SASS Wire Forum

Henry 1860 44-40

Hoss

I've got a bad case of wants for a 1860 Henry in 44-40. They Ubertis are quite a bit cheaper than the Henry. I've only seen one of each live and in person, the Henry seemed to have better fit/finish, but I'm not sure if its worth the extra $$$$. Have not shot either one. Anybody out there have any experiecnce with both, or either?

IMO the Uberti is all you will ever need. I have owned five over the years. One 45lc a d the rest in 44-40. All were reliable and dead accurate. Used the 45 colt to drop a coyote at 85 yards running offhand with one shot from the back door of my farm a few years back. Probably could not make that shot again in a million years, but have to bring it again and relive my "glory day". At any rate, for me, I would not spend the extra money on the US made version. The Uberti has a long history of solid , reliable service over at least 40 years, parts availability is good, etc. YMMV.

I have the Uberti, good shooting, fun and heavy. I have only shot CAS with it twice, just somewhat slower than my 1873. No complaints though, fun stuff! But to be very honest, I want one of the new ones made by Henry....

I have the iron framed Uberti version in 44-40, I want the Henry version at some point. I'm waiting on the price to come down on the Henry version, but it won't be $700 like I paid for the Uberti version.

I've got an Uberti and think it is great. The HRA one is very expensive, and I am not convinced it is worth the extra cash.

You know, it's funny, for years, many of us have felt harshly about HRA for their advertising practices. Now, when they finally come out with a real Henry, we all seem to think, "Nice, but too costly." I am not saying that this is right or wrong, but it is an interesting observation.

If I had the funds I would buy the Henry for sure.I have had great service from Henry.

I just wish Uberti would do a small run of the brass framed military versions in .44special every couple of years or so. I am still holding on to my short carrier in hopes that it will happen one day. Wouldn't a Henry in 44 Russian be the coolest toy at the next match??

I have a .45LC Henry from Cimarron/Uberti and it's my favorite firearm. I use it for long range matches. The fit and finish are super.

I've yet to see the Henry/Henry but it must really be something to warrant the cost......

That would be one heavy gun!

Well if Uberti can make a light 38 1866 I figure Henry can make a somewhat light 1860 in 38...

I just wish Uberti would do a small run of the brass framed military versions in .44special every couple of years or so. I am still holding on to my short carrier in hopes that it will happen one day. Wouldn't a Henry in 44 Russian be the coolest toy at the next match??

I have been bidding on them my self.

I would buy one out right if I could get it in 44special

I have an HRA version. It required the usual slicking up, lighter springs, etc. Works fine now. To my knowledge, no "drop in" short stroke kits are available so mine is factory length which is very long. I guess I'm just use to short stroke '73's. The wood on my gun is really nice in terms of figure. However, the fit of the wood to metal was rather poor. That was a disappointment for a gun in this price range. However, a little bedding work corrected that. Henry's enjoy a good reputation for accuracy and mine certainly bears that out. Many attribute the accuracy to the very stiff one piece barrel/magazine. I do like my HRA Henry, but is it worth the preminum over the Uberti? Guess that is up to the individual buyer.

TR

I've got an Uberti and think it is great. The HRA one is very expensive, and I am not convinced it is worth the extra cash.

You know, it's funny, for years, many of us have felt harshly about HRA for their advertising practices. Now, when they finally come out with a real Henry, we all seem to think, "Nice, but too costly." I am not saying that this is right or wrong, but it is an interesting observation.

I don't think anybody was clamoring for them to make a 1860 Henry, just to stop implying that they made the originals.

Howdy

I have an 'Iron Frame' (actually steel) Uberti 1860 Henry chambered for 44-40. It is my main match rifle, I have been using it for about five years now. Other than the proof loads before it left Italy it has never seen any Smokeless rounds through it, only Black Powder. Mine was slicked up a bit by Happy Trails. I do love my Henry, more than my '73.

A couple of things to be aware of with the Henry design.

1. NEVER allow the follower to slam down on live cartridges in the magazine. Rounds can be set off this way. Always control the follower and lower it carefully onto the column of rounds in the magazine.

2. NEVER drop live rounds straight down the magazine. Always hold the rifle at a slight angle from horizontal and allow them to slowly 'trickle' down the length of the magazine

Shooting with Black Powder on a hot summer day the Henry gets too hot to hold after ten rounds or so. No wooden for stock. I use a glove on my left hand so I don't get burnt. In cold weather the nice warm barrel is a nice handwarmer.

Well if Uberti can make a light 38 1866 I figure Henry can make a somewhat light 1860 in 38...

A Henry will always be heavier than a '66 or '73 of the same barrel length and caliber, because the barrel and magazine are machined from one solid bar of steel. The '66 and '73 are lighter because of the light weight tubular magazine. My 24" 44-40 Henry weighs a full pound more than my 24" 44-40 '73. A 38 caliber Henry is going to weigh even more, because the smaller caliber hole leaves more metal behind. No way around it, a Henry will always be heavy, a 38 caliber Henry would be very heavy.

Driftwood, ok that makes mroe sense. Thanks for explaining it for me. Explains why they never offer 'em in 38/357.

Howdy,

If you want lighter hunt up a 1892 in 44 W.C.F.

I had to take mine to two different gunsmiths to get it running right.

Now its one of my favorites.

I insist folks shoot it and all I ask is they pick up the cases.

One fella said he had never shot a lever action before.

Commented it didn't have a scope and third shot he hit a beer can at 100 yards.

He asked if I was selling it.

I love a good joke.

Best

CR

If the USA made rifle was a couple hundred bucks more than the Uberti, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Almost twice the price?? No thank you!

Rye

I had a dream that Ruger started making its own version of the 1873...and it was glorious...

I would just love to have more American made rifle options...

I am wondering if these HRA Henries are really 100 % in the USA?

Is this possibly a deal similar to the one on the 2nd gen Colt C&B pistols marketed by Colt during the 1970s and 1980s?

Please, get me right I don't wish to start rumors here.

However, I would like to see comparative measurements of the HRA and the Uberti Henry.

Long Johns Wolf

I had a gun shop owner tell me the new Henry is all off proportion wise... And that the uberti is closer to the original. Anybody know if there is truth to that?

It shouldn't be, if they acquired an original and reverse-engineered as they say they did.

My local dealer had the USA 1860 in his about 6 weeks ago. I looked at that gun for a few days and told the wife I wanted it but was not going to pay that price ($1995) for it. After a couple more days she came to me and said she had a surprise, and handed me the money to buy the rifle. So I now own an American made Henry rifle in 44-40 and I love it

Driftwood's got it nailed! I've had a Navy Arms M1860 Military Henry (Uberti-made) since I started in CAS. It has always run great and I use .44-40 smokeless loads running 1084 ft/sec (950 ft/se from my tight-throated Ruger OM Vaquero w/7-1/2" barrel). I noted NO change in headspace after 3500 rounds. I have pretty much retired it in favor of Rossi M92's as the weight of the barrel and magazine loaded gets to be a bit much for my aging aching back. The Rossi with the 20" bbl, i can almost shoot one-handed. But I don't plan to sell the Henry unless I have to quit shooting altogether...someday. GREAT GUN!

Hoss,

Here is mine. It is a 1983 deluxe model that was imported by Navy arms. Notice it has a oil finish checkered stock. The fit and finish is outstanding. I paid $800 for it in unfired condition 2 years ago. I have added a short stroke kit and a lighter springs. Shoots pretty good. I don't know that an extra $1000 could buy one that much better.

1334595377.jpg

1329775626.jpg

I had a gun shop owner tell me the new Henry is all off proportion wise... And that the uberti is closer to the original. Anybody know if there is truth to that?

All too often gunshop employees don't know what they are talking about when they say things like that. Ask him to show you specifically where the proportions are off.

Both the Uberti 1860 Henry and the new HRAC version have longer carriers than the originals, to accommodate longer rounds than the original 44 Henry Rimfire round, rounds like 45 Colt and 44-40. The frames of both versions are longer than the originals in the area of the carrier to accommodate the longer rounds. Perhaps that is what he was talking about. However, overall both are very close replicas to the originals.

All too often gunshop employees don't know what they are talking about when they say things like that. Ask him to show you specifically where the proportions are off.

Both the Uberti 1860 Henry and the new HRAC version have longer carriers than the originals, to accommodate longer rounds than the original 44 Henry Rimfire round, rounds like 45 Colt and 44-40. The frames of both versions are longer than the originals in the area of the carrier to accommodate the longer rounds. Perhaps that is what he was talking about. However, overall both are very close replicas to the originals.

Kind of what I figured pard.... Thanks for the info. I honestly would take either one. Thought about Marlin 32-20 to help pave the way.

I have worked on several Uberti Henry's over the years and several other HRA's guns too. Although I have only handle their Henry, haven't actually been inside one yet. My overall impression is they both do a good job for final fit and finish, at least on the outside. But, on the inside the HRA guns are far and away superior in fit and finish.

This seems to be a European thing and has been one of my pet peeves for years now. Final fit and finish adds upwards of 30% to the cost because that is mostly hands on work. The thing I dislike is traditionally if you had a gun that was finely fitted and finished on the outside you could expect it to as nice inside as well. But, in the last 50 or so years many of the guns coming out of Europe look really great on the outside but the insides were just terrible. Case in point, the CZ SXS's. Beautiful guns but stiff and poorly fitted inside and for the money they go for I think they should be better.

Bottom line is the HRA's Henry will be the superior product. Also, my guess is It will be stronger than the Uberti brass frame version. I'm sure HRA's uses the same brass like metal for their version, as they use for their Big Boys. It looks like brass but is some sort of ferrous metal. So, it should be as strong as the Uberti iron frame Henry's.

As for the cost difference, you can blame a lot of that on our litigious legal system. Unlike the rest of the civilized world where they have loser pay legal systems, here you can sue the proverbial ham sandwich and it doesn't cost you anything if you lose. Over there if you sue and lose you pay the other folks legal expenses, too. This adds as much as 30% to 40% to the final cost. And, it's not just guns. They say it adds at least 50% to the cost of even a step ladder. :wacko:

We really need loser pay tort reform here. This will be the only thing that will bring our firearms manufacturing back to the USA.

• 1 month later...

I have been waiting for the Henry version to start to start flowing in the pipeline. They are beginning to show up. I see them on gunbroker now for $1700 to $1800. I really like the looks of the iron frame better and I have to polish the brass on my Uberti 66 after each shoot to keep it looking new. So, I'm hoping for an iron frame at some point.

I got to fondle a HRA 1860 in a gun store in San Antonio. Marked at 2299. I asled the clerk if there was any wiggle room. he said probably, took the gun to a computer, pecked away for a bit, then went to the back of the store, spoke to another guy....I'm thinkin, man o man he is going to give me a really good price. Probably took 10 minutes to come back and tell me he could knock off 100. I was pretty diappointed. I was thinking 1900 tops, I had seen them on Gunbroker for 1800-1850. Sooner or later one will be mine! I've already bought 500 peices of new Starline brass for it, just waiting on the right rifle to come along. Then get some pistols and load em up with BP!

Archived