SASS Wire Forum

Upgrade from Rossi '92?

Judge Lewis

I have two Rossi '92 rifles. One in .45 that has an action job, and one in .357 that is pretty much stock. I shoot .38 Spec in the .357 and I have not had a problem with either of them. I like the look of the Uberti '73 and some of them have really nice wood and finish. Any good reasons to upgrade other than looks?

One of two reasons. If you plan on shooting in categories that require an older model rifle, get the 73. If you're outrunning the 92s speed wise, get the 73. Otherwise, keep the 92s. Unless you're looking for an excuse to get a 73 :)

Judge;

Between the feeding mechanism, and the length of the stroke, you'll find that there is a speed limit built into the '92. Having a good 'smith like Kiowa Jones or Shotgun Boogie work over your '92, will extend that a bit.

You'll know when you're outrunning your gun; stovepipes and short-stroking jams will become ever more present.

The straight line feed of the '73, and the ready availability of short-stroke kits, such as Jim Bowie's excellent 3rd, 4th, and 5th Gens, will allow you to run the '73 as fast as you can humanly manipulate the rifle, and, as long as it is in time, do so, without problems.

Notice I didn't mention appearance; that is subjective, and if it floats your boat, it's time to go sailing! :-)

Cheers,

FJT

What he said.

And if speed is the goal go all in and get a prepped rifle.

At some point I'll no doubt do the same. At this point I"m chasing one thing to the next till I'm the limiting factor..shotgun is pretty good would like new hammers and gonna reverse the triggers. A hammerless is the better choice of course.
Resprung my vaqueros..short stroking is the next upgrade if I want to spend that much...a shotgun would probably get me a better time reduction for the money.

My 92 is the first one I slicked up and it's now the slowest item..give me trouble over the weekend. So it's getting more polishing work, lighter trigger, stock change, and we'll see where that puts me. I REALLY like this gun but haven't tried a race ready 73 to see what it feels like.

I still feel my gear is holding me back some...so Visa to the rescue! :P

At your next shoot try someone's rifle and see what you think.

Not really unless your in the top 10% of the CAS match shooters in the United States

I am a 92 man myself .

I cant out run my 92,

So no reason to spend the cash on a 73.

I love my brass 92 and I use it a lot for hunting and a back up for my back up at out of town shoots.Never need a back up for my 73s.The 92 is really slick done by Nate and Possum can shoot a 92 faster than I can shoot my 73.Look at Widder or Duece or Slick shoot a marlin.If you out run your 92 buy 73 or marlin or 66.I shot my 92 until I found a really good deal on a 73.I would still like to find me a 66.Shoot someones slick 73 or maybe a marlin or even a 66 and see what you like.Good luck with you rifle hunt.

Thanks for the replies. I am not outrunning the '92s, maybe just looking for an exscuse to buy a new cowboy gun. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to properly clean the rifle without having to disassemble it.

Long as you got the wherewithal and room to store 'em , no reason to delay having as many rifles as your heart desires. Sixguns and shotguns , too. Just a hint of excuse or "want it itis" is enough. Go for it.

Lack of excess funds keeps me in check. :lol:

Rex :D

I was shooting a Marlin 94 with no problems but just wanted a short stroked 73 for no other reason than I just wanted a 73. Just love the old west lever guns!

Thanks for the replies. I am not outrunning the '92s, maybe just looking for an exscuse to buy a new cowboy gun. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to properly clean the rifle without having to disassemble it.

Not sure how others do it, but I shoot pistols a lot and sure you can pull the slide, but to get inside the the rest of it..no easy task on a striker fired semi. So I opt for aerosol cleaner, spray, shake..drip drip till things run clean then I repeat the process with a lube spray. I favor grease on some things so add that manually and there, I'm done. I look in the bore but unless I see an excess of lead I dont' clean it very often. Seems if i do the next shoot the lead is back in there. as long as I see nice 'clean' looking rifling I'm happy. Unless of course the weapon exhibits some bad behavior (POI, jamming, etc) then I'll get more intensive on the cleaning/lubing.

Pull the stock, Remove the magazine cap, spring and follower. Hold muzzle up over a container and Spray non-chlorinated carb cleaner down the barrel and mag tube until it runs clear. Then spray out the action as best you can. I do this once a month or every 3-5 matches

Run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel and mag tube. Use a needle type spot oiler and hit the areas where parts move with a light coat of oil. Wipe the mag spring with a light coal of oil on a lint free cloth. Reassemble and cycle the action a few times. Wipe down the outside with a lightly oiled lint free cloth.

Shoot 3 to 5 matches a month and have had no issues with this method. Every 4 to 6 months I pull the bolt and do a complete cleaning of the chamber and action using Ed's Red Bore Cleaner. Relube and reassemble.

YMMV

One of two reasons. If you plan on shooting in categories that require an older model rifle, get the 73. If you're outrunning the 92s speed wise, get the 73. Otherwise, keep the 92s. Unless you're looking for an excuse to get a 73 :)

Those are the two best reasons

Pull the stock, Remove the magazine cap, spring and follower. Hold muzzle up over a container and Spray non-chlorinated carb cleaner down the barrel and mag tube until it runs clear. Then spray out the action as best you can. I do this once a month or every 3-5 matches

Run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel and mag tube. Use a needle type spot oiler and hit the areas where parts move with a light coat of oil. Wipe the mag spring with a light coal of oil on a lint free cloth. Reassemble and cycle the action a few times. Wipe down the outside with a lightly oiled lint free cloth.

Shoot 3 to 5 matches a month and have had no issues with this method. Every 4 to 6 months I pull the bolt and do a complete cleaning of the chamber and action using Ed's Red Bore Cleaner. Relube and reassemble.

YMMV

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try.

Not really unless your in the top 10% of the CAS match shooters in the United States

I'm not really sure where this idea comes from, that only "Top" shooters benefit from "Top" level equipment.

Will having the "Top" equipment turn a mid pack shooter into a "Top" gun?

No, of course not.

But it will NEVER harm a shooter to have the "Top" level equipment.

A duffer golfer may not be able to get everything out of the best Callaway driver and he is never going to drive like Tiger Woods - But his drives will be longer than they are using his 1960's Ted Williams clubs from Sears.

Equipment does matter. At all levels.

I'm not really sure where this idea comes from, that only "Top" shooters benefit from "Top" level equipment.

Will having the "Top" equipment turn a mid pack shooter into a "Top" gun?

No, of course not.

But it will NEVER harm a shooter to have the "Top" level equipment.

A duffer golfer may not be able to get everything out of the best Callaway driver and he is never going to drive like Tiger Woods - But his drives will be longer than they are using his 1960's Ted Williams clubs from Sears.

Equipment does matter. At all levels.

+1.

But, I have to say... a well-tuned '92 is a fine piece of equipment... fit for multiple purposes... A stock '73 isn't necessarily an upgrade from a '92. Might just be the opposite. :ph34r:

I am a very average shooter.

A tuned and clean 92 shooting ammo that will reliably feed can make ten-shot strings of about 6 seconds for me. I get about the same time with an original 1892 that ahs 90+ years of breaking in.

A tuned (but not short-stroked) 1873 will run those ten rounds in about 4.5 seconds. Again, I consider myself to be an average shooter with most stage times in the mid-20s.

Is the 1.5 seconds worth the cost? Is it just cool to own more guns? Do you think the 1873 looks more 'cowboy?' Except for the answers in the SASS handbook that relate to category requirements, you get to answer these questions.

My $.02 worth is to enjoy your 92s and keep your eyes open for a 1873. It would be a cool gun to pick up if you made a find likea cowboy retiring form the game that has a Cody Conagher or Longhunter tuned version for a steal.

I have a really nice 92 that NKJ slicked up. I love that gun, but it stays in the safe these days. I bought a slicked up short stroked 73 and then another. The difference people talk about is real. Come the zombie apocalypse or a home invasion, I will chose my 92, but If I am playing cowboy, I won't leave home without a 73.

I am a 92 man myself .

I cant out run my 92,

So no reason to spend the cash on a 73.

I've got a 92, 66 and 73. I don't have any short stroked nor do I try to shoot fast. I just have them because I like them. No other reason needed. :D

I've got a 92, 66 and 73. I don't have any short stroked nor do I try to shoot fast. I just have them because I like them. No other reason needed. :D

As I stated I am 92 man my self!

I can not out run MY 92.

So there is no need to spend the money on a 73.

This is for Me.

If him or you want a 73 and have the cash to buy one.

Then buy what ever your Hart desires.

I have no need for one .

Class dismissed .

I have two Rossi '92 rifles. One in .45 that has an action job, and one in .357 that is pretty much stock. I shoot .38 Spec in the .357 and I have not had a problem with either of them. I like the look of the Uberti '73 and some of them have really nice wood and finish. Any good reasons to upgrade other than looks?

Best reason is you want one. Non of us need 1/4 th of the guns we have but as long as you take them out and shoot them ocasionally and enjoy them then there is no good reason not to have another. Just as long as you have the funds and are not short changing your family.

Thanks for all the good advice. I guess I was trying to find another reason other than I just want one. But, to be honest, I just want one and now have to decide which '73 is the best one for cowboy shooting.

Thanks for all the good advice. I guess I was trying to find another reason other than I just want one. But, to be honest, I just want one and now have to decide which '73 is the best one for cowboy shooting.

Well then there you go Pard.

Buy what you like and what you can afford.

Congratulations on making a choice on a new rifle.

Have fun with it.

As of right now, I have 2x92's and a marlin. One of my 92's was worked on by Kiowa Jones. It is my favorite rifle and I often use it as a truck gun.

Got rid of my 92's as they were too hard to disassemble for cleaning and did not like my 125 gr. bullets. Now down to a 66, 73, and Marlin 94. The latter for BP. The 73 for most matches. The 66, just because I have it.

As others have said just cause you like and want one is good enough. I have 2 92's and a slicked 66. I like all of them and will keep them, and if I run across a 73 I like and have the money I will probably buy it. Just saying

That's what happened to me. I started out with a Rossi 92 in .45. Found a very good priced Uberti 66 in .45 and bought it (paid $650 lightly used), then found a Uberti Trapper 73 in .38/357. I had to buy it to go with my two new Uberti 71 open top conversions. I paid less than $950 for the 73 brand new. I just couldn't pass it up. It had to come home with daddy.

Any particular model of '73 that is best suited for CAS?

Any of them that will hold 10 rounds. Beyond that the choice is personal preference.

I think EMF has some nice SASS 73 Ubertis. Can't go wrong with Jim Bowie at Cowboys and Indian doing the work.

Lots of people speak highly of the new Winchesters, but I notice a thread where one of them has problems.

I have two match ready 1866s but I really wish my 1894 FG Marlin was in a better caliber.

Archived