SASS Wire Forum

...of shot and lead - advice needed

Howdy folks -

Some time ago I got a really good deal on purchasing several bags of shot. I am relatively inexperienced on reloading shotshells, and use a Lee Load-All right now.

Trouble is that because the shot is probably quite old, when I opened the bags, there was a lot of lead-oxide dust along with the shot. Thankfully, I finished emptying the bag into another container outdoors.

So, what I did was to pour the shot onto a fashioned screen over a 5-gallon bucket and wash it down with a garden hose several times, let the whole thing thoroughly dry (a few days in hot sun), then spray the whole thing with silicone dry-lube, let dry, and poured it back into a clean container (I use old windshield washer bottles - makes easier pouring into the hopper).

Now, I still get dust, but much less - however I think it still may be significant.

Does anyone have any ideas on cutting down more on the dust???

I've been thinking going to hand-measuring the shot with a dipper? Don't want to, but I may have to if I want to reload indoors.

Again, any other ideas???? Thanks in advance.

Doc

The shot has picked up a carbonate coating, which is no concern really if the coating never flys up into the air as you are loading. Lead carbonate would not be something you would want to breathe in very often.

So, Re-Graphite that shot. Find powdered graphite at hardware or farm supply or auto supply store.

Work outside with a breeze, may want to use a paper dust mask, too. Put shot in an old metal pot that you are only going to fill about 1/4 full (less if too heavy). Add a teaspoon of graphite per 5 pounds of shot in the pot (bathroom scale is plenty close enough). May even be able to use less graphite - on first batch, see if you have left-over graphite in bottom of pot - you can then reduce the amount you add to the next batch. Shake and roll the lead around to recoat it with graphite. Then load and shoot it.

Here's a similar request on Trapshooter's site:

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/suggestions-on-cleaning-oxizidized-shot.71213/

Good luck, GJ

Take your brass tumbler outside.

Put some of the shot in the tumbler and run for 10 minutes.

This will knock loose most of the oxides.

Repeat until all shot has been done.

Then use your screen washer to rinse the dust off.

Let dry.

The coat with graphite or use as is.

Archived