SASS Wire Forum

Soldiers Kits

Subdeacon Joe

I wish they'd all been laid out the same. That one comment, "Each one has a spoon". I hadn't noticed eating gear. But if, in each picture, the eating gear had been HERE in the picture, and the toilet gear HERE, and the underclothing HERE, it would make it easier to flip back and forth, comparing how things have changed.

I noticed the 20th Century kits had a lot more items, although many items probably weighed less than their earlier counterparts.

Like a product manager at the defense supplier where I used to work liked to say, "We load down our troops with 200 pounds of lightweight gear."

I noticed the 20th Century kits had a lot more items, although many items probably weighed less than their earlier counterparts.

Like a product manager at the defense supplier where I used to work liked to say, "We load down our troops with 200 pounds of lightweight gear."

That's funny, and true.

Once upon a time I decided to see what I weighed with everything I thought was necessary to carry.

At the time, I was 220 in uniform and boots, with a pistol. Added vest and the things on the vest, rifle, and helmet, and it came to 270. Added my pack that contained more ammo, advanced trauma kit, some food, water and water purification, signalling devices, sniffle gear, long range radio antenna and spare batteries, etc... and it all came to 315. That was a 2-3 day kit. Guys going out for a week or more would have another 20 pounds, at least.

There was an army manual that said a "combat equipped soldier" should weigh 250, and while I was personally a little heavier than some of the other guys, we all carried about the same kit. I doubt very many soldiers were under 250, unless you were counting them with no pack.

Notice the decrease in edged weapons as time progresses. Guess we are getting more civilized in our methods for killing each other.

Notice the decrease in edged weapons as time progresses. Guess we are getting more civilized in our methods for killing each other.

Less reliance on muscle power and close fighting skills. Why place yourself in arms reach of the foe if you can avoid it?

The Army does not even do bayonet training anymore. :angry:

Does a Predator drone even have a bayonet mount?

The Army doesn't fly Predators. The Air Force does. That's why they can double as cappuccino machines while in the hangar. ;)

Yep. Sure does. We hang a laser/TV guided munition from it. Very ...... Effective :-)

I don't think that counts as an edged weapon though. That's a big expensive bullet.

Does a Predator drone even have a bayonet mount?

Ahem:

Recently, a Marine Corps Harrier Squadron was invited to attend the annual Air Force Red Flag exercised at Nellis Air Force Base, NV. This is one of the USAF's big exerciseslb_icon1.png where they test Combined Arms employment of tactical air assets. The USAF F-15 pilots showed up on the ramp with dozens of rear echelon airman types and tons of equipment such as Ground Power Units, Accessory Power Units, Hummers, Trucks, Air Conditioners, etc. The Marines appeared ready to operate in a combat environment and showed up with only their Harriers. The Air Force commander commented to the Marine commander: "Where is all your support stuff? Geezz, you guys really are just Grunts that know how to fly."

Not wanting to disappoint the Air Forceicon1.png commander, the Marine commander got an idea of his own to carry on the comment. He talked to his First Sergeant and later that night, the First Sergeant had his Marines make up bayonet studs on hose clamps. You see, there is a Pitot tube sticking out of the nose of a Harrier. In the late hours of darkness, the First Sergeant had the clamp with the bayonet stud tightened onto the Pitot tubes of each Harrier.

The next morning, the Air Force pilots fell out on the ramp in front of their F-15s. The Marine pilots fell out on the other side of the ramp in front of their Harriers. Each Marine pilot had on his deuce gear with a bayonet in the scabbard. The USAF commander ordered his pilots to "man your planes." The USAF ground crews by the dozens scrambled to their trucks, APU's, GPU's, etc. and the pilots ran to their planes. The Marine commander ordered his Marines to "Fix Bayonets." Each pilot ran to the front of their Harrier and fixed his bayonet on the stud attached to the Pitot tube. The Marine commander then ordered "CHARGE" and the Marines jumped in their Harriers, dusted airborne, and flew off. The Marine commander turned to the USAF commander and said; "Now that is what we Marines consider Close Ground Support."

Take it with a large grain of salt. ;)

That's funny, and true.

Once upon a time I decided to see what I weighed with everything I thought was necessary to carry.

At the time, I was 220 in uniform and boots, with a pistol. Added vest and the things on the vest, rifle, and helmet, and it came to 270. Added my pack that contained more ammo, advanced trauma kit, some food, water and water purification, signalling devices, sniffle gear, long range radio antenna and spare batteries, etc... and it all came to 315. That was a 2-3 day kit. Guys going out for a week or more would have another 20 pounds, at least.

There was an army manual that said a "combat equipped soldier" should weigh 250, and while I was personally a little heavier than some of the other guys, we all carried about the same kit. I doubt very many soldiers were under 250, unless you were counting them with no pack.

While at Ft. Hood getting ready for my last deployment, we came in from training one day and I weighed myself. First with equipment: K-Pot, vest with plates, M-4, seven loaded 30 rd. mags, camelbak w/ water, one MRE and CLS bag (NOT my full size aid bag). Then in just uniform and boots. The difference was 81 pounds.

I liked the mace with the WWI gear.

I liked that too! Better than an e-tool!

Less reliance on muscle power and close fighting skills. Why place yourself in arms reach of the foe if you can avoid it?

The Army does not even do bayonet training anymore. :angry:

But they still do hand-to-hand "combatives."

Because sometimes you can't. ;)

What is the spirit of the bayonet? ;)

KILL, KILL, KILL!

(and he started jumping up and down with me, yelling KILL! KILL! Then the sergeant walked in and said "You're our boy.")

:lol::lol::P:D

From the "Group W bench!" ^_^

They still issue bayonets, Just don't have a training program. So they're on their own as to that thrust, parry, buttstroke, slash stuff. :unsure:

No bayonets but are personal or issued fighting knives still a component of combat gear?

I don't know if they are but I bought all 3 of my sons Kabars when they graduated Marine Corp boot camp

I don't know if they are but I bought all 3 of my sons Kabars when they graduated Marine Corp boot camp

I'm talking Army training doctrine. Hopefully the corps still does bayonet training.

I'm talking Army training doctrine. Hopefully the corps still does bayonet training.

I was just making a statement Bob. That was the graduation present for graduating Boot camp

Archived