SASS Wire Forum

Upgrade from Rossi '92?

Judge Lewis

First off, I don't think that anyone can "outrun" a '92. By outrunning it, I mean cycling the gun faster than the cartridges can feed out of the magazine. Stovepiping empties is a sign of a gun that needs a little more tuning work, not outrunning the gun. A '92 that's properly tuned will feed as fast as someone can run the lever. I have an old Winchester '92 in 32-20 that I'd like to see someone "outrun".

The '92's are also a much stronger action, lighter frame and more compact gun than the '73's. From the standpoint of being a "using" gun, the '92 is head and shoulders above the '73.

When you compare a stock '73 to a tuned '92 for SASS, it's still my opinion that the '92 is superior. The stroke is about the same and a well tuned '92 is a pleasure to shoot. One problem with the '92, though, is that it has an internal safety mechanism that blocks the firing pin when the trigger is pulled before the lever is closed all the way, the hammer will fall but the gun won't go off because the firing pin is blocked. (This is not "outrunning" the gun.)

BUT, for Cowboy Action Shooting, a well tuned, short stroked '73 is a thing of pure beauty and a real pleasure to run. Because of the lever safety, you can't drop the hammer too soon and get a failure to fire. I regularly shoot with cowboys who can run a '73 at cyclic rates in the submachine gun range (400 rpm). They can't do that with a '92 because the lever stroke is too long.

If I'm going hunting, I'd take the '92. For CAS the tuned, short stroked '73 is much better. And for the record, I think they are both great looking guns!

First off, I don't think that anyone can "outrun" a '92. By outrunning it, I mean cycling the gun faster than the cartridges can feed out of the magazine. Stovepiping empties is a sign of a gun that needs a little more tuning work, not outrunning the gun. A '92 that's properly tuned will feed as fast as someone can run the lever. I have an old Winchester '92 in 32-20 that I'd like to see someone "outrun".

With all due respect - you are incorrect.

A fast shooter can "Outrun" a properly tuned 92.

I began with stock 92's - and shortly after that I had "properly" tuned 92's built by Nate Jones.

I used the guns for long enough - I knew what the proper stroke length was to operate them - the proper ammo length to make them run.

Those worked for me for a handful of years - until I began outrunning the guns.

It was not user error - It was a limitation of the gun.

I am a very capable rifle shooter - Not the fastest in the world by any stretch, but very capable.

And if I can do it.... Then there are plenty of others that can as well.

No slam on the 92 - the 92 is a much stronger action than a 73 and has a number of features marking it as an improvement over the 73.

But we are not discussing the best hunting lever action or the strongest action for proof testing or any of a 100 other areas where the 92 is a better rifle.

We are discussing these rifles as they apply to the game of cowboy action shooting where speed of operation (and reliability at speed) is of paramount importance.

And under this very specific set of conditions - the 92 is a lesser rifle than the 73.

Yes a fast shooter like Deuce Stevens and a few other shooters around can over run the 92 Action.

I my self can not !

I am a 92 man my self and love the small little rifle.

With some practice I probably could learn to run faster.

But We all play the game for our own reasons and speed ant the reason I shoot the game.

Deuce once told me a guy should always buy the best stuff .

Because buying anything to git stated Coust you a lot more money in the long run.

But if you just want a 73 then buy one .

Its defiantly a faster action then the 92.

I just like my 92s.

Although I Am really really thinking about a new Henry 44/40 just for the cool factor !

But I will always love my 92s.

But I'd still like to have a specific definition as to what "outrunning the rifle" is.

By the way MM Rooster, I have an iron frame (actually steel) Henry 44-40 that I've converted to shoot 44 Russians. The stroke is so short that it's not legal for SASS. But it'll shoot fast.

But I'd still like to have a specific definition as to what "outrunning the rifle" is.

By the way MM Rooster, I have an iron frame (actually steel) Henry 44-40 that I've converted to shoot 44 Russians. The stroke is so short that it's not legal for SASS. But it'll shoot fast.

That sound sweet !

I would love a Brass Henry in a 44 Special.

But I will have to settle for 44/40 .

Deuce can out run the 92s.

They will stove pipe or jam the action up or Jack out the round.

But I will bet 90% of the shooters in the game can NOT out run the 92s.

Buying the best is great and all, but if I did that, it would be a while before I had anything. I went the cheaper route and have a R92. Now I can practice between shoots instead of only shooting on match day because I had to borrow a rifle.

I've decided to have my other '92 slicked up. Who is the best? The only cowboy gunsmith close is Jimmy Spurs. I met him at the Vermont state shoot. He is lightening fast and a real gentleman. He cleared jams for several shooters including me. I know he has a good reputation for Rugers, but don't know about '92s.

I've decided to have my other '92 slicked up. Who is the best? The only cowboy gunsmith close is Jimmy Spurs. I met him at the Vermont state shoot. He is lightening fast and a real gentleman. He cleared jams for several shooters including me. I know he has a good reputation for Rugers, but don't know about '92s.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/ seems to be the one to go to

http://www.stevesgunz.com/ seems to be the one to go to

+1 Steve is the go to 92man.

The gun is really not that hard to work on.

Buy Steve's CD and spring kit and you can do it yourself for less then 100 $ .

Then you will know your own rifle inside and out.

+1 Steve is the go to 92man.

The gun is really not that hard to work on.

Buy Steve's CD and spring kit and you can do it yourself for less then 100 $ .

Then you will know your own rifle inside and out.

Great idea but it that something that a pard can do with no experience?

Yes. I've done 3. But, check out Nate's site, you might be surprised at the price of a tuned gun vs the price of a stock one. The first one I did is the best, and ergo, I had no experience... had to dig into my NRA firearms book to learn how to take it apart and put it together. I did the way everyone warns not to. It's a .38... slicker'n snot on a Louisiana swamp... and FAST. In the nearly 29 years since it was done, it's not stove-piped or double fed a round. It'll feed anything I put thru it from wadcutters to 180 gr truncated cones... BUT... I was lucky, the slots in the guides were the right distance to feed both 38Spl and .357Mag length brass.

It's much faster than my stock '73 or either of the other Rossi 1892s I've done since then. The 2nd one was for my son, who was 11 at the time I got it, and he used to think he could outrun it... but in fact, he just tended to short stroke it or bounce the lever at the bottom of the stroke. I've never had it do that to me... but I tend to run at a pace and don't tend to try speedin' up too much. The 3rd one is a .45 Colt that was intended from the git-go as a combination competition gun and hog gun... so I left it significantly tighter than either of the other two. It can't run quite as fast as either my '73 or Marlin.

There is always a first times for everything .

The first rifle I ever did was before I ever seen Steve's Video .

It turned out slicker than shot.

With some patience and Steve's CD.

ANY one can do it.

Every one says its a hard rifle to work on.

But I thought it was quite easy.

I once saw a guy beat everyone with a '92 in .45 that was stock!

Now "want'n" is a different story. ;)

Last month, one of the top shooters around here broke his tricked out '66 at our state shoot and took top overall honors last weekend at another club's two day shoot with a M94 Winchester .45 Colt that takes two men and a strong boy to work the lever on. :blink:

Yes. I've done 3. But, check out Nate's site, you might be surprised at the price of a tuned gun vs the price of a stock one. The first one I did is the best, and ergo, I had no experience... had to dig into my NRA firearms book to learn how to take it apart and put it together. I did the way everyone warns not to. It's a .38... slicker'n snot on a Louisiana swamp... and FAST. In the nearly 29 years since it was done, it's not stove-piped or double fed a round. It'll feed anything I put thru it from wadcutters to 180 gr truncated cones... BUT... I was lucky, the slots in the guides were the right distance to feed both 38Spl and .357Mag length brass.

It's much faster than my stock '73 or either of the other Rossi 1892s I've done since then. The 2nd one was for my son, who was 11 at the time I got it, and he used to think he could outrun it... but in fact, he just tended to short stroke it or bounce the lever at the bottom of the stroke. I've never had it do that to me... but I tend to run at a pace and don't tend to try speedin' up too much. The 3rd one is a .45 Colt that was intended from the git-go as a combination competition gun and hog gun... so I left it significantly tighter than either of the other two. It can't run quite as fast as either my '73 or Marlin.

Thanks, I checked out his site and will call him this week to see what he has. I am a little reluctant to take on a project like this in the middle of the shooting season and be forced to use the backup.45 rifle at the same time as the .38 Spec pistols.

Archived