SASS Wire Forum

SPANISH AMERICAN WAR VETERANS MEDAL

Which medal exactly? There are 3 that are specific to that conflict.

The medal is 4" long. Top section 1 1/2" eagle on shield over wreath, flag, bottom section rifle, anchor and sword over cannon linked to cross with CUBA, USA, Porto Rico, Philippine Islands. Number is stamped on reverse of eagle. B prefix

Careful Grumpy Lips, yer older than me!.........snickersnicker

TF

These are the issued medals for the Cuban conflict.

Spanish War Service Medal

Spanish Campaign Medal

Cuban Occupation Medal

It sounds like you may have a commemorative veteran's medal rather than an official one. These were common in the period between the Civil War and WWI. Some were given by veterans organizations and some were given pout by individual states, particularly national guard. Some cities even issued them. I have a pin given out by Boston for service in Mexico in 1916.

Please post or email a pic if possible.

Thanks Tom. It is a membership badge for the United Spanish War Veterans, one of several organizations that formed just after the war. They merges with Veteran Army of the Philippines in 1908 and also took in vets of the Boxer Rebellion. This one is in great shape. The organization lasted until 1992.

het7Ab.jpg

So, back to my original question. Can the number on the back be traced to it's original recipient?

TF

Doubtful. The organization no longer exists. Perhaps in some archive somewhere a member's list could be found.

Looks like the Spanish-American War equivalent of the GAR membership medal for Union veterans.

Yeah, very similar.

Archived