SASS Wire Forum

loading 45-70 on a 550

Key Hay

I want to start loading 45-70 for long range but have run out of space on my loading bench for a single stage press. Will a 550 do 45-70 (except for powder, I'll weigh that out separately)?

I found a Dillon 550 conversion kit but not Dillon 45-70 dies. Any recommendations for 45-70 dies?

Yes, and I load .45-90 also on mine w/BP

2 step process-Size-prime- flare case mouth.

off press charge cases w/BP.

Then compress powder-seat bullet and remove mouth flare.

What brand case are you using?

LG

I got Starline

You should anneal the case mouths before loading.

As per Starline--

LG

May only need to anneal for BP (and substitutes)?

Starline:

Be aware this is not always necessary. Only if cases are extremely dirty and a lot of unburned powder is consistently found in chamber would you need to anneal.

When loading with black powder, annealing of mouth may be necessary to allow case to properly seal chamber due to lower pressures generated by these loads. Our case is produced very strong to withstand high pressure loads associated with smokeless hunting loads

call dillon they supply rcbs dies.

i set my sizer to size about 3/4 length.

decap pin set all way down.

size decap and prime stage 1. have stage 2 set to barelly spread the case edge to except the bullett ( i size to 459 bore is 458). remove .load trail boss using a dead weight scale (rcbs 10 10). then seat with 3rd stage and crimp on 4th . do one at a time and verry happy with out come.

There is no need to crimp a single shot rifle case.

Respectfully,

LG

Correction,

There is no need for a heavy roll crimp. Granted. A good snug taper crimp sure makes for better and more complete powder burns, and therefore better consistency.

As for dies and press, It's darn hard to beat Hornady dies, and a quality turret press, such as the Lyman T-Mag. Since you are going to drop powder off the press anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose of a Progressive press in the first place.

Bolt your press on a piece of 2X6 and clamp it to your bench with a C clamp. Easy to remove when not in use.

RBK

What "correction" -------- :wacko:

I stand by what I said :excl:

My .45-70 & .45-90 loads show 6-8 fps(E.S.)deviation for 10 shots.

I do use .002 neck tension for my 30:1 alloy Paul Jones, Creedmoor bullet.

All a tapper crimp does is to squeeze the bullet OD down on a soft lead bullet.

Try this-Crimp like you do. Pull the bullet and measure the OD. How much smaller is it now, than when you loaded it?

LG

Correction,

There is no need for a heavy roll crimp. Granted. A good snug taper crimp sure makes for better and more complete powder burns, and therefore better consistency.

As for dies and press, It's darn hard to beat Hornady dies, and a quality turret press, such as the Lyman T-Mag. Since you are going to drop powder off the press anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose of a Progressive press in the first place.

Bolt your press on a piece of 2X6 and clamp it to your bench with a C clamp. Easy to remove when not in use.

RBK

Was asking about Dillons since that's what I have. Got no room for another press. Looks like it will be RCBS, Lyman or Hornady for dies.

There's a couple of reasons to anneal your cases but I think the most important reason is to achieve a consistant neck tension. I anneal my W-W cases and neck size my fire formed cases to about .001 under the bullet size. No bell just a champher, once the BP is compressed and a veggie wad inserted, I seat my bullet with my thumb which results in a length right at max COL for my chamber.

I do this on a single stage Lee with Lee and Redding dies.

I found a Dillon 550 conversion kit but not Dillon 45-70 dies. Any recommendations for 45-70 dies?

No reason why you can't use Lee 45-70 dies on the 550 press. I use Lee dies for 380 ACP and 45 ACP on the Dillon

Charging powder separately, you can use the Dillon expander/belling plug with no powder in the powder tube

I load 45-70 on my 550 all the time using smokeless powder, Accurate 5744, other then making sure the cases are lubed enough, it isn't much different then loading a straight wall pistol cartridge. For smokeless, the Dillon powder measure works fine.

Archived