SASS Wire Forum

Advice Request: .32 H&R vs. .32-20

Widder, SASS #59054

Can you please share any pros/cons of these 2 cartridges.

here are my thoughts:

.32-20 might be a better cartridge for BP

.32-20 might feed better due to its bottleneck design

.32 H&R might be easier to reload and find brass

Another Wire Pard and I were sharing a couple thoughts on this. There is no 'one side or the other'. It is just merely a good conversation.

Please share your thoughts, knowledge and experience on either or both.

Thanks

..........Widder

I think the 32-20 is the perfect fit for Frontier Cartridge category. 115- 120grn bullet with BP... Low recoil but takes knockdowns down fairly. Now brass is more expensive, but not to hard to find. Starline brass is a different length (shorter) then Remington brass. I feel the 32-20 does feed better with the bottle necked case. The 32-20 Brass is a little more fragile then the 32 H&R though. Just my view from the saddle.

Major Art Tillery

recently got interested in the 32-20 cal. and converted a Marlin CL for CAS, then found a Uberti single action and made a trade, course then I needed another Uberti for 2 pistols. I like the blackpowder rounds and had bought Starline brass and have a local source for bullets.

All just fer fun, ain't it. :P

Starline Brass just sent me a notice for more 32 20 brass coming soon in Sept. so I'm set for components.

One minor issue with a Uberti Cattleman revo, After waiting for three months to locate one, I had Buffalo Arms back order a Cimarron 32 20 cattleman and looks great, however the first time shooting, I found the ejector rod to fat to properly hit them little 32 20 holes in the cylinder.

Apparantly there are to different sizes of ejector rods , smaller diameter one for 22 and 32 cals and larger for 33/357 and 45 cals. Well this has the bigger diameter rod. Called Cimarron and they were helpful but they got no smaller/thinner rods. So with a drill press, I thinned the rod down to a workable ejector rod.

Shoot with a pard that shoots 32-20's both pistols and 73 rifle.. Shoots smokless, loves his 32-20's , his biggest complant is the brass loss ( $$$ ) form the rifle...

I've shot them in a rifle, they are sweet, the bottle neck keeps the cases clean, no smoke screen from the ejection port on dumps.

For the pistols, well, I saw now real advantages for the cartridge in smokeless loading's, but I would agree for BLACK probably a nice little round for that!!!

Would like a set of the limited Ruger's like my pard has with the extra .32 H&R cylinders he has 5 of them in Stainless 5 1/2" I think they are all Davidson's spec. run guns...

Hey Widder you need a set for FCGF !!! ;)

They are a cool little bottleneck cartridge for sure...

Spades H.

Maybe the case Mike but after many years of reloading for other, if you check your guns and find the pieces of brass that are expanded the least and set up you press to size to those cases, you can avoid most of the stretching you're referring to. Minimum neck expansion also helps.

Loaded to about 725'/sec it will do just fine in cas events. Loaded to factory specs, it is a great hunting rifle though you will have to do good placement for mid + sized critters.

Great small caliber round.

Widder I have a Marlin 1894 Davidson (which you know well), a Uberti 1873 and Ruger Vaqueros in 32-20. My biggest problem was associated with the cartridge feeding in the Rugers. First, my reloading dies were not positioning the shoulders in the correct place. This was corrected by machining .065 off of the resizing die. The next problem was one of the Ruger cylinders needed to be reamed to accept the cartridge. I have never had any problems with the rifles before or after corrections. So the end result is that the may be some problems in feeding because of the bottleneck cartridge. I think the 32-20 is great for BP or smokeless and I have done both. The 32-20 cartridge is a little fragile around the neck and does not last as long as the 32 H&R. Some times both cartridges are hard to find in the grass after a stage but the 32-20 will collapse with any contact. I tend to use my Uberti because the Marlin tends to eject the brass forward in front of the firing line and to the right. I agree with Major a great for Frontier Cartridge category! Ace

I have never ran 32-20's, but have shot the 32 H&R extensively over something like 20 years. I find the cartridge very efficient and accuracy is exceptional. Reloading this cartridge is easy and very cheap.

I shot the 32's for my center fire cartridge in NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette shooting for approx 10 years, with exceptional results, and I now am shooting a pair of New Model Single Sixes in 32 Mag., (Stainless Baby Vaquero's), which I shoot off and on, switching between them and a set of SASS Rugers and a set of Blackhawks.

I like shooting the 32's equally as well as the other Rugers which are 357's, and shot a clean match last week with them.

Brass life with the 32 H&R is unbelievable, and the guns handle both 100 gr. and 120 gr bullets very well, and strangely, shoot at essentially the same velocity, and to point of aim, (at SASS target distances), with either bullet with the same powder load.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the cartridge as a pistol cartridge, and am looking for an 1894 Marlin to purchase in the near future.

I'm sure for shooting Black Powder, the 32-20 would be the better choice, but for Smokeless Powder, You will be hard pressed to find a better cartridge than the 32 H&R Mag.

RBK

Can you please share any pros/cons of these 2 cartridges..

Please share your thoughts, knowledge and experience on either or both.

Thanks

..........Widder

The .32 H&R mag with a full case of ffg 777 and a 100 grain black powder lubed bullet makes the smoke standard with room to spare. In the Ruger Single Six baby Vaqueros and the Marlin 1894 rifle, (both no longer available new) my honey looks so good shooting!

Fordyce

When the 32 came out, I did backflips. Thought it was going to set the world on fire. I had a couple of SASS buddies with arthritis who I figured wouldn't have to quit shooting thanks to the new cartridge. So I was all over them about the 32s. Neither seemed to see the value. Guess who wound up with some of the new 32s......

I have always been a fan of 32-20 and still have a couple of Marlins. Their original owners (one's original owner might have been the Chinese Army) apparently didn't have cleaning equipment so one wound up with a new barrel and the other, whose external condition was worth careful restoration got a barrel tubing. They both shoot like gangbusters. I wound up buying a couple of 32 pistols. I wasn't about to SASS with anything other than my good old 45s so they were Dan Wessons. I wanted to see what barrel length did to the new magnum etc. And I had the use of an early Marlin for a short while, a very short while. The deal was to work up an accurate load, load data for his powder, and velocity numbers.... lol..... he thought his side of the deal was sweeter... lol rotfl

The volume of smoke from both cartridges never seemed to me to be much different. The 32-20 case is barely 20% longer. They're pretty much the same diameter.

As for brass availability....... When I get a new cartridge, I get a big bag from Starline. So I don't have experience trying to get brass. That policy in fact has provided me better "investment" of my gun money than the coin spent on the guns. And that's from doing nothing more than providing buddies with brass at today's prices. It's also provided great pleasure helping shooting friends to keep shooting.

I never saw any problem feeding from either. The 32-20 really isn't much of a bottleneck.

I only had a couple of molds and seldom bought ready made. All those guns saw were 110gr and 95gr. My old records would show that none of the guns were what I'd call accurate unless the velocity was above average velocities found in what reloading info was available. That bad, "low" velocity accuracy wouldn't cause any problem with today's target size and distances,btw.

I recently got the DWs out to use in a local indoor range match and saw that some BullX 100s and my 110s were wobbling. Pumped up the velocity and the 110s (the BullX long ago wound up in the melting pot providing hardness) still showed some oval holes outdoors at 50yds. Bought an 80gr mold and discovered the 32s DWs and Ruger pistols shoot about twice as accurately now, indoors or out. Get round holes on paper too.

The 32-20 rifle with the barrel tube always shot accurately. I always wondered why. When I noticed the improvement in accuracy from the 32s that came from the shorter bullet and from the higher velocity, it occurred to me I ought to measure the twists. Turns out the rifle tube twist was WAY faster than the slow twists of the other guns. It is a modern tube in an antique rifle after all. The old marlin with the new barrel has always shot very accurately too. Same deal with it's twist. But again, not a problem today

Ah! I came up with one advantage to the 32 H&R over the 32/20. That would be carbide dies are available for reloading the 32 H&R. Love those carbide dies.

I'd like to expand this discussion to include the 327 Federal Magnum that looks to be about 1/8" longer than the 32 H&R.

Also, the 25/20. Although not a handgun cartridge, it's specifically allowed as a rifle cartridge.

I have had a set of 32-20 match guns for years and shoot them about twice a year. I usually shoot 45

I really like the 32-20 caliber and have no problems with the reloading, unless you count one really bonehead stunt last year that certainly had nothing to do with the caliber.

Something that has not been mentioned: If you like to shoot long range, lever action, pistol caliber side matches, the 32-20 is a real sleeper.

Sorry, I have nothing to offer on the 32HR,

Shot and reloaded the 32-20 for years and love it.

When the 32 H&R came out I played with it to the tune of maybe 10,000 rounds and continuing.

My advice, pick the 32 H&R and don't look back.

Spot on !

Reloading both would convince you of the wisdom of that advice right quick.

I shoot 32's now and have shot the 32-20 previously. love them both. The 32-20 is definately cleaner especially with BP. THe life of the brass is deffinately better in the H&R. I have shot BP out of the H&R and no problem meeting smoke factor.

You can not go wrong with either. If you see me at a shot let me know and you can shot my marlin. I shoot 32 shorts in my pistols but you could put the rifle rounds in there and shoot too if you like.

Painted FIlly

The present magnetism (although not great) in Cowboy Action Shooting of both the .32 H&R and the .32-20 'appears' to be in the shortages of these calibers in the 1894 Marlin.

Anytime time a particular GOOD thing stops being made, the desire to get those 'hard to obtain' items become greater for some folks.

Apparently, Marlin (thru Davidson) only made about 500 of the .32-20 Cowboy models. And, I'm trying to help a Cowboy shooter (and SASS member) friend sell his, which is in top notch, like new, shape.....and UNMODIFIED to my knowledge.

Thanks for ALL the input because I was wanting to learn more about some of the pros/cons of both calibers.....because I already own a .32 H&R 1894 Cowboy. Great rifle and caliber.

think I'll visit the Classifieds.

Thanks all.

..........Widder

I love my 32-20s, I have my original Remington brass from 1989 and my new Winchester brass I picked up this year. The Winchester brass is from a local shop, it had been sitting there for a few years, I got three boxes of 50 for 2001 prices. With Trail Boss and 110gr bullets there's very little recoil. With a full case of BP and 100gr bullets recoil's noticeable but not bad.

I have owned a .32 H&R pistol in one form or another since 1985 (it came out in 1984).

I currently own original an original 1873 and 1892 in .32-20 and have owned an original Bisley in .32-20 (ca. 1902) and a Colt Lightning rifle (ca. 1901).

Here is the main differences for me:

* .32 H&R shoots bullets up to 95 pretty well while the .32-20 is mostly shot with 110-120 grain bullets

* .32-20 brass is somewhat harder to find than the .32 H&R mag

* a revolver in .32 H&R mag will also shoot .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W, .32 Colt and .32 ACP (a semi-rimmed cartridge that will work in most revolvers)

* The .32-20 gives a shooter an opportunity to shoot some very classic guns. The rifles have the same frame and outer barrel diameters as the .38-40 and .44-40, so there is a lot of metal supporting the chamber and inner barrel pressure.

I like both. I have an original 73 Winchester that had a shot out barrel (32-20), so I relined it. Then I bought a second shot out barrel and relined it and chambered it for 32 H&R. I have pistols in both calibers. The only draw back is I have to seat the bullets out as far as possible in the pistols, this way I get pretty good feeding in the rifle with the 32 H&R barrel. I can load about 12 rounds of H&R in the rifle before I start having feed problems, but 10 rounds work pretty well.

I have an orignal Wincehster 73, a third generation Colt with a 5.5" barrel and a 1st Generation 7.5" (that started out life as a .44 and someone converted) in this caliber, and I enjoy them greatly. (I also have a S&W Model 10)

I run a charge of Trail Boss behind a 100 grain bullet, and they are very pleasant to shoot with almost no recoil. But in the 7.5" Colt, they are very LOUD! (But not the other 2 guns)

Reloading is easy, especially with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. In my opnion, it is a caliber that you can't go wrong with.

Don't know much about the .32 Magnum though.

I started shooting CAS with 32-20's and still like them a lot. With the 32-20 you have a pretty wide range of guns available. With the .32 H&R magnum, not so much. As far as I know the now discontinued (I've heard) Marlin 94.

The pistols available are limited as well to the Ruger Single-six and the Uberti Stallion (At least I think they make it in .32 H&R).

In rifles 32-20 Uberti Mods '73 & 66 are available, as well as Marlin 94's (But I don't think Marlin still makes them.) There are also a lot of original Winchesters in '92 & '73 still around, as well as the older Marlins, or even a Colt Lightning.

As far as pistols go most all of the makers of the 1873 Colt's clones (including Colt) make replicas or reproductions. Ruger made a run of Vaqueros several years ago. And there is always the Ruger "Buckeye Special" with a convertible 32-20 - 32 H&R cylinder set.

I have a set of 32 H&R Ruger Single sixes and a Marlin Model 92 that has been converted to shoot 32 S&W Long.

I also have pairs of 32-20 Colts and Colt clones paired with a Uberti '73 in 32-20 as well as a couple of other 32-20 rifles.

Because of the available guns each has it's advantages. The short-stroked Rugers Single Sixes are very fast shooting Gunfighter. But the Colts are Colts and there is nothing else like them. The Uberti '73 is a lot better in matches than the "92 Marlin.

The 32 H&R (I use 32 S&W in mine) is a little easier to start reloading for since it's just like a small 38 special.

Once you get your dies set up and adjusted for the 32-20 though, it loads pretty easy. It's just a lot more trouble to get the dies adjusted right.

I'd have to place my vote with the .32-20.

I shoot both. My 32-20 Marlin has jammed twice in 11years. The first time, the loading gate screw came loose and the loading gate was flopping around. Blue Loctite cured that problem. The second time, a bullet stuck in the barrel and wouldn't permit anymore cartridges to feed into the barrel. Insuring that there was powder in the cartridge cured that problem. With the loads we shoot, case stretching has never been a problem. I started out loading Remington nickel cases so that it would be easier telling them apart from the 32 mag at the loading table. The Remingtons weren't as smooth feeding so I went to Starline which I've used ever since. Found out later the Remington brass was longer.

o.k. Lumpy, I clean up a few of them.

Seems I have to clean it out everyweek.

I think alot of folks have me confused with somebody else.......like Elvis or something.

..........Widder

W H,

never shot the .32 H&R, but on the 32-20, make sure all your brass is from the same maker. Bought a '73 (orig.) back in '66. Would always shoot it 2-3 times a year. Never reloaded for it, just saved the brass, I reloaded other calibers. Enter SASS, deceide to reload some 32-20, more problems than you can shake a stick at, jamming big time, bullets pushed back into cases. Long story short ,,, Rem., UMC, WW, Western, Win., Starline, all different case lengths. I had 30+ yrs. of 32-20 cases to trim down to Starline length ,, it was the shortest. Sooo, check the case lengths if you use mixed brass.

Isom

Would love to shoot either one. Can't here in Canada as .32 (and .25) are prohibited calibers in handguns. Only evil lawbreakers would want to shoot these nasty calibers according the "powers that be!" Don't know if I've ever heard of a .32 caliber single action being used to rob a convenience store or in a drive by shooting, but suppose it could be a rampant problem.

Either would a great caliber for recoil sensitive shooters (juniors, ladies, arthritic hands/wrists) but no, just too evil to be allowed north of the 49th Parallel.

Just have to stick with my .45's!

Widder,

For BP, 32-20 just for the sake of less blow-by and the resulting cleaner chambers.

But 32 H&R would work with BP too.

As far as feeding, I don't think it would be an issue at all either way. If set up properly, feeding either case should be flawless. If either go in incorrectly, they will not feed right. I had a 73 in 44-40 that fed wrong and chewed up cases. The bottleneck and taper doesn't come into play til after feeding begins. At this point, does it matter? Not really. Is it feeding in squarely to start with? It's the bullet profile and feed angle that makes more of a difference and I am sticking to that. Widder can get a rifle to feed and eject empties anyway, even with short for caliber cartridges just a s fast and smooth as loaded (45 Cowboy, 44 Russian, 38 short etc). By far, my sons Widdermatic feeds better than any rifle in this house.

My nod, 32 H&R for brass strength, availability and cost. But I personally see more rifle and pistol availability in 32-20.

Howdy Widder,

I'll add a little to this thread :-) I like 'em both.

My wife, Miss Harley Davidson, and my daughter, Kookanadude, shoot both calibers. Their rifles are 32/20's and their pistols are 32 H&R. They're both happy with this set-up.

Archived