so that the lever travels just enough for the spent shell to hit the ejector and maybe a little further for insurnace. Doing that will achieve a lever stroke that is very similar to the shortest of short stroke kits for 73's and the rifle will still function perfectly.

The BL-22 Brownings lever actuates a bell crank which in turn actuates the bolt to achieve the 33 deg. lever stroke. This has an overdrive effect making the amount of force necessary to move the bolt and cock the hammer high when compared to other designs. You can lighten the mainspring to a point and polish to your hearts content but my experience was that the amount of force was still too high when compared to the Henry design. I love the BL's and their quality but I think they are best left alone.

It is my opinion that the cheap blued round barrel Henry is the best lever .22 for speed and is my choice for that purpose. It is fun to be competitive in a local .22 steel challenge match with a inexpensive lever gun....makes the red dot sighted .22 AR look semi auto folks cringe when beaten by a shooter with a lever rifle. ;)

The inexpensive Henry is a hoot to shoot and can be smoothed out quite a bit. Probably toothpaste and cycling a few thousand times would work. The biggest thing to conquer on a single action revolver, or lever, or pump is the hammer/mainspring. Tweaking the main spring will give quite a bit of difference.

And the sights need a lot of improvement. I choose to put an ivory shotgun bead on mine. I seek acquisition fast rather than refine it for the utmost accuracy.

CopyofWinchester22lr001_zpse84561ab.jpg

Well, I guess I put a gold shotgun bead on mine :).

I think Gene has his name everywhere. Marketing genius?

Uh, I do not think so. I doubt very seriously Uberti is buying HRC 22s and putting their name on them. They may have stolen the design, they do look quite alike, but I bet they are made in Italy

Same gun as the Golden Boy. Just a different color is all.

Uh, I do not think so. I doubt very seriously Uberti is buying HRC 22s and putting their name on them. They may have stolen the design, they do look quite alike, but I bet they are made in Italy

Ops. You are right. I did not see the Uberti silver boy.

I was thinking about the Henry Repeating Arms Sliver Boy.

Well both companies cannot be using the name Silverboy. Haven't seen any ads for a HRC silver 22, just the GB and the black version, I believe it's called the "Frontier" model.

That's the one I want. I just cannot justify the expense of it. My old standard H01 has been a great gun and continues to just soldier on forever. Had it for years, I think I gave $179 for it at megalomart back in the day when they first came out.

Someday when I get up in the chips I will have one of those Frontiers...

Archived