SASS Wire Forum

Fairness to Gunfighters

JaySnowden

The guys that have been shooting gunfighter know this......they know how to shoot within the category requirements. Anyone that feels like they can't meet the requirements should not choose to shoot gunfighter.

Stan

Ta Daaaa!! :D The rules have served us well, never seen a problem. Why in the name of Sam Hill are we still talking about this :huh: ?? And why in the h@!! did he start another thread on the same subject :wacko: ??...just to take up room :unsure: . Maybe Allie will combine this one with the other one.....

Time to shutup and shoot ;) ........The question is, if I wanted to stop shooting GFer could I :o

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to shoot gunfighter someday, but I'm a afraid some crazy bug will crawl up my fourth point of contact and make me complain incessantly about the unfairness of it all and I'll forget to have fun. I guess I'll just stick to double duelist for now since that's stil fun

Come on in, the water's fine. You will never have more fun with your clothes on :D

CR

Oh horrors, "unfairness" to gunfighters. Let's not forget the "unfairness" to double shooters for odd numbered shotgun stages. "Unfairness" to short people for props that are to high. "Unfairness" to tall people for window frames that are to low. "Unfairness" to fat people for having to move from point A to point B. Time to move on and just go shoot. Maybe the definition of SOG should be changed to cover excessive whining.

I think we're there now.

Ta Daaaa!! :D The rules have served us well, never seen a problem. Why in the name of Sam Hill are we still talking about this :huh: ?? And why in the h@!! did he start another thread on the same subject :wacko: ??...just to take up room :unsure: . Maybe Allie will combine this one with the other one.....

Time to shutup and shoot ;) ........The question is, if I wanted to stop shooting GFer could I :o

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I understand there is a 12 step program for that, but you have to want to join :P

It's really not that hard, I do it every week ;)

CR

I really want to shoot gunfighter someday, but I'm a afraid some crazy bug will crawl up my fourth point of contact and make me complain incessantly about the unfairness of it all and I'll forget to have fun. I guess I'll just stick to double duelist for now since that's stil fun

Iron,

it ain't the GFer's on this thread who are talking about the 'unfairness' of the rule.

It appears that the OP is complaining to justify why he doesn't shoot in the GF category. It appears the rest of us who shoot GF most or all of the time understand the rule and shoot our pistols accordingly.

Personally speaking, I've never thought it is an unfair rule.

..........Widder

+1 Widder

Recently I completed a major SASS sanctioned match shooting Jay Fighter. As Jay Fighter is not recognized by the SASS I competed and was scored within the Gunfighter Category. I shot the match in the following manner:

Revolvers, sights removed, fired with arms fully extended at shoulder level.

Rifle, shot mounted to shoulder as in any other category.

Shotgun, fired between waist and armpit. This manner of fire is consisted with accommodations made for shooters with shoulder or other like concerns.

The above shows that Jay Fighter and Gunfighter differs in only two significant ways:

1. Revolvers are employed without the benefit of sights.

2. The Shotgun is fired off the shoulder making the use of sights impossible.

The question is why would anyone want to shoot Jay Fighter. Two reasons:

1. It's fun!

2. It's challenging.

These two components result in great satisfaction upon completion of a match.

The next question is why should SASS recognized Jay Fighter as a Category?

Simply put, the Gunfight category is holding back dual shooters from competing at their best. This is caused by a general belief that the Jay Fighter is cheating do to their ability to engage two targets at once. I suggest the only reasons Gunfighters don't pull their triggers faster is they must acquire a sight picture before engaging a target.

The creation of a Jay Fighter category would allow the instinctive shooter ( or Jay )

to compete in peace.

At the Event I competed in recently I was assigned to a standard pose. I was treated well but was required to fire my revolvers separately limiting my ability to have FUN. As a matter of record I shot the match in a safe manner with no safety concerns being noted. I am not complaining that I would have shot better but only that I would have had more FUN.

Based on the above I request the SASS Leadership consider adding a Jay Fighter Category.

We shoot one at a time because that is the way the rules read.

Dang rules.

Can think of a lot of things I would like to do that would be fun. But you know what. There are rules against it.

SO I don't.

Learn to live within the rules. Or work to change them. But until then. Shoot by them.

Iron,

it ain't the GFer's on this thread who are talking about the 'unfairness' of the rule.

It appears that the OP is complaining to justify why he doesn't shoot in the GF category. It appears the rest of us who shoot GF most or all of the time understand the rule and shoot our pistols accordingly.

..........Widder

It's called sarcasm. Some people will always complain about something. The day I start complaining is most likely the day I stop having fun and thus the day I hang up my spurs. I'm actually practicing gun fighter today at the range in hopes that I can make the switch next match

Recently I completed a major SASS sanctioned match shooting Jay Fighter. As Jay Fighter is not recognized by the SASS I competed and was scored within the Gunfighter Category. I shot the match in the following manner:

Shotgun, fired between waist and armpit. This manner of fire is consisted with accommodations made for shooters with shoulder or other like concerns.

The above shows that Jay Fighter and Gunfighter differs in only two significant ways:

1. It's fun!

2. It's challenging.

Simply put, the Gunfight category is holding back dual shooters from competing at their best. This is caused by a general belief that the Jay Fighter is cheating do to their ability to engage two targets at once. I suggest the only reasons Gunfighters don't pull their triggers faster is they must acquire a sight picture before engaging a target.

The creation of a Jay Fighter category would allow the instinctive shooter ( or Jay )

to compete in peace.

At the Event I competed in recently I was assigned to a standard pose. I was treated well but was required to fire my revolvers separately limiting my ability to have FUN. As a matter of record I shot the match in a safe manner with no safety concerns being noted. I am not complaining that I would have shot better but only that I would have had more FUN.

Based on the above I request the SASS Leadership consider adding a Jay Fighter Category.

Are you serious????

If you ain't having fun playing by the rules as they are, maybe you should move on and start your own shooting sport. Let us know how that works out for ya.

Iron,

..........Widder

...joining the line forming behind Widder...

MTC

Iron,

..........Widder

You 'da man!

...and, of course, being the ONLY "Jay Fighter" at that "major SASS-sanctioned match" you would have WON 1st place in category & been Regional Champion by default...right??

(if they would have separated that one from reg'lar GF)

;)

(give up on BW, did ya?)

:ph34r:

REF: post #117

Are you serious????

If you ain't having fun playing by the rules as they are, maybe you should move on and start your own shooting sport. Let us know how that works out for ya.

+20 This is beginning to have the odor of an outdoor fish market in a heat wave.....

1. It's fun!

2. It's challenging.

to compete in peace.

17 copies. each notarized, on bond paper with a blood thumbprint on each page. Must be hand delivered between the hours of 10:00 AM GMT and 4:30 MST on the 3rd Tuesday of the second week in March. It will be taken under advisement.

CR

17 copies. each notarized, on bond paper with a blood thumbprint on each page. Must be hand delivered between the hours of 10:00 AM GMT and 4:30 MST on the 3rd Tuesday of the second week in March. It will be taken under advisement.

CR

CR, isn't there an application fee as well? Seems like it was $10,000 last I checked.

CR, isn't there an application fee as well? Seems like it was $10,000 last I checked.

Due to complaints, it's been dropped to $9,500. App processes faster if you include the thumb.

It's called sarcasm. Some people will always complain about something. The day I start complaining is most likely the day I stop having fun and thus the day I hang up my spurs. I'm actually practicing gun fighter today at the range in hopes that I can make the switch next match

;) got it.

and I wish you the best in getting involved in the GF category. Its a blast.

..........Widder

We'll get right on that ... see conditions and restrictions listed above.

(and inclusion of the thumb is now mandatory)

...as soon as the TGs recognize FCGF, "Jay Fighter" will be added to the list of proposed categories up for consideration.

1. It's fun!

2. It's challenging.

to compete in peace.

If you are talking about the match I think you are, on my posse (per the PM), you would have received a P the first time you shot the SG off-shoulder (as did one shooter who shot his SG from the hip), a SDQ the second, and a MDQ the third.

I would also suggest a personal appearance (complete with all modified firearms) to demo the concept at the TG Summit in San Antonio...maybe there will be something on the agenda to vote on after all.

Questions:

Are the revolver front sights simply knocked off, leaving a groove in the top of the barrel; or must they be ground completely down flush?

Are adjustable rear sights allowed as they aren't actually being used?

Can I continue to use my "sighted" revolvers if I promise to NOT use the sights?

Is a buttstock necessary on the shotgun, since it isn't utilized as such? Would a recoil pad still be allowed even if not used?

Why not go 100% and fire the rifle from the hip "Rifleman-style" as well??

If you are talking about the match I think you are, on my posse (per the PM), you would have received a P the first time you shot the SG off-shoulder (as did one shooter who shot his SG from the hip), a SDQ the second, and a MDQ the third.

That would be a "range rule" as there is no category that requires shooting the shotgun from the shoulder.

Sounds like I can remove that match from my "list" to attend someday.

:huh:

That would be a "range rule" as there is no category that requires shooting the shotgun from the shoulder.

Sounds like I can remove that match from my "list" to attend someday.

:huh:

Possibly. I discussed it with the PM (as I disagreed with the call) and he told me they would accommodate it for medical reasons. Please don't remove it from your "list to attend," as they put on a great match.

1. It's fun!

2. It's challenging.

to compete in peace.

Jay,

the purpose of the rule is to help the Spotters in their scoring.

Its about honest calls...not guesses based on doubt.

Doubts of: did the shooter fire all 10 rounds?

did the shooter hit all the targets in order?

Did the shooter have a squib?

and one more question that will pop up: Why doesn't anyone want to spot for this GF?

Its not about Who can do what with their 2 pistols at the same time. There are far to many good (great) Gunfighters in this game/sport that very few of us are surprised by their certain abilities and speed.

Best regards,

..........Widder

Not trying to be a smart ass Miss Allie but I never knew I had to shoot my shotgun from the sholder

Jay...........Hey!!!! I just got it.........Jay Fighter

I think the first step would be to make a video and post it on the wire so that we could dissect and fully examine the benefits of this new category you are championing.

...........or you could change the first name of your alias to Gun

Good luck in your quest young GunSnowden

Possibly. I discussed it with the PM (as I disagreed with the call) and he told me they would accommodate it for medical reasons. Please don't remove it from your "list to attend," as they put on a great match.

Not trying to be a smart ass Miss Allie but I never knew I had to shoot my shotgun from the sholder

See my post. Neither did I.

So... I take it that they don't allow "Outlaw"? :P Sounds like places that have a penalty for just pointing your muzzle above a berm.

I know this thread is about simultaneous shooting but I thought I'd put a plug in for Comin' At Cha, 2014....Quit all the bitter bat back and forth--- If you like to shoot the way Jay has described or near like it, come on out to Texas and shoot in the 7th annual Intercontinental Outlaw Championship of the World shot simutaneously with Comin'At'Cha, 2014. Watch Shooting USA with Wolf Bane from last year, they did a great segment on Outlaw shooting. It's not for everyone, but it might be for You !!!!!

With all match attendance down this year, ($$$$$$) then why would a club not enbrace the income?..... If theres not enough Outlaws to make the class, get smaller awards for their class ... And remember, always play by the rules. T-Bone Dooley

Banning the color red from all SASS shooting events.

Numerous scientific studies have show that the wearing of the color red by a competitor (s) has a positive effect on performance and the subsequent outcome of sporting events.

I therefore request an indefinite moratorium of the wearing, display or use of the color red by all SASS competitors. During this time a scientific research team should be contacted to study the effect of the color red on match outcomes. If said group establishes a "Red Effect" a law firm should be retained to write a clear, unbreakable rule for insertion in the Shooter's Handbook banning the color red from all events with the notable exception of Jay Fighters who are encouraged to wear Red.

These actions will ensure a more even playing field for all SASS members, especially, Jay.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 24, 2014 - insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 24, 2014 - insult

The troll is back ........

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 24, 2014 - insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 24, 2014 - insult

Is Jay Snowden related to Bisley Joe???? :ph34r::wacko:-_-

Laz

Archived