SASS Wire Forum

Win 97 problem

Jackaroo, # 29989

Been having a few hassles with my 97. I only really use it for WB, and have had feeding problems.

Have replaced the cartridge stop springs, which were really worn and that has helped to a degree.

On further testing found that the cartridge guide does not elevate to guide & keep the round in the port. This results if going fast, of the extractor banging into the back of the shotshell on the right hand side between the rim and the primer, when closing the action, jamming it??

Of course when relieving the pressure to let the shell drop into line by going back a touch results in another shell slipping into the breech, thus a double feed.

Not a good situation at all.??

I have checked the cartridge guide screw and looks to be the correct one with the little extension after the thread, but the guide does not come up at all??

Am a bit lost as we don't have much experience with these, being from Aussie.

Any help appreciated.

Jack

There are probably two screws that have been interchanged with each other. They have the same thread/diameter but one is longer than the other. I can't remember which ones they are however. Give Maruader a PM. He's the one that told me about it years ago.

There are probably two screws that have been interchanged with each other. They have the same thread/diameter but one is longer than the other. I can't remember which ones they are however. Give Maruader a PM. He's the one that told me about it years ago.

Yes Cypress, checked those two screws,they are in the correct place.

You need to make sure that flag gets fixed. One of the BIG problems with the 93 is that it didn't have one. If the shell starts out of the port and is ignited by the right hand extractor it ain't fun. The flag should have some friction on it. Reach down into the open port with your finger and pull it up. If it falls right back down you need to remove the bolt and see what is wrong with it.

Send it to a smith sounds like you got worn parts that are actually messing with the timing and placement of everything and if it continues you myPay have an out of battery discharge from the guide hit the primer when your going fast and I don't think you would like or want that. Send it in for repairs.

You know what they say about shooting 97s in competition. One in the shop, one to shoot, and one for backup, and I'll add my comment here one ready to sent to be repaired and a couple for parts.

As Larsen said, your primary concern should be to get the "flag" or cartridge guide repaired to prevent an out of battery discharge. I have never seen one with a screw in it, only a rivet.... That could be part of the problem of the rounds coming out of the magazine prematurely, but probably not? The cartridge stops, springs and magazine spring are somewhat of a "balancing act" that have to be adjusted to work together to function correctly. The contour on the face of the stop becomes worn sometimes and won't retain the round and/or is overcome by the mag spring pressure. Most I have seen set up for WBAS have way too much mag spring pressure especially with a full magazine. As Blackey mentioned, should find someone familiar with the 97 to look at it..........

Mink...........

You know you are not far from the Brisco Kid now, right? He's over in Fort Towson. Might be worth a call and a drive over.

http://cowboyshooterssupply.com/index.html

Sounds like the Cartridge Guide friction spring is worn out, missing or misshapen due to age. When this spring fails, there's no pressure on the guide keep the flag up, leading to what you're describing.

The cartridge guide is riveted in, making getting it in and out a bit of a pain, but it can be done with a set of punches and some patience. It's not a part that is normally removed even during a detail strip for cleaning.

Jackaroo, I don't know how to fix your problem, but can suggest 2 who can. Goatneck Clem in Eastern TX can work on the '97 and IF you happen to be going to the Huntsman Senior games in UT, TL now lives in St. George. He was the chief '97 builder for the C&I store for years and still works on them.

Hi all, thanks for all the advice.

Yes Goody spoke to Brisco Kid on the weekend in AR, he was the one who pointed me in the direction of two screws being mistakenly swapped, but checked that they are correct, and yes I stopped using it because of that safety problem.??

I'll check all those other things, and get it fixed.

Hi all, thanks for all the advice.

Yes Goody spoke to Brisco Kid on the weekend in AR, he was the one who pointed me in the direction of two screws being mistakenly swapped, but checked that they are correct, and yes I stopped using it because of that safety problem.??

I'll check all those other things, and get it fixed.

You might check with RCD in our neck of the woods, he's pretty handy with the 97 I hear. :unsure:

Goat neck I heard was too busy with mod 12s now that he wasn't taking any 97s just something I heard weather true or not I can not say. I like him but send my scatter guns to Johnny meadows except for the 87 which goes to Lassiter because Johnny doesn't work on them.

EXCELLENT ADVICE - don't use the shotgun until you get this fixed. I had exactly the same problem at one point. When I got to looking carefully I realized, as you said, the extractor strikes the back of the shell between the primer and the rim, but only about 1/8 of an inch away from the primer. I realized that if I were going fast enough the shell could jump that last 18th inch and the extractor would hit the primer, just like a firing pin. You would have not just an out of battery discharge, it would be almost completely out of the shotgun. Super bad news.

I'm surprised it isn't the two screw problem, it seems that is almost always the situation. Good luck with it.

Archived