SASS Wire Forum

Warning: Our Teachers May Be Armed

I've been waiting for this since the CT school shooting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/28/texas-school-district-posts-signs-that-some-teachers-pack-heat/?intcmp=latestnews

Melodramatic "packing heat" reference aside, seems simple, direct, and hopefully effective to me.

LL

I hate it that teachers packing has become necessary, but I applaud the schools that allow it. I hope and pray for those teacher's sake, they never have to use their firearms.

+100

It is really sad that we have come to this point. The fact that they need guards (called monitors) on school buses does not speak well of the behavior of some of the children. (or the parents that raised them)

Blackfoot

It is really sad that we have come to this point. The fact that they need guards (called monitors) on school buses does not speak well of the behavior of some of the children. (or the parents that raised them)

Blackfoot

Ah...don't you mean "the parents that didn't raise them?"

It's great that they are allowed to carry; now the real questions are who decided if they are competent?

How to carry, what to carry, weapon retention, when to use, & HOW to use, are all things that would be really good for them to know.

It is very sad that such evil exists now and that even the most innocent fall under attack. And news this morning is that the threat level has been raised to a higher level in the UK. We must be constantly vigilant these days.

It's great that they are allowed to carry; now the real questions are who decided if they are competent?

How to carry, what to carry, weapon retention, when to use, & HOW to use, are all things that would be really good for them to know.

There are several Texas school districts that are allowing teachers/administrators to carry guns. "Allowing" is probably not the right word. The individuals are identified/approved by the school district. In every case, the individuals must have a Texas Concealed Handgun License (which does require some training plus a written test and a qualifying shooting test on the range). In most cases the local Police Department is giving additional training to those individuals (I think the police training is in every district that allows carry, but I'm not sure). The folks carrying weapons are not identified to the students or public in any way.

Laz

It was legalized in Tennessee as well. My county hasn't moved one way or the other with it yet. Schoolmarm has this year and next and then she's retiring. We live in a rural, peaceful, community where nothing would indicate a need, but that would describe several schools that have been victimized by some deranged individual bent on terror and finally self destruction.

I hope it never happens again, but I hope that if it does, some overprotective, well armed classroom teacher is there to prevent it. When it happens, it will send a new message to those who would do harm to our children!!

Another factor would be for the news people to keep the name of the perp off the TV and headlines.

God forbid that it should ever happen again, but I have to realize that reality is there to rear it's ugly

head when ever some nut decides to get his name in the paper.

Of course we must insist that the proper racial balance be enforced among the armed teachers so that there could be no question of bias when an armed intruder enters.

Or we could check the intruders ID and determine which race of teacher should be called to shoot the intruder. Maybe we could only arm the mixed race teachers because they could shoot anybody.

Bitter? Yes!

There are several school systems around the country that have approved carry for staff. I don't know of any that have not imposed training and certification. They are well aware of the inherent liability involved if they did not do so.

Before I add my 2 cents let me say that in this day and age I am 100% for teachers getting trained and armed.

But, can you imagine the pot that's going to fill IF a teacher is faced with a situation like in Ferguson? An irate parent pissed because their kid did or didn't get this or got punished for that and then starts pummeling the teacher. Then the teacher if forced to shoot and kill the parent. Now add the all important ingredient, racial difference, and then what? Body cams on teachers?

Just food for thought.

JEL

Archived