SASS Wire Forum

GUNS OF AUGUST!

Samuel "Doc" Eells

I have been shooting GOA since 2002 and I have to say this is the best yet! Every aspect of the match was great! To start was the friendly registration. The embroidered brass bags were pure class! Stages: FAST AND FURIOUS! Food: Awesome. Social life in the campground was second to none, Entertainment: If you have never seen Fredrick Jackson Turner...YOU MUST! Kickin it with Misty and Amber from SASS HQ was great. A truly enjoyable duo they are! To all the Big Irons I say thank you so much. The hard work and dedication to cowboy shooting in Middletown, Ohio was so very evident!

You're right on Doc. This was the best yet of a long line of great GOA's. I ditto every element to which you speak. I wish to add you sir to that list. Inviiting me to stay in your trailer, treating me like a guest in a hotel, and serving me food and drink at every whim was just too much. I will always have special memories of 2014 GOA from the shoot, the celebrity guests and your hospitality.

I did find your practice of slipping into the room and hitting me on the head with your pistol every hour or so throughout the night just to ask "Are you doin' okay Max!" to be a little over kill. :D

Thanks once again to the Middletown Big Irons crew for making A-1, top notch, superb, and excellent a matter of routine.

Thanks once again to Misty and Amber for their efforts, dedication, and commitment to taking SASS to an even higher level. The Wild Bunch is on the right track and many of you "only on the wire" shooters should keep that in mind before complaining 'bout things to which you should experience instead of "mouthing" about on your keyboards. I'm here to tell ya I've seen the new administration for several years at the Ranch, on the Range, and in the club house. And now I've experienced them at the loading and unloading tables, with a stick in their hands, under my timer, in the camp ground, and ate the food to which they served me. The future of SASS is alive, well, and exciting.

Most of all, thanks to all the shooters that create the fun that keeps us young.

Doc I look forward to you staying in the Gunfighter category instead of running back to duelist. Ah'd be jes pickled pink to face off with you in Indiana! …i'll bring a fresh bottle of Crown. Once Indiana is behind us, ah'm offerin' ya an invite fer a free ride to Floriday to hunt down that skunk Shy Annie which dun cut & run. Heck we could mebbe pick up Slater & Widder on the way and really ruin 'ole Shy Annie's day! Gotta be quiet though. He gits wind of this and he'll turn into a Prairie Fairy and fly away.

I find my enthusiasm being rekindled!

Heee Haaa Doc ..You are so right it was a AWESOME one.. :D Meals were fantastic. so much FOOD.. :o I'd like to THANK Deadwoody Stan and the WHOLE Big Iron Crew..Great Match.. :lol: I'll be there Next year.. ^_^

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I've got to say, the gunfighter duel was the most fun!!!! of course Lassiter whoops us all, but wider as a Sr gf was 20, Doc 22, me 23 and Boaz in 24, it was a free for all!!!

I would call this a "sucker" match, you read the stages ahead of time, and it seemed all to easy, but it lulled you into a sense of confidence, which of course bites you in the hieny every time. Things such as, midway thru a pistol run you say to yourself, "I'm flying," yup, right into a P.

the match ran like a well tuned engine, just what yude expect when Blackjack Beeson has a hand in it.

Everything was great!

the campground time is among the best time spent too.

Thanks to all who had a hand in GOA!!!

CPBC

Thanks once again to Misty and Amber for their efforts, dedication, and commitment to taking SASS to an even higher level. The Wild Bunch is on the right track and many of you "only on the wire" shooters should keep that in mind before complaining 'bout things to which you should experience instead of "mouthing" about on your keyboards. I'm here to tell ya I've seen the new administration for several years at the Ranch, on the Range, and in the club house. And now I've experienced them at the loading and unloading tables, with a stick in their hands, under my timer, in the camp ground, and ate the food to which they served me. The future of SASS is alive, well, and exciting.

I agree with this about the wire. It is in no way representative of what Cowboy Shooting is all about. These folks that do not shoot, or don't anymore, have no idea about what we are today. So much of it does not, in any way, represent the active shooters of SASS. Guns of August is proof of that! The excitement and energy of friendships, both old and new, were alive and well in Middletown, Ohio. I too echo your sentiments regarding the very positive and up beat attitude and determination of our CEO to take SASS to a new level. She is so on the right track. Oh, the paper chronicle, hey, I miss it too, but not as much as I would miss SASS!!!!!! OK, off the high horse.

Thanks Mingo and Max. Max, I will not bang you on the bean every hour in the future! I will limit it to once a night. As for the food, had to fix breakfast anyway, it was just my pleasure to fix it for you as well. Run back to Duelist......Nope, want to butt heads with you, Boaz, Shy Annie the prairie fairy Cuddlepepper and Slater some more! Want us all on our "A" game! I hope that your rekindled enthusiasm will bring you around more frequently....at least as the grandkids will allow!!!!!

OH! I almost forgot,

Y'all pack up in Jan and head for The Seige at St Augustine and we'll have a re-match!!! We'll even git Preacherman in the act!

Call me all the names you want, I noze yur jus tryun to make me seem less imtiminating!!!

cpbc

yep...I think the best goa that I have gotten to attend...Great seeing old and making more new friends.....(that's the best part of this game!) Already looking forward to next years match.

Reno and I would like to add our thanks to all of the other comments for a great match! A lot of work went into it, especially the improvements to the range since last year. This is one of the friendliest matches we have been to and that makes you look forward to returning for the next one.

A HUGE thank you to all that contributed to make it so great including Black Jack Beeson, C.J. and Not So Quick Nick, who we had fun shooting with on posse 1. Also, every time I looked around Lassiter was flying by on his way to take care of whatever needed his attention next, PLUS managed to shoot a really good match while doing so.

We were fortunate enough to have Frisco Red as our Posse Marshall. He is an excellent leader and a pretty darn good shooter too. Getting to watch Lead Ringer and Missouri Lefty among others in our group was sure a lot of fun. Really hate what happened to Missouri Lefty and Missouri Traveler, but they both handled their respective situations like the classy people they are. Great examples for the rest of us.

We look forward to going back next year.

GOA was (is) a great match. REALLY put together for the shooter in mind.

If any of you Pards out there in Dream Land are planning on becoming a GF in the near future, just let me say that the class of GF in SASS is as good and competitive as any.

The top 5 GFer's are JEDI, representing atleast 3 different states.

And 3 of them finished 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. WOW!

It really don't get any better than this.

CONGRATS to DOC Eells for his 1st place GF win amongst some of the stiffest competition.

And a SALUTE to Shy Annie for having the guts to go for GF and not SGF. That was a piece of strategy that really paid off for him this year. ;)

Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

..........Widder

GOA was (is) a great match. REALLY put together for the shooter in mind.

If any of you Pards out there in Dream Land are planning on becoming a GF in the near future, just let me say that the class of GF in SASS is as good and competitive as any.

The top 5 GFer's are JEDI

And 3 of them finished 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. WOW!

It really don't get any better than this.

CONGRATS to DOC Eells for his 1st place GF win amongst some of the stiffest competition.

And a SALUTE to Shy Annie for having the guts to go for GF and not SGF. That was a piece of strategy that really paid off for him this year. ;)

Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

..........Widder

Don't forget that Lassiter was in the top 5....least that's how I remember it.

Don't forget that Lassiter was in the top 5....least that's how I remember it.

Howdy KK,

I was only making reference to the GF'ers, not the SrGFer's.

But you are correct as to his final ranking because in OVERALL, Lassiter blasted and blazed his way into the top 5.

He was nothing but BORG this weekend on every stage. Really something special to watch.

..........Widder

Word has traveled to the South West about this being a great match ! From what I hear the weather was the best its been in several years. Lots of food 😷 and targets that where big and close. Congratulations to all the Winners and to those that made it possible! Hells Comin 👹

Word has traveled to the South West about this being a great match ! From what I hear the weather was the best its been in several years. Lots of food and targets that where big and close. Congratulations to all the Winners and to those that made it possible! Hells Comin

AND........... I got to meet MISTY..... :wub: and Amber Oakley..... :wub:

Actually, we were on the same Posse for the whole weekend.

..........Widder

Hey KK,

Doc's definition of a train wreck is when he runs a 20 second stage......... :) :)

..........Widder

Well now not exactly! My train wreck was 3...yes three jacked out rifle rounds and only room for 2 reloads on the belt and then a shotgun make up. Raw time was 25 but with the 3rd jacked out round.......30.21. Train wreck by anybody's definition! But hey, I can have more fun wreckin a locomotive than most folks!

Word has traveled to the South West about this being a great match ! From what I hear the weather was the best its been in several years. Lots of food 😷 and targets that where big and close. Congratulations to all the Winners and to those that made it possible! Hells Comin 👹

It was a great match every stage could have been run left or right! I don't think I've seen that before?

Pistol was close. Rifle and shot gun average distances.

Just a great match to shoot! Enjoyed all the folks also.

Congrats to Deuce and Sage Chick!! And all the other great shooters:)

Regards,

Ringer

Thanks to all that came you guys and gals make all the work worth it. Hope all had a good time.

Thanks Deadwood Stan

Sure would have liked to have stayed around and shot the match....but most of all I missed messin with you like always. Who won the cookie contest?

KK

Archived