SASS Wire Forum

Have you read the Chronicle since it went digital?

Shootin Straight

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at the digital about as much as I did the paper version.

Honestly though, I've always thought the Chronicle was rather boring.

I joined SASS for the shooting and that's about all I'm interested in.

The "digital" version is a pain but the PDF version is good.

http://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

Pick your year and month, read away.

PDF is also easily printed should one wish to print something off to take to the outhouse.

Guitar Slinger

http:/

+1 on the "digital" version being a pain. As I posted earlier, I love the PDF version. Very easy to maneuver around in using Adobe's reader on the various platforms.

By the way, I'm 63.

Laz

+1 on the "digital" version being a pain. As I posted earlier, I love the PDF version. Very easy to maneuver around in using Adobe's reader on the various platforms.

By the way, I'm 63.

Laz

For us uninitiated what's the difference? I thought anything that comes across my computer is digital. It's all formed from zeros and ones.

Hi, Larsen,

Yeah, they're all digital, as in ones and zeros. However, SASS has two electronic versions of the Cowboy Chronicle. There's one they call the "digital" version (and I put quotes around it to differentiate it) and one that is a standard PDF. The "digital" version uses it's own unique controls to maneuver around the document, and I find it cumbersome and a PITA. The PDF version is much easier for me to read using the various iterations (depending on whatever platform I'm on) of the standard Adobe PDF reader. So I read the Chronicle just like I do other PDFs.

Here's the link to the standard PDF versions: http://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

By the way, at the top of that page is a "link to the latest digital version of the Cowboy Chronicle". Open that link, play around, then go back to that archive page and open any of the archived editions. They are standard PDFs that you can open, save, print, and view using the standard PDF reader controls. If you open the above link, then go to the September 2014 link in the box (that's the PDF), I think you'll see a big difference in ease of use.

Laz

I look at the digital about as much as I did the paper version.

Honestly though, I've always thought the Chronicle was rather boring.

I joined SASS for the shooting and that's about all I'm interested in.

Yup. I am disappointed that my supply of fireplace starter paper is now low though. We only get a local paper here once a week. ;)

Doesn't work at all well on my Mac. I just tried it on the IPad and it works pretty darn good. Much better than on my Mac. I still don't know how to save anything on an IPad so if I'm not near a WiFi site I won't be able to read the Chronicle.

Plug your iPad into the computer, open iTunes, select "Books", select "PDFs", drag the PDF file onto that page, select "iPad", select "Sync".

Done. Now you can read it in iBooks.

Swiss

Yes, I read them and copy off any articles I find interesting. I miss the paper, I am certainly no "techie", but find the digital version easy to get around and love the color photos.

I have 3 sons...31, 29 and 25..separately, I asked them if they would rather read a newspaper/magazine or read it on a display screen (tablet, phone, computer). Each of them looked at me like I had lobsters growing out my ears. Then they began enumerating reasons why anyone who thinks that way has little respect for the earth: waste; trees; transportation; pollution; energy etc. etc. etc.

We're dinosaurs. Change or die.

As for me, the challenge was to convert ALL of my subscriptions to digital. First the laptop was too cumbersome and the phone is too small. For books, periodicals, websurfing (this forum), a tablet/ Kindle/ reader is perfect. And when I get on the airplane or sit for a while I choose to read 7 mags/ 3 newspapers/ over 100 books or surf 'til I'm blind all on one device; in any size font or photo- screen size I prefer. When I see something that interests me I can highlight it/ Google it/ get lost in millions of paths. I can visit merchants; search how-to videos; and save all of them for another day if I want to.

That's magic. Embrace it. Then your grandchildren will tell stories about how cool you are rather than wondering what to talk to you about.

What you say is true for you. Us Luddite dinosaurs do not care. We know what we like and we despise the fact it has been taken away from us. I personally know pards who will never send in membership dues again. They are done with SASS and every where they go and every one they talk to will hear about it from now on.

Nope. And more importantly.....I no longer see...let alone READ....the ads.

Did SASS lower the ad rates since it went digital? I know of one shooting organization that went digital with their newsletter and had to lower the ad rates by 90%. And after 5 years, they went back to a printed version. Perhaps not as large an organization as SASS (they only have about 52,000 paying annual members), nut the revenue the newsletter provided was a large part of paying to "get the message out."

EC

Then they are bigger than SASS. Dues paid SASS members is less than 40000 maybe less than 35000

That was the last Straw. After 20 years as a SASS member I decided to let my Membership lapse. No material benefit now other then to give money to a outfit that has left my State and left me nothing local and now not even what has become a $45 Newspaper Subscription. Why even charge for a on line Edition/Membership? With Advertising Revenue and no Material costs why NOT provide it for free to anyone that wants it? The only reason I see now for a Membership is to hold my Number and Alias? Well I have my Badge and no one would want my Name so....

The companies that place the ads will make the final decision on print vs. digital. For printed materials they pay for advertising space based in part on circulation. On the other hand, digital' is instant tracking. This is where the bullet hits or misses the target. High hits and they keep placing the ads. Go the other way and they drop their advertising.

Those advertisers will make the final hit or miss call on the format

Plug your iPad into the computer, open iTunes, select "Books", select "PDFs", drag the PDF file onto that page, select "iPad", select "Sync".Done. Now you can read it in iBooks.Swiss

Even easier, open the PDF in Safari on your iPad, and tap Open In... Near the top right corner. Choose iBooks or your favorite reader and you're set.

I wonder oh many of y'all will quit your NRA membership if American Rifleman ever goes digital-only?

Yes

Don't like it. But understand why they did it.

Same here. But then, that's life. Not everything is going to be the way I want it to be. Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. Next shooter!

The old paper version was much better for lining the bottom of the bird cages. Them dang iPads start to get expensive after a while.

=

I wonder oh many of y'all will quit your NRA membership if American Rifleman ever goes digital-only?

I wonder how many SASS members are current NRA members?

I am current in both.

To answer your question, I am an NRA Lifer, so they can do whatever they want and I can not do a thing because they already have my money.

I have 3 sons...31, 29 and 25..separately, I asked them if they would rather read a newspaper/magazine or read it on a display screen (tablet, phone, computer). Each of them looked at me like I had lobsters growing out my ears. Then they began enumerating reasons why anyone who thinks that way has little respect for the earth: waste; trees; transportation; pollution; energy etc. etc. etc.

We're dinosaurs. Change or die.

A

Ask your boys how many gameboys, cell phones, laptops, desk top, TV's, Ipods, and what other electronic devices they have used in their short time on earth and discarded in the trash. Then multiply that by a few hundred million people around the world. Then ask them about how much electricity (how many power plant equivalents) it takes to power up all the electronic stuff the civilian sector has become accustom to over the last two decades? Care to figure the pollution stream for all that,that has generated?

As far as printed newspapers and for that matter, TV news, about a weekly edition would cover whatever has happened in the world from the previous week.

That's a poor comparison pard. I'm sure you realize the NRA has a multitude of other benefits you get as a dues paying member? You also realize the NRA is $35 a year and includes the magazine and a hat(every year they have some promotional giveaway)?

What you get with SASS: Your first year signing up you get a fancy certificate with your alias on it and your badge, after that, SASS gives you a sticker every year when you renew(unless that has changed too, I switched to life membership years ago).

$45 a year is a lot for a sticker and permission to shoot in state matches and above.

SASS also used to support state matches with door prizes and the like. Actual guns usually and other SASS marked SWAG.

Unfortunately SASS isn't a particularly good "yearly" value from my view. Life membership is probably the best value if you intend to shoot state and above for many years. Otherwise, if you're a local shooter only, spend the money to support your club.

Ask your boys how many gameboys, cell phones, laptops, desk top, TV's, Ipods, and what other electronic devices they have used in their short time on earth and discarded in the trash. Then multiply that by a few hundred million people around the world. Then ask them about how much electricity (how many power plant equivalents) it takes to power up all the electronic stuff the civilian sector has become accustom to over the last two decades? Care to figure the pollution stream for all that,that has generated?

As far as printed newspapers and for that matter, TV news, about a weekly edition would cover whatever has happened in the world from the previous week.

I don't think the reason SASS decided to "go green" was to save the trees. I think they went "green" to save money (on printing costs)!

Many people never think (or know) how electricity is generated. Most electricity in this country (and the world for that matter) is produced by burning coal or oil to boil water to produce steam, to spin the electrical generators. The problem is that coal and oil is non-renewable (for another 100 million years) which means we have to dig and drill deeper and deeper to get it which makes it expensive. My electricity bill has quadrupled in my life-time mostly because computers and/or cell phone chargers, TV's, cable boxes, etc. are always on!

Not like I used to; old copies scattered around the house and read over and over, old copies taken to work and left in the break room or given anonymously to doctor offices etc all over...

I do read the electronic copy but not like I used to....and not as often

Just curious - I'm younger member, both in years in SASS (6) and in age (mid 40's) - I have my own computer, but for some reason I just can't remember, or who know's what, to read, look at or download the Chronicle.

I want to, and have at times tried, but I it just doesn't work for me. I used to read it cover to cover, well almost. It just doesn't work for me. I really liked a little morning coffee and the paper, sometimes waiting in the car for the kids to come out from school, or any other time when I just wanted to sit for a few. I ran into an old copy at work today, and that reminded me about it.

Just a little rant, wondering if others feel the same. Maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the members, if we have enough who feel the same way.

Shootin Straight

I get it in digital. Read some of it, sometimes. In general, DON'T like it. I'll probably just let it fade from my memory, as SASS and it's original touts and aims have done. MHO

Al

Back to the original question, (if ya remember it with all this other BS) I have read it once, don't care for it. :unsure:

What you say is true for you. Us Luddite dinosaurs do not care. We know what we like and we despise the fact it has been taken away from us. I personally know pards who will never send in membership dues again. They are done with SASS and every where they go and every one they talk to will hear about it from now on.

Then they are bigger than SASS. Dues paid SASS members is less than 40000 maybe less than 35000

Luddite Dinosaurs ain't quite the 'future' of SASS anymore....SASS needs to do what it needs to build towards it's future. Change happens and we either complain or comply.... Some ( including me) do both :D

BTW: if folks are leaving SASS over a paper Chronicle - they weren't part of SASS in the first place.

GG

I did read the paper version of The SASS Chronicle, but NO, I do not read either of the electronic versions of the Chronicle.

My background is both "analog" technical and a "digital" technical. I am very much tied to desktop and laptop computers, smart phones and other devices.

However, the SASS Chronicle falls into a category of reading that I simply do not follow on electronic devices. I tried to, early on, but the loss of comfort and the effort is more that I'm willing to invest.

AND

The paper is something that I wanted to touch, feel and enjoy casually, on my terms, lying down, in the car, at the barn, under a,tree or waiting on whatever someplace, without being tied to a device that may be hard to see in certain lighting situations, which may be damaged or lost in whatever environment I'm in at the moment, and without having to use my hands and arms in uncomfortable, awkward or unrelaxed positions. NO. I enjoyed the paper, I miss it and the alternative is not acceptable.

I think that today in our culture, The Chronicle is like any other publication. If people can't see it, touch it, feel it and pass it around, its value degrades to virtually nothing and ultimately, even the online version disappears. Maybe they are on timelines to disappear, who knows? Probably within the next generation or two, with the continued dumbing down of education, reading will be something no longer taught or practiced, so any publications will be for the elite. Plus, there won't be any guns. So, problem solved, right?

I very much enjoy CAS and I'm of the opinion that SASS is rightly in the best position to grow and to keep CAS viable. And, I'm also of the opinion that in many ways, the SASS ownership follows both the self-destructive, Marie Antoinette approach to dealing with customers/membership and the Wizard of Oz approach to visibility. I'm further of the opinion that this attitude and behavior is reflected in the elimination of the printed SASS Chronicle, which I consider a strategic and tactical mistake. I think they have the horsepower to do it all better and I keep waiting.

But then, opinions are like noses, right?

No, It used to be a good read while on the throne.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding how some people act like the CC was the sole reason they were SASS members. Really? Reading about matches from last year while sitting on the john is worth that much to you?

I'm fine with the CC being a pdf. What I'd like SASS to do is to make it more worthwhile to read. I want more gunsmithing articles, a monthly section devoted to the new shooter with tips, etc. Stuff I can use now as well as nice anecdotes about the way things used to be. The CC is now easier to distribute. I want an annual "Getting Started in CAS" issue that I can email to friends and say "you're thinking about doing this? Read this."

Archived