SASS Wire Forum

Have you read the Chronicle since it went digital?

Shootin Straight

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I've read them all since the electronic version started.

Pro's, easy to read and navigate. Articles/pictures are clear with no distortion.

Con's, Can't read it any other place than here on the computor. Not easy just to "page" through either to skip the ads and go to the articles you are most interested in.

I'd much rather have the printed version but I do understand the reasoning behind the move.

I have...but it's not the same. Like Anvil Al says I understand why they changed.

They had a couple copies of the June 2014 version in paper at Range War - picked one up and was reminded of how cool the paper version was :(

Oh well - change can be hard, but we learn to deal with it I reckon.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Truth be told, I read them a lot MORE than I did the paper copy.

Not that I didn't enjoy the paper copy, but it seem like the electronic copy is a lot more portable, and I tend to have it more readily accessible when I have time to read...

Read the first couple or the best that I could. Since, like the one that came out the other day, I just delete it. Just don't even open it any more. Old fashion, all other magazines I receive are in paper form. Sure do miss the paper copy.

NOPE!! Don't like it in digital mode. Tried it once and didn't like it. Used to read it cover to cover. No more.

Has anybody noticed the cut in membership costs? Since the expense of printing it and mailing it went away? NO, me neither. Looks like SASS just voted themselves a big raise! Cut the benefit to the shooter, but not the cost. Just where have we seen that happen before??

The Chronicle was the only real benefit I had from membership. Don't shoot any of the big shoots that require membership. Only shoot monthly's. I'm thinking that a large percentage of the membership is in the same boat. Won't be surprised if we see a significant drop in membership because of this.

RBK

I have 3 sons...31, 29 and 25..separately, I asked them if they would rather read a newspaper/magazine or read it on a display screen (tablet, phone, computer). Each of them looked at me like I had lobsters growing out my ears. Then they began enumerating reasons why anyone who thinks that way has little respect for the earth: waste; trees; transportation; pollution; energy etc. etc. etc.

We're dinosaurs. Change or die.

As for me, the challenge was to convert ALL of my subscriptions to digital. First the laptop was too cumbersome and the phone is too small. For books, periodicals, websurfing (this forum), a tablet/ Kindle/ reader is perfect. And when I get on the airplane or sit for a while I choose to read 7 mags/ 3 newspapers/ over 100 books or surf 'til I'm blind all on one device; in any size font or photo- screen size I prefer. When I see something that interests me I can highlight it/ Google it/ get lost in millions of paths. I can visit merchants; search how-to videos; and save all of them for another day if I want to.

That's magic. Embrace it. Then your grandchildren will tell stories about how cool you are rather than wondering what to talk to you about.

I downloaded all the copies I could electronically, and read them when I'm stuck somewhere waiting on something, like at an airport.

I like it cause I can carry 5-6 issues, read it at my leisure, and delete as needed.

I miss having the old paper version for many reasons, but I can deal with this . . . .

SC

I understand why they went that way, but much prefer the paper version. I don't spend as much time with the digital version and don't pay as much attention to the ads.

Nope. And more importantly.....I no longer see...let alone READ....the ads.

Did SASS lower the ad rates since it went digital? I know of one shooting organization that went digital with their newsletter and had to lower the ad rates by 90%. And after 5 years, they went back to a printed version. Perhaps not as large an organization as SASS (they only have about 52,000 paying annual members), nut the revenue the newsletter provided was a large part of paying to "get the message out."

EC

I tried the first issue, but my old eye's were having a hard time reading the print. Yes, I have reading glasses. I tried to enlarge the print but all I got was a lot of digital garbage. Not opposed to the digital version but maybe it doesn't like my kindle. :-(

So.....I have not read another issue since then.

MJH

No, have not ever looked at it online, I understand also the reason, seems the majority don't look at it anymore

I'm pretty savvy with computers but the digital Chronicle and most other digital magazines give me fits on both of my Macs. Very clumsy and fussy to manipulate. Perhaps I'll try in on my PC with the 27" monitor, that might be better.

To be honest after many, many years around this game I find very little of real interest in the Chronicle either paper or digital. I seriously wonder why I should renew membership other than to lend support to CAS in general.

No - unless someone on the wire refers to an article & I'm interested in it. I don't have a cell phone grafted to my hip & I'm not married to a screen. Some are happy that way & that's fine for them, I'm just not.

I've always enjoyed reading - magazine, books, etc. Still do.

I get a few work-related publications as digital now..I see some of the benefits (video being one, links to vendors / advertisers being another) but I don't find myself reading articles on the computer.

Bought an ereader a few years back...rarely used it. concept is great, but somehow it just wasn't the same.

Tried a tablet (my wife was one for work, my son one for school). Again, about as much fun as, well, modern guns? LOL There's nothing wrong with a glock or AR..but I prefer SA and leverguns.

Is it I spend a lot of my workday at the computer and when not working, I don't want to be at the computer? Don't know...

Just curious - I'm younger member, both in years in SASS (6) and in age (mid 40's) - I have my own computer, but for some reason I just can't remember, or who know's what, to read, look at or download the Chronicle.

I want to, and have at times tried, but I it just doesn't work for me. I used to read it cover to cover, well almost. It just doesn't work for me. I really liked a little morning coffee and the paper, sometimes waiting in the car for the kids to come out from school, or any other time when I just wanted to sit for a few. I ran into an old copy at work today, and that reminded me about it.

Just a little rant, wondering if others feel the same. Maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the members, if we have enough who feel the same way.

Shootin Straight

I read it regularly and I'm in my upper 50's. Electronic copy is not only the future, it's the now.

I've glanced at it, but don't read it all the way through.

For some reason, they have stuck with a printed paper taller than wide format when computer screens are wider than tall. This makes for a lot of awkward scrolling up and down, and it's just too annoying to bother with, for the most part. I also don't like the "continued on page xxx" thing. That's bad enough in print, but in digital it's a real irritant.

The Chronicle really needs to be reformatted for digital reading, and not formatted as if it were still in print on paper. That might get me to spend more time reading it again.

18 years ago when SASS had less than 10K members, we recieved a paper CC. Heck, we looked forward to getting the CC and read it over and over. I have a hard time believing it cost too much to print and mail. However, prior to 2000 it was a quarterly rag. My computer at my house is too slow and takes forever to download the CC. I finally looked up this months CC at work this morning. Some articles by the same old people are redundant, kind of like straight line shooting with nothing but lateral movement. Perhaps a whole new format is needed in order to encourage more readers, and to keep advertisers. One can't just leave the electronic version on the arm of the chair and pick it up and continue reading the next day. It aint the same!

I'm 54.

I enjoy the PDF version and read it each month. Well skim through it and look at stuff that interests me. To be transparent with you pards though, I discontinued newspaper delivery and most magazines. I prefer to read on my iPad usually in bed when trying to go to sleep.

The "digital" version is a pain but the PDF version is good.

http://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

Pick your year and month, read away.

PDF is also easily printed should one wish to print something off to take to the outhouse.

Guitar Slinger

http:/

Great discussion - I will attempt to use my ipad and see how the pdf works, the digital version is not working well at all for me.

Doesn't work at all well on my Mac. I just tried it on the IPad and it works pretty darn good. Much better than on my Mac. I still don't know how to save anything on an IPad so if I'm not near a WiFi site I won't be able to read the Chronicle.

18 years ago when SASS had less than 10K members, we recieved a paper CC. Heck, we looked forward to getting the CC and read it over and over. I have a hard time believing it cost too much to print and mail. However, prior to 2000 it was a quarterly rag. My computer at my house is too slow and takes forever to download the CC. I finally looked up this months CC at work this morning. Some articles by the same old people are redundant, kind of like straight line shooting with nothing but lateral movement. Perhaps a whole new format is needed in order to encourage more readers, and to keep advertisers. One can't just leave the electronic version on the arm of the chair and pick it up and continue reading the next day. It aint the same!

Probably costs $2 a copy to print and mail, perhaps less. (never seen a printed copy).

From the perspective of the publisher it's zero cost to post a PDF online.

Now advertising rates are related (usually) to how many people see the ad (potentially). Big magazines have their circulation audited for this reason.

Not sure how SASS does it - what they charge or how they verify how many read it.

Archived