SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 38-55 Highwall

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

I have one.... Love It !

Very well made Beautiful gun & extremely accurate

It took me quite awhile to find the correct load for it......

I almost gave it away a couple of times when I was still experimenting.

It kept tumbling bullets.... very frustrating....

But Once I got the load right the thing is a tack driver.

Also mine re-cocks the hammer w/ you lever it....

they dont all do that, But its a Big Help in any timed event!

Anybody own or shoot one of these? Interested in thoughts about them.I've got my eye on a deluxe model pistol grip with double set triggers.

Thanks

that is what I have. when I got it I could not get it to shoot straight at all. keyholes at 100 yards, erratic POI at 200, at 300 it was a chore just to keep track of where the bullets were landing.

Had the chamber cast and found the bore to be nearly .005 over size. Got ahold of Cimarron and they rebarreled it and returned it in less than 3 weeks. Terrific customer service.

Now I use a .380 Bear Creek or Buffalo arms bullet at 255 grains and if I can see the target the rifle will hit it.

I have heard but have no actual evidence that there was a run of them that had the oversize bores but I could not be happier with this one after the rebarrel.

Also could not be more satisfied with a vendor than I am with Cimarron.

Regards

Gateway Kid

I have one with straight stock and DST. After several weeks searching for an accurate load [38-55s are a little finicky} it shoots very, very well. The set trigger was perfect right out of the box. It did not like the shorter bullets-ended up with a 265 gr .379 bullet and a 275gr .381 bullet-mostly use the .379 bullet with a very full case of APP.

Great rifle-no complaints.

Ken Waters has an article on 38/55s. The load he describes as a very accurate match load with 4198 is indeed that…..using 240 gr Laser cast bullet at around 1600fps is good to 900 yds - yeah, I know they can't go that far -- and closer. Probably not enuff energy at 900 yds to nail a chipmunk, but it makes the target ring.

Archived