SASS Wire Forum

Have you read the Chronicle since it went digital?

Shootin Straight

The point was that in many cases there is little difference between profit and not for profit clubs, organizations, etc. Every time the highly paid NRA officials go to their three martini lunches where do you think that money comes from. Not knocking the NRA, I love it, but the reality is this "not for profit" entity has hundreds of millions of dollars of property paid for by the members.

So true.

All the non profit organizations (sierra club, Mother Earth, Save the Whale, Save the earth, Red Cross, Blue Cross, Green Cross, save the whatnots) have their hand out for donations, memberships, contributions, whatever because it brings in money for 'their' salaries, benefits, travel expenses, rent, lights, water, entertainment and what ever else they can think of. lf anything is left over, then it is spent on whatever they are saving. I would imagine 70% of dues, donations and contributions are used for the Overhead Expenses, and the remaining 30% is for the 'cause'.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it sucks and was a stupid Ida to drop the CC IMHO :angry:

With that being said .

The CC is not CAS and CAS is Not just SASS .

I love to come out and shoot with Pards and see old and new friends .

I am a local ONLY shooter and really dont need to be a SASS member :unsure: .

I gave it some thought of dropping my membership to SASS.

But I realized SASS is a for profit business, and SASS as a hole is NOT just CAS .

Its a way of life not just get dressed up as a cowboy on Saturday or Sunday and play cowboy .

For me CAS is just that .

I only get to play the game one or two times a month ( lately once a month if that )

The People who live and breath the SASS way of life is hear for more then just the CC.

This will not affect its long term membership .

Do I think it sucks YES I DO.

Is it the END ALL BE ALL No its not.

Right on....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

We can drag this on and on...

But for me and others the Digital version was the last straw. We can try to drag in the NRA (as if that somehow makes sense) but for a $25 NRA membership there I get a PRINTED magazine, life insurance, gun insurance, a Hat or other goody, active Lobbying, etc, etc...so on a strict Cost basis a BETTER deal then SASS!

But as for some SASS/CAS is a way of life or attitude, so is the 2nd Amendment fight for me. I am a NRA ILA EVC and have been for Years, Past FONRA Chairman etc, etc. So once again you can try to compare the two and I've WON more GUNS in the NRA events, received more Honors then in SASS, etc....

So lets not try to compare them since SASS comes up short that way to me...

Be satisfied with the Answer that YES for many of us the Printed Chronicle was the most tangible link to SASS and it's loss was missed and for many the end of their SASS envolvement...

But for me and others the Digital version was the last straw. We can try to drag in the NRA (as if that somehow makes sense) but for a $25 NRA membership there I get a PRINTED magazine, life insurance, gun insurance, a Hat or other goody, active Lobbying, etc, etc...so on a strict Cost basis a BETTER deal then SASS!

But as for some SASS/CAS is a way of life or attitude, so is the 2nd Amendment fight for me. I am a NRA ILA EVC and have been for Years, Past FONRA Chairman etc, etc. So once again you can try to compare the two and I've WON more GUNS in the NRA events, received more Honors then in SASS, etc....

Be satisfied with the Answer that YES for many of us the Printed Chronicle was the most tangible link to SASS and it's loss was missed and for many the end of their SASS envolvement...

A nice succinct statement Snake. Now maybe its time to get back to the original question, "who reads the digital Chronicle?"

Yes, even I have read the online version, but I do miss the silly old paper rag. That being said, it seems that participating in the game is what we came to the sport for in the 1st place. If beating up the organization is now someone's life goal..... well that doesn't seem like the cowboy way! Time to find a new sport.... sport!

My tangible link to SASS are the pards I get to shoot with...

GG

And my tangible link to CAS is the Pards I shoot with! The fun of Dressing up, Shooting Blackpowder, etc. Being a SASS member or not doesn't change that.

Yes, even I have read the online version, but I do miss the silly old paper rag. That being said, it seems that participating in the game is what we came to the sport for in the 1st place. If beating up the organization is now someone's life goal..... well that doesn't seem like the cowboy way! Time to find a new sport.... sport!

Talk to me in 20 years and then we can discuss this as equally experienced in CAS to compare notes...

And my tangible link to CAS is the Pards I shoot with! The fun of Dressing up, Shooting Blackpowder, etc. Being a SASS member or not doesn't change that.

No.. But it supports an organization that has allowed me to meet the best people in the world. To me.... That's worth more than some paper journal.

GG

No.. But it supports an organization that has allowed me to meet the best people in the world. To me.... That's worth more than some paper journal.

GG

+ 10000!!! Well said Gunner! :)

And that's OK. But for me after 20 years I felt I could vote with my $ over the loss and I haven't missed SASS. It has not diminished my CAS in the slightest. I DO miss the Chronicle as a tangible monthly link to SASS and what was going on. I read it page by page, over and over, read every ad.

The funny part to me is how many feel upset or disturbed by my take it or leave it attitude, hence the continued dialog about my posts...

You might take note that the Majority of Responses about the digital version by SASS members posting here is that they either just glance at in digital form or don't bother to read it...

That says something about the change...

And with that, I'll just mosey along, not a hill for me to die on one way or another. Got to get ready to Shoot Skeet Tomorrow and CAS on Sunday! (if I can drag Vixen out of Bed)

I would take the Chronicle to work and read every page. I would read it at home. I would reread good articles. It was worn out after I finished

The new digital version. I barely read the articles I am interested in. The advertisements are just crap I have to scroll through.

I still enjoy SASS and CAS. If I want to read about guns and gear, I usually get a copy of Guns of the Old West and enjoy some quality time.

JMHO, Castalia. Who usually keeps my opinions to mine own self.

And with that, I'll just mosey along, not a hill for me to die on one way or another. Got to get ready to Shoot Skeet Tomorrow and CAS on Sunday! (if I can drag Vixen out of Bed)

Happy Trails....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My tangible link to SASS are the pards I get to shoot with...

GG

Amen Brother !

I will be at Rockford tomorrow .

I hope to see you there.

Amen Brother !

I will be at Rockford tomorrow .

I hope to see you there.

Blessed man... I'm gonna be in Chicago for the next 8 days working IMTS. Shoot well.... Hey, we need to catch up over a beer (or two) sometime ;)

GG

I read it.

Nope, for the pards I am talking about who are quitting (and I sure wish some of y'all would quit shooting the messenger) -- the death of the paper CC was the only straw. It was not an escalation of issues or complaints or frustrations, it was purely and plain and simple the change to digital that put 'em out. They were perfectly content the way things had been going for decades and would still be members if the change had not occurred. Now they are gone and they ain't ever comin' back. And that's a dang dirty shame.

I cannot understand how some of y'all talk bad about the old rag. It's just a "silly" journal. Oh I line my birdcage with it. Or oh I use it to start a fire in the fireplace. I saved and cherished each and every one. Hard for y'all to grok I know but some of us actually collected the "silly" thing and would periodically go back thru old back issues and reflect. Just like I have every issue of Shoot, almost every issue of Trail's End, and every issue of GOTOW.

Before I got a confuser and encountered the phenomenom of time compression I would sometimes read the CC cover to cover four or five times before it went on the Stack for future reference. Hard for some of y'all to comprehend I know. Different strokes for different folks.

Blessed man... I'm gonna be in Chicago for the next 8 days working IMTS. Shoot well.... Hey, we need to catch up over a beer (or two) sometime ;)

GG

I would love too .

Any time .

Keep safe and God bless you and yours :)

The change to digital may just be the death knell for SASS as opposed to its salvation. We shall see.

As I stated in my post, there was no written guarantee of a paper CC in return for my $400 but it was durn sure very strongly IMPLIED.

I'd be utterly stunned were that to come to pass! Truth be told, I've not yet heard a single Cowboy Action Shooter I know so much as mention the matter one way or the other! If it is an issue for them, they are keeping awful quiet about it.

That said - I do miss the print copy myself, and to answer the OP's question, no I haven't really bothered with the online version. I took a peek, but it just wasn't the same somehow.

Archived