SASS Wire Forum

which 45 LC rifle has strongest action for heavy loads?

Guest Max Morgan, SASS 41265

Interesting read:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm

GG ~ :FlagAm:

When the 454's came out, I too didn't think they would hold up and early on there were some problems. Some were incorrectly head-spaced off the ejectors and grew quickly. Now days the actions are holding up well but everything else is hanging on for dear life. :lol:

Keeping the wood from splitting under recoil for one. I've found the cure for that is to glass bed every thing. I don't much care for the recoil pad on it. They are only marginally softer than the wood and the angle is just wrong. If it were a shotgun shooting arial targets it would be about right. but rifle shooting it's to pointy in the toe.

I like to change the angle and use one of the Kic-Ez or X-coil sorbothane type pads.

DSCN0868_zps5212a7e8.jpg

Even with the stock work they are still only marginally better behind it rather than in front of it. :lol:

(think 45-70 in a 6# rifle)

Howdy:

I have a .454 Casull Rossi 92 - They can give you quite a push when you fire them. Rossi also made a 92 in 460 Ruger. My bet is that a 92 can handle ANY Colt 45 load that is within spec and a great many that exceed the specs. Also, remember that the 44 WCF can and was loaded to 44 Rem Mag specs and the 92 will just gobble that stuff up.

STL Suomi

New England or H&R single shot: Classic in .45 Colt or any of the .45Colt/.410 rifle/shotgun combos.

These SB-1 actions will handle 50000 psi in .223 and can be found for under $200.

You are assuming 30-30 and 38-55 are high power cartridges. They are not. Whether it's a rifle cal or a pistol cal has nothing to do with it.

Max for 30-30 is 42,000 psi and for 38-55 it's 30,000 psi.

If you think the 94 is stronger than the current production 92 then tell my why no one has successfully chambered one in 454 Casull?

Rossi offers their 92 in 454 Casull and have since the early 2000's. These guns see pressures equal to 30-06 and 308 in the 60,000+ range.

Read post #22. It explains why the 92 can do it and the others can't.

Funny.... I once owned a Winchester '94 in 454 Casull. I remember it being one of the Miroku models, made in the late '90s, still quite some time before the Rossi '92s of the same caliber.

I dunno. I never claimed to be an expert, and I'm well aware of your prowess with the '92 so I'll not pretend to know as much as you do. I do know that my Winchester '94 was well built and shot even heavy .454 reloads without problem!!

Opinions...................................... <_<

Miroku didn't start making mdl 94 Winchesters until 2010 according to my catalogs. All mdl 94 Winchesters were made by USRA starting in 1983 thru 2006 and none were chambered in 454Casull.

Miroku didn't start making mdl 94 Winchesters until 2010 according to my catalogs. All mdl 94 Winchesters were made by USRA starting in 1983 thru 2006 and none were chambered in 454Casull.

I stand corrected. It was the manufacturer that built them for Winchester in the 1990s. I don't have the box that rifle came in any more or the paperwork that came with it. All I could remember was that it was made under contract for Winchester by an outside source. Wife bought it for me for my birthday.

I don't know how it came to be, but it was .454 Casull and It came out of a Winchester box with paperwork and it was in the original wrapping. Kina' wish I still had it, but I traded it for a new '73 several years ago and it sold the next day.

I've wondered for a while now, is it safe to shoot the "Ruger Only" 45 Colt loads in rifles? Whether it be the model 92 or anything else. I always assumed no, but the discussion here is making it sound like a Model 92 can take them.

Think about how much metal there is around the chambers in the Ruger compared to the rifles. The Ruger loads are safe in the Marlin 1894's, the Winchester 94"s and certainly the currently made 92's.

"edit; even safe in the Henry big boys because that is not a brass frame gun. It just looks like brass but it's not.

Archived