SASS Wire Forum

Brass vs Paper Shotshells advice

Salt Flat Swindler

I've been using the magtech brass shotshells for several years now. Started out with 20ga and later switched to 12ga.

I continue to have problems getting the shot to pattern in a group. I've reduced the powder charge and increased the size of shot used but still barely move the swinger targets and sometimes have to double tap knockdown targets.

I think the problem is with the forcing cone of modern shotguns that are set up for plastic shotshells. I also think having a cylinder choke contributes to the shot scattering.

Would switching to paper shotshells offer any advantage?

If you are using fiber wads in those brass shells, switch to plastic wads. In my brass shotshells I put the overpowder nitro card in, then a red Winchester wad (or Claybuster equivalent these days since Winchester doesn't make the red ones any more). The plastic wads are a bit loose inside thin brass hulls so the nitro card helps to seal the charge. Much better groups in modern guns.

I also use plastic wads in all-brass shells. For a 12 ga. I use a nitro card over the powder, a 1/2" cushion wad, then the short shot cup (not compressed) with one once of shot. Over shot card and sealed with Elmers white glue. This is for Black powder.

For Smokeless, I use two nitro cards, 1/4"-1/2" cushion wad, short shot cup. Two nitro cards are required for smokeless loads to properly build up gas pressure after ignition. Black powder is an explosion, Smokeless a burn.

+42.

Plastic wads. It's what the "modern" forcing cones anymore are designed for. Easier and cheaper too.

Good luck, GJ

My choice ranking for economy, reliable shucking and ease of loading with BP:

Rem STS - top choice

Win AA

Brass hulls

----- below here, I would not even bother for a good BP load

other plastic hulls

paper hulls

Archived