SASS Wire Forum

38-40 for long range <200yds

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

So I'm thinking I need a 38-55 for long range <200yds started looking around. What I found was a really nice original Winchester in 38-40 (38WCF). It has a 28" octagon barrel and single set trigger, plus what looks to be a Lyman sight. Bore is pretty good, no pits, but not a ton of rifling left. It's a cool old gun and is calling my name, but not sure it'll do what I want and I really don't want to start shooting black powder, but still. Any guidance from those in the know? The price is not outrageous, but about double what I could get a Browning or Winchester HIghwall for.

But for cowboy rifle caliber long range, the 38-40 doesn't qualify. ...

No

cartridge chambered for use in any SASS approved main match revolver or rifle may be

used in the “Rifle Caliber” competition, except the .56-50. Thus, .30-30 (.30 WCF), .38-55

Marlin & Ballard, .43 Spanish, or .45-70 Government cartridges are legal, while a .375

Winchester, .444 Marlin, .32-20, or .44-40 are not legal....

shooters handbook page 18

It would work bob. You've seen what i shoot main match as far as ammo. No where near wart hog loads. Those are the same rounds i use in pistol cal rifle long range.. Ive shot out to 300 with those rounds

Go for it, B C Bob. The Redwood Regulators long range matches have various events and include pistol caliber lever action rifles shooting out to 200 yards. Side matches at Gunsmoke, North Star Showdown, Peace in the Valley & others have pistol caliber long range categories, too. Talk to Ramrod Joe about cool, old long range Winchesters.

Zeb Gray

I shoot original .38-40 for my main match rifles and occasional long-range pistol-caliber (100 yard) work.

The .38-40 factory load is 1200 fps with a 180-grain bullet. BC is around .20 so zeroing at 100 yards puts the bullet at 50" low at 300 yards.

The .38-55 shoots a 255 grain bullet at around 1500 fps. BC is around .28 so a rifle zeroed at 100 yards will put a bullet only 20" low at 300 yards. Big difference. That slower and lighter bullet will blow around in the wind more than the 255-grainer.

The .38-55 is a rifle cartridge. The .38-40 can be made to hit a target at 300 yards but the trajectory is a rainbow and the distance must be known. Getting the range off by 50 yards will make a 18" difference in the drop in the .38-40 but only 6" difference in the .38-55.

(drop based on Shooting APP on my phone, mileage may vary)

If nits a calling answer shoot it and see how far out it and you can hit accuractly. If it works great if not use it for main match or put her on the wall if you want it kept original otherwise rebarrel it or have the bore lined

If it's a 73 then contact me if your not happy with it maybe we can work something out.

Archived