SASS Wire Forum

Anyone afraid of rattle snakes?

Ya Big Tree

What in the heck was the photographer standing on? It looked like some of those rattlers went right between his legs!

Plus, judging from the sound effects and the posture of some of those critters, those were NOT happy snakes....

Laz

How about this one from the rice field across the street from my rented house in Thailand.

Asian Cobra just over 20 feet long.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/20footcobra3_zpsc082bf51.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/20footcorbra2_zps2ecdd413.jpg

Guys in the village brought me a bit after they put it on the grill, tastes like chicken only chewy.

I did three forestry internships in the 1980s while studying in college. Year one was in my home state of NC with no real exciting thing to report. Year two was in Michigan's UP with lots of bears and no snakes. Year three was in southern coastal GA. We had to wear snake chaps and carry a pistol everyday. The eastern diamondbacks and canebrake rattlers would sit under 1-3 year old pine trees sitting up on rows. They would sound off when you walked by, scaring the snickers out of you. I worked on my fastdraw with my Ruger .32 Mag that year without knowing that one day I would be shooting cowboy action.

Yep, you can say that I am scared of them.

The ranch in Wyoming where I hunt bison each fall has a prairie rattler snake pit on top of a long limestone ridge. I've been there in October when they are denning up and they actually get entangled in big balls. The ranch owner has a picture of one snake ball that's about 30 " high. I've visited the snake pit many times after we've shot our bison and the snakes are coming into the den and they actually crawl across your boots as you're standing there. Most of these prairie rattlers are a darker green also. We've run across them while hunting on other parts of the ranch and they rarely rattle unless you're right on them, well within striking distance, but my son and I have not been bitten. I will try and take a video next month when we are there.

There are only four kind of snakes I'm afraid of:

Big ones.

Little ones.

Live ones

Dead ones.

+10 !! There are Timber Rattlers, Copperheads and Water Moccasin in these parts. Anything that looks like a rope and moves, gets a load or two of .38 shot shells.

Rattlers, cottonmouth, cobras, boomslangs... NONE of them scare me...AS LONG AS THEY ARE BEHIND GLASS IN THE ZOO! Had one buzz at me as I walked by some tall grass in a foothills parking lot one time. Couldn't see him, so he was back far enough, I took a giant step to the left (he was to my right). Another guy went a bit CLOSER and said, "Can ya see him? Can ya see him?" I said,

"You keep getting closer and you're gonna find him alright!" Same parking lot, a little later in October: saw a snake crawling slowly across the asphalt. Checked him for "tail jewelry", wasn't any. It was a bull snake. Went to my car, got some gloves (they can bite), picked him up and put him off to the side where somebody in a vehicle wouldn't try to run over him. Need bull snakes where rattlers grow. The bulls kill the buzz worms. Seem immune to poison.

I'm a very logical person. I have a hard time dealing with folks who aren't logical. I know all the logical arguments and support them fully - until I see a snake. I hate snakes. All kinds, shapes, sizes and colors. Dead or alive. Within five inches of me or five miles.

Howdy,

Just as long as I have my MkII and plenty stingers them aint got no chance.

Ever seen stingers hit a rattler?

Try it you like it.

Best

CR

There are only four kind of snakes I'm afraid of:

Big ones.

Little ones.

Live ones

Dead ones.

I'm only afraid of five kinds of snakes:

Big ones

Little ones

Live ones

Dead ones

&

Toy ones!

36 known species of rattlesnakes, 13 of them live in Arizona.

I'm moving to Prescott in four more days.

I'll find out where the best place is for you to find some buzz tails to play with.

Forty Rod,

Congrats on your move to Prescott.

If you look at my profile to the left, you'll see my location is now Marana, Arizona. The wife and I arrived in the Tucson area on Aug 5th and closed on our new home on Aug 7th.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Hey Forty Rod and Birdgun Quail, congrats to both of you for moving to the Arizona Territory! during my eight years of fulltime Motor Homing, AZ was one of our favorite states. We covered most all of it many times over. Prescott was one of our favorites. We also loved the Tucson area and spent a lot of time there too. I envy you both, but I know you will both love it! You can wear your SASS clothes every day!

Cheers, Hoss

Archived