SASS Wire Forum

First Wild Bunch Match Behind US

Swift Stoney 49735

Kid Nama & I shot our first Wild Bunch match last weekend in Greenville, SC. If I ever had any doubts about Wild Bunch and SASS being similar, they were all put to rest last weekend. Totally different shooting disciplines. I originally thought Wild Bunch simply incorporated the substitution of the 1911 for the standard SASS six-guns. Folks, if you are used to shooting minimally loaded 38s out of a Vaquero and a Model 73 rifle and hand loading a Model 97, you are in for a surprise. You see, there is this thing someone, without a sense of humor I might add, invented called "power factor." Couple that with the added requirement rifles have to be 40 caliber or more and you come up with a thing called recoil. Ugh! And if that is not enough, they added insult to injury by eliminating a lot of the bells and whistles normally associated with a 1911. All this and more combine to make Wild Bunch NOT SASS. Having touched on some of the differences, allow me to dwell on the common element, i.e., the people. I had shot SASS matches with a lot of the folks in our posse so friendships were firmly in place. As you would expect, there was overwhelming desire on everyone's part to help out the newbies. With that unbeatable combination one has to have fun in spite of yourself. Advice and encouragement were freely given and greatly appreciated. Other SASS vs Wild Bunch differences I noted were equipment failures and stage DQs. Having shot SASS for a few years with experienced shooters, we very seldom have any issues with equipment or ammo. Not so last weekend. 1911s did not want to feed, slides would come forward at the wrong time, Model 12s jammed, rifles jammed, squib loads, etc. In addition, I saw experienced shooters I respect and admire have SDQs, some of which were called by the shooters themselves. No lack of honor in this sport either. Kid Nama and I went through the entire match with one "swing thought" (golf term) in mind, TRIGGER FINGER! We managed to get through 10 stages with no MSV or SDQs, but I wonder how much luck was involved in that outcome.

In summary, we had to actually use our pistol and rifle sights and concentrate on really hitting shotgun targets, which is usually not an absolute necessity in SASS shooting since makeups are allowed. All in all, not as bad as I had originally expected. Will we venture into the realm of 1911s and Model 12s again, probably not, but it was an interesting diversion from the norm and I encourage anyone who hasn't given it a whirl to do so. I know it will help our accuracy in SASS events down the road.

Yup. WB is a totally different discipline. Very little crosses over from CAS other than the fact that the rifle has a lever on it.

It's fun, but the power factor means shooters that are recoil sensitive will be, lets say, challenged.

Ole Swifty....I feel Kid Nama and your pain. I was one of the "lucky few" with a stage DQ at the same match. Two other shooters on the posse got one so I was not lonesome. This was my 3rd time to shoot WB and my first "big match" for WB.

My pistol failed to chamber a round in the middle of shooting a mag so I just dropped the mag and inserted a new one and finished the course of fire and was getting ready to move. Naturally I dropped the partially shot mag out of my 1911 and proceeded to take a step toward the next pistol shooting position and yep....I moved with a round in the chamber....forgot to eject the round and put the slide into slide lock before moving. Kid Ray was kind enough and alert enough to stop me after I took the step and had this look on his face like he just noticed I stepped into dog poo! :blink::blink: As soon as I saw that look on his face I realized what I had done and promptly thanked him for his good RO skills, cleared all my guns at the line and went off to cry in my beer.

Did I have fun....you bet! Will I shoot WB again...you bet!

Many thanks to Hondo Jackson and everyone else at the Greenville Gunfighters that put on the SC State WB match....great stages and well run....great fellowship and a great shoot.

And if anyone asks Kid Ray's better half, Sue Render, does cheat and I think Carolina Girl taught her! :D:P;)

Kajun

Thanks for reminding me Kajun, Hondo Jackson did an outstanding job with the match, stages and Sporting Clays. I was really worried about having to shoot weird and complicated scenarios. Everything logically progressed and other than me, I do not think anyone on my posse picked up a P. Major kudos to Hondo on the Sporting Clays, there was a waiting list to get on one of the five available stations. No one walked away without tasting at least a little humble pie.

Stoney that's why they call it WILD bunch! I don't shoot WB often, but every time I do, it is an adventure.

It was a lot of fun shooting with you & Nama this weekend. I would never have known it was the first WB match for you - you both did quite well & I hope to shoot with both of you again!

Holler

It's another way to have fun!

I wish the WB rules weren't quite so foolishly restrictive, as it IS a different discipline than CAS. Nevertheless, it adds a lot of enjoyment to the game, doesn't it?

Of course, the gear used hasn't quite reached the same level of refinement as CAS gear. With the litany of failed guns and poorly loaded ammo, watching a WB match often makes me wonder how the hell we ever won a war... ;-)

Cheers,

FJ

One other difference is target placement, size, and distance. The targets are placed to require you to use both the front and rear sights on both the pistol and rifle. The targets can be smaller out at further distances. But it's fun. It's for the big boys since they shoot big bore guns at power.

Stoney, I hope you and Kid Nama play Wild Bunch with us again. It is different but sure is a lot of fun.

Kajun, you da pot call'n the kettle black aint ya?

Well Sue Render....maybe ;)

We do have fun when we shoot....great posse and everyone worked...always a pleasure to shoot with all of the miscreants, outlaws and outlawettes in SC.

That single action semi auto is just a tad more picky than that single action revolver. Always enjoy the bunch slappin' the back of the slide.

SS, glad you tried wild bunch hang in there and shoot it a few more times! what I've seen is a competitor starts out jammed guns, missed targets, maybe procedurals, slow to run the 45 and it's drawing blood. as the shooter gets more familiar and becomes better at reloading problems start to melt away. gets the kinks worked out of the shotgun. sights in and starts looking at the sights before pulling the trigger. gets used to the power factor and as the competitor gets all this together all of the sudden is having the time of his/her life. wild bunch is the most level playing field of any combat style match due to the way the rules are written. as you go to more wb matches and look at the seasoned competitors they are not fighting with any of there equipment but they are using it to full effect! Dusty Boddams

I would not have known that you and Nama were new WB shooters by the way that you handled yourselves. I think you did VERY well!

No question that WBAS presents different challenges than cowboy action. I like the fact that some things are different. I enjoy both games and wish we could offer a monthly WBAS match.

We had a great group of shooters at The Raid on Conestee. Glad you and Kid Nama were two of the best. On the best posse.

If only...

we weren't limited to five per magazine... but more importantly... if only I could get out home more often to shoot it!

Thanks for all the kind comments. We gave it our best shot given the time to prepare, the newness of the equipment, and that awful thing called "power factor." Actually, the power factor was no big deal and with some practice we could improve our performance measurably and move out of shooting cautiously to being a little more natural.I may try it again at the S E Regional but I believe Nama will use that time to shop.

Archived