SASS Wire Forum

Have you read the Chronicle since it went digital?

Shootin Straight

Not since they tarred & feathered & rode Tex out of town on a rail for him stating his 'opinion' in his magazine, in the CC Editorial section. That always brought several pages of emosional responses on the Wire and most of the time, not in Tex's favor.

I guess the new guy that writes the Editorial hasn't inflamed anyone yet, because I haven't heard of the linching party on the Wire as so often was the case of years ago.

Yep, reading about a year old match that I know of no one in the article or pictures was OK,,,, I rather scanned the photos to see who all was dressed in all blue denim, wearing tenny runners or out of costume. :blush:

Seen one advertisement, as good a layout as it can be, but not interested in the product, you seen them all.

I understand why SASS went digital, economics.

When CC was paper, I probably spent 10 minutes skimming it,,, about the same amount for the National Rifeman magazine.

So, I am not too upset one way or the other.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I've read every issue since the Chronicle went digital. I've found that I read the whole thing now, and I haven't done that in years. I really like the PDF version!

Laz

+1

.pdf is the way to go.

My only concern is, "Are we harming all those little electrons with the digital version?"

cr

Luddite Dinosaurs ain't quite the 'future' of SASS anymore....SASS needs to do what it needs to build towards it's future. Change happens and we either complain or comply.... Some ( including me) do both :D

BTW: if folks are leaving SASS over a paper Chronicle - they weren't part of SASS in the first place.

GG

Well by golly they sure were and had been staunch members for years and years. Now they are gone and it will be dang nigh impossible to get 'em back in the fold. They are bitter and have not a good word to say about SASS anymore where before they were strong supporters. I would think that retaining them would be at least as high a priority as trying to recruit new younger folks who are not gonna have the disposable income of the dinosaurs. Folks like to be appreciated and the latest moves from HQ feels to them that they are just not. It's like a slap in the face. Most cowfolks ain't gonna say ok that's fine, I'll still ride for the brand. No, they are gonna move on and bad mouth the old outfit.

I will say again and no one can ever convince me otherwise -- worst decision in SASS history.

Nope. Not a glance since it went digital.

Just wondering why not ? I haven't read it as much as I used to because its not piled up with the mail . But when I do I think its fine . The pictures are way better that's for sure . Would love to know the paying member numbers pre/post digital . I think someone that quits SASS over this (not implying anybody specifically) is missing the big picture .

The big picture is that those not re-newing feel betrayed. Justifiably. When I paid for my first SASS membership it was a Life one. It may not have been stated but it was for sure very strongly implied that my 400 bucks entitled me to a paper CC for the rest of my natural life. Now obviously it did not and it's like the Judge hisownself always said, Life memberships are not a good deal for SASS which is why they were never strongly promoted. I knew 400 would not buy that much print and paper if I lived long enuff BUT and this is a big but, advertising would still make it a plus for SASS. Now with this new digital CC, the jury is still out on whether the advertisers are gonna stick around or not.

Lone Dog this topic was talked about very heavily when the paper changed but nobody at that time could produce anything that said the CC had to be paper. If you have such in your posseson I would feel you have a gripe. I would rather the paper change than SASS go out of business. How about you. Respectfully MW

The change to digital may just be the death knell for SASS as opposed to its salvation. We shall see.

As I stated in my post, there was no written guarantee of a paper CC in return for my $400 but it was durn sure very strongly IMPLIED.

The change to digital may just be the death knell for SASS as opposed to its salvation. We shall see.

As I stated in my post, there was no written guarantee of a paper CC in return for my $400 but it was durn sure very strongly IMPLIED.

Hello Lone Dog,

IMHO, implications and inferences are in the mind of the reader. Facts are "something known to be true" by many people. You state that there was no written guarantee of a paper CC." So, by that statement it should not be implied or inferred that the CC can only be provided in one specific form.

The promise of receiving a copy of the Cowboy Chronicle does not imply any specific means by which that copy is transmitted.

Calling the change to digital a potential "death knell for SASS" is an opinion that I do not believe to be true. Those of us who love this sport/game... know that SASS means much more than a paper's format.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have read a little in the e-edition but it is somewhat of a pain to do. Would be great if they developed a good e format.

Blackfoot

I think (hope?) that it does with time. Honestly, if they copied the American Rifleman format that would suit me just fine. It's very easy to read.

Well by golly they sure were and had been staunch members for years and years. Now they are gone and it will be dang nigh impossible to get 'em back in the fold. They are bitter and have not a good word to say about SASS anymore where before they were strong supporters. I would think that retaining them would be at least as high a priority as trying to recruit new younger folks who are not gonna have the disposable income of the dinosaurs. Folks like to be appreciated and the latest moves from HQ feels to them that they are just not. It's like a slap in the face. Most cowfolks ain't gonna say ok that's fine, I'll still ride for the brand. No, they are gonna move on and bad mouth the old outfit.

I will say again and no one can ever convince me otherwise -- worst decision in SASS history.

No they weren't - quitting SASS over the CC - lame...

'worst decision in SASS history' - lame...

There's a whole lot more to SASS than a newspaper....if you don't think so...wake up and get with the program.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Nope. Don't plan to either. I already spend enough time on the puter without having to read the Chronicle there too. Paper copy was much easier to read. Sitting next to my easy chair, it was easy to pick up and read a few pages every now & then instead of consciously devoting time to reading it in the office.

Fingers (Just call me a Luddite) McGee

Nope. Don't plan to either. I already spend enough time on the puter without having to read the Chronicle there too. Paper copy was much easier to read. Sitting next to my easy chair, it was easy to pick up and read a few pages every now & then instead of consciously devoting time to reading it in the office.

Fingers (Just call me a Luddite) McGee

Well, you do shoot C&B. ;) I now expect to see your name listed at matches as Fingers L. McGee.

No they weren't - quitting SASS over the CC - lame...

'worst decision in SASS history' - lame...

There's a whole lot more to SASS than a newspaper....if you don't think so...wake up and get with the program.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Sigh, I know so and have since May 96. I am always with the program so ye can quit doggin' my cats just anytime now pard. Seems you and one other ethereal one never pass up a chance to do so. I am only relating what others have told me and their thinking. They are not gonna get on here and speak for themselves for the same reason they are not about to read a digital CC -- they are not cybernetically inclined.

Mizmo no e, sigh again and also. I certainly do also hope and so say all of us that the death of the paper CC does not portend a downhill slide for the SASS org. I do ride for the brand and have for 2 decades now. That does not mean I must drink the kool aid and march in lock step with the myrmidons. My opinion stated thrice now on this thread is that killing the paper CC was and is the worst decision in SASS history. Those that do not agree with or like that opinion are free to have their own.

I can't tolerate the new Chronice and consider it a failure of SASS to consider the value of the newsletter and the agreement made by those who sent in their dues in the early Spring of this year before the announcement was made.

I appreciate the explanation as to the cost , etc. etc. and also I can empathize with the effort to produce a paper copy each month.

Why then was a bi-monthly option not implemented to solve both problems?

Also, why don't they send out an annual issue to keep the "spirit of the Chronicle alive"?

It seems that this would satisfy everything said about the situation thus far

I would also propose that $45 per year is indeed a bit much for the privelege to call yourself a SASS member and shoot at big matches.

just my opinion

No, I have tried it, but don't like it in digital format. As a side note my copies were always handed out usually to my Barber, sometimes to my Dentist. They both asked me why they haven't had a copy in quite a while..........

I have to use the desktop to read it which means leaving whatever I'm doing and traversing the mansion to the back bedroom that serves as office/computer room. Doesn't work well on the tablet and phone is just too small and it's annoying having to scroll back and forth. I have forgotten about the last couple of issues, in spite of the email reminder. Guess I'd have to say I haven't been reading it. The CC sat on the end table in the family room where I could see it to pick it up in a free moment and read something, set it down and come back to it another day. Out of sight, out of mind.

Yes, regularly, and still enjoy the articles and pictures (they are much better). Plus I don't have them piling up around the house.

I joined for the shooting, the paper was just a nice extra. Plus we still get it, just on the computer now.

The wire is on the computer and not a lot of griping about that, but a LOT of just griping on the wire.

That's why I quit writing articles for the CC...apparently hardly anyone reads it anymore...at least among those who hang out here on the Wire.

<_<

Sigh, I know so and have since May 96. I am always with the program so ye can quit doggin' my cats just anytime now pard. Seems you and one other ethereal one never pass up a chance to do so. I am only relating what others have told me and their thinking. They are not gonna get on here and speak for themselves for the same reason they are not about to read a digital CC -- they are not cybernetically inclined.

Mizmo no e, sigh again and also. I certainly do also hope and so say all of us that the death of the paper CC does not portend a downhill slide for the SASS org. I do ride for the brand and have for 2 decades now. That does not mean I must drink the kool aid and march in lock step with the myrmidons. My opinion stated thrice now on this thread is that killing the paper CC was and is the worst decision in SASS history. Those that do not agree with or like that opinion are free to have their own.

Ain't doggin' nothin' - and my opinion is and will always be that if someone quits SASS over not getting a paper CC hasn't embraced what SASS really is.... It's a a lame excuse and good riddance sez I.

GG

Why is it that I can get a two year subscription to Guns Of The Old West ( a very nice high gloss color photo mag) for less than one years membership to SASS? Granted it's a quartley magazine instead of monthly but SASS could've done something similar and avoided ticking off 90% of it's members

Not once

I've downloaded and saved them all, but just haven't gone back to read them yet. I've glanced, 'bout all so far. I wouldn't leave SASS for this, no way. At least not until I am layed off and broke(er). It has happened before.

Like many others, I no longer read the CC as much as I did when it was hardcopy. As Lou :wub: pointed out, it isn't necessarily as convenient as having it by my chair, and, other than the email delivery, I just don't think of it much.

As to people leaving CAS because they don't like the new venue, I don't think they were really into it. CAS is not the WIRE, not the CC, it is the shooting, the playing cowboy, and, above all, the friends on the range. No newspaper will ever come close to replacing the friendships I have made in CAS, both in person and online. How can a newpaper compared with, for example, Allie Mo :wub: and Lou Graham :wub: ? My life would be a whole lot poorer without them, but without the CC? Meh!

SASS is not CAS. Those who have told me they are not re-newing because of the change have not quit CAS. Just SASS. They are still committed to the game. They still shoot. They are just ticked off that something they enjoyed and thought they could count on to show up in their mailboxes as they thought they had been promised has been taken from them. If they only shoot local matches they do not feel the need to send in dues to an org they feel has done them wrong. I do not see how anyone can blame them, and to say good riddance to these our good pards is well unseemly.

I personally would still send in my dues even if I were not a Life member but I can certainly see their point.

If I were running SASS, the last thing I would even consider is losing those formerly loyal members. Makes no sense, kinda like cutting off your nose etc etc.

I know that those with a complaint are more likely to chime in than those who are happy. But if you look at the responses of pards in this thread it is clear more are unhappy than happy with the digital CC. It seeems only a few are reading the infernal electronical thing now. Those quitting us will be missed by the ptb I'm sure, at least their dues will be.

SASS is not CAS. Those who have told me they are not re-newing because of the change have not quit CAS. Just SASS. They are still committed to the game. They still shoot. They are just ticked off that something they enjoyed and thought they could count on to show up in their mailboxes as they thought they had been promised has been taken from them. If they only shoot local matches they do not feel the need to send in dues to an org they feel has done them wrong. I do not see how anyone can blame them, and to say good riddance to these our good pards is well unseemly.

I personally would still send in my dues even if I were not a Life member but I can certainly see their point.

If I were running SASS, the last thing I would even consider is losing those formerly loyal members. Makes no sense, kinda like cutting off your nose etc etc.

I know that those with a complaint are more likely to chime in than those who are happy. But if you look at the responses of pards in this thread it is clear more are unhappy than happy with the digital CC. It seeems only a few are reading the infernal electronical thing now. Those quitting us will be missed by the ptb I'm sure, at least their dues will be.

Those leaving SASS because of the demise of a paper CC is 'unseemly'. How many have left because of this?... And how many have joined since then in contrast?... I can imagine the answer.

GG

I read some of it but not nearly as much (cover to cover) as I used to.

I forget if I even looked at lasts months.

Have a short attention span on the computer, so reading the Chronicle on computer, no. I enjoy reading, but on my comfort area, zones, etc. To read on laptop, etc. I need to clear an area. Outside, on the porch, etc. the light interferes with screen, I again have to clear an area, and not like a paper hold it closer etc.

I feel sorry for the advertisers, because I believe the exposure is down.

I'm sure magazines, papers future is going paperless, but I have seen the hometown paper which tried paperless, and had less then 100 subcribers sign up, drop the idea, and stayed paper and also the advertisers saying they would pull out.

Oh, no I don't read it anymore. Did I read it before, yes, from page to page. BlueJeans hasn't read a single issue since it went paperless.

Is the paper what I signed up for, No, but do depend on the wire for news on clubs, events and scores moreso now. MT

The percentage of SASS members on this forum is going to be much smaller than the total membership, so you can't draw any conclusions like that.

The percentage of SASS members on this forum is going to be much smaller than the total membership, so you can't draw any conclusions like that.

That's big time true.

GG

I'll go further to explain my decision...

I still Shoot CAS. But my 45.00 with SASS buys me NOTHING now. I have shot every State and Regional around me, been there, done that. My prior renewals WERE solely to get the Chronicle! I got the Badge and Alias already right?

For local Shoots SASS membership is NOT required. I have a more Important membership to pay for, the NRA. They are still fighting the Good Fight in my State and have not cut and run, unlike SASS here...

Call it bitter, call it sour grapes, on a fixed income now I have to weigh cost Benefits and sending $45 to a For Profit Company for little perceived benefit just doesn't make the math for me.

Archived