SASS Wire Forum

Have you read the Chronicle since it went digital?

Shootin Straight

Just curious - I'm younger member, both in years in SASS (6) and in age (mid 40's) - I have my own computer, but for some reason I just can't remember, or who know's what, to read, look at or download the Chronicle.

I want to, and have at times tried, but I it just doesn't work for me. I used to read it cover to cover, well almost. It just doesn't work for me. I really liked a little morning coffee and the paper, sometimes waiting in the car for the kids to come out from school, or any other time when I just wanted to sit for a few. I ran into an old copy at work today, and that reminded me about it.

Just a little rant, wondering if others feel the same. Maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the members, if we have enough who feel the same way.

Shootin Straight

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read the Chronicle since it went digital. I'm also in my mid-40s, but I am a techie so going digital wasn't a big problem for me. If I want a hard copy I'll print it out at work on the color printer.

I have taken a look now and again, but have not read it near as much as the old paper version.

The paper version was good outhouse reading and at least got thumbed thru a time or two. No so with the digital.

Well, I was not happy when it went only digital like a lot of others. I did get my refund btw. I've read the last few issues online but it's a pain in the ...insert preference....compared to the paper copy. It's gotten to be more like tv shows over the last few years though. More ads than programming.

Yes, I've read every issue since the Chronicle went digital. I've found that I read the whole thing now, and I haven't done that in years. I really like the PDF version!

Laz

Op get an iPad or other tablet. And read it on that. I read wherever the thrown room the truck or in bed before I go to sleep. I read everything on it. The main reason I use my laptops are photography and my desktop is setup for fltsim and photography. I use my iPad for web reading, email, and my books and magazines. Plus in a jam a movie or music. One thing else I do on the laptop is rip my DVDs,CDs and such and bring them in to iTunes to organize and listen to or view if not watch the same stuff on my tv by way of Apple TV.

NO- find it hard to manage on my computer, had a lot better time with it on my coffe table- have to have a "no beverage" rule around electronics- and as an aside I can NO LONGER GIVE AN OLD COPY TO SOMEONE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED IN SASS!! While THIS is going on, the Advertisers are NOT getting their moneys worth with decreased readership and decreased sharing of old issues. Heck, I hear tell at gun shops how SASS is "a dying sport" as it is, with the "buy in" being so high as it has become- but that is another story. I still have my guns, and, in fact, some new in the box stuff that the market for may well disappear before I consider thinning the herd.

I browse it, scanning the pages quickly, and may read an article or two if they "catch my eye" BUT . . . I don't look at the advertisments nearly as much as I used to (especially the ones listed in the back pages). If/when the advertisers realize this and stop paying to advertise in the Chronicle SASS will notice. When the loss of revenue becomes apparent they will realize that not printing a "hard copy" to save money is costing them money.

I have taken a look now and again, but have not read it near as much as the old paper version.

The paper version was good outhouse reading and at least got thumbed thru a time or two. No so with the digital.

Same for me.

Nope. I was one of the few that paid extra for the print copy but they apparently didn't get enough to keep printing it. :(

I'm about to turn 40 and a I'm a techie too, but despise digital magazines/newspapers.

Just curious - I'm younger member, both in years in SASS (6) and in age (mid 40's) - I have my own computer, but for some reason I just can't remember, or who know's what, to read, look at or download the Chronicle.

I want to, and have at times tried, but I it just doesn't work for me. I used to read it cover to cover, well almost. It just doesn't work for me. I really liked a little morning coffee and the paper, sometimes waiting in the car for the kids to come out from school, or any other time when I just wanted to sit for a few. I ran into an old copy at work today, and that reminded me about it.

Just a little rant, wondering if others feel the same. Maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the members, if we have enough who feel the same way.

Shootin Straight

I think it SUCKS !

Yes, but I have always had it in digital, so for me no changes.

Frenchy

Just bits and pieces here and there. Used to go durn near cover to cover including the ads. Now its been 3 or 4 months since I even opened it.

I'll look at it when it first comes out. Might read one .maybe two, articles. Used to read it cover to cover. I find it very difficult to sit and read long articles on the computer. I normally trash, without reading, any email over two paragraphs.

This thread made me realize that no, I haven't read it since it went digital...

Yikes.

Cheers,

FJT

+1 Used to read it cover to cover sometimes sometimes more than once... not anymore.. -_-

Spades H.

Howdy,

Tried it a couple times, tried to look up info on an upcoming match and that didtnt work.

I just keep in hopes that sass will get the presses rolling again.

No old copies to hand out.

Folks stopping by really liked to hear, "Keep it if you want."

I never took any home from a gun show.

And it looks like I never will......

BEst

CR

Yes, but I have switched to all of my periodicals being delivered electronically.

My last trip I took the American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo and Gun Dog magazine with me. I also had a book, a couple of audio books and a movie or two with me. All of that was in my iPad.

Archived