SASS Wire Forum

Miroku Winchester Lifter

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

According to the Pioneer Gunworks website, the brass lifter in the new Miroku Winchester has to be replaced with an aluminum lifter to be able to work with a short stroke kit.

Does anyone know specifically why the brass lifter won't work with the SS kit?

Can it be modified to work by machining?

A call to Joe will let him tell you why he put that warning message on the website.....

And, of course, he's a master machinist. If it could be remachined, I would imagine he would be offering to do that.

Good luck, GJ

The Miroku lifter is different it has a ball on the end like a hip joint. So the carrier slot is different also to accommodate that. The Pioneer is like the Uberti so you have to use both their lifter and carrier. I'm sure you will have to use different springs for the carrier/Lever too because the stock ones won't work on a that type lifter.

You could build the lifter up with bar stock but you have to add too the base to make it longer......if you are familiar with that process.

I ordered the aluminum carrier with the SS kit I ordered from Pioneer. It was several thousandths too long to fit into the Uberti carrier area. I called Joe and explained my problem. He told me they'd sent the Miroku/Winchester carrier in error. We traded carriers and the Pioneer aluminum carrier fit like the original Uberti brass carrier. There may be some other differences, but other than being too long, the Miroku looked exactly like the Uberti carrier.

Thanks for replying to my questions about the Miroku lifter.

I was working on one of the Miroku's for a friend but he doesn't have the original parts. It has the Pioneer lifter arm, links and aluminum lifter already installed. (Not by Pioneer.) The lever and lifter springs appear to be Miroku as they are different than the Uberti.

My friend doesn't like the aluminum lifter and was thinking about ordering a new Miroku brass lifter. But, I've never seen a Miroku lifter so I don't know the differences.

Based on the Aluminum lifter in the gun the differences appear to be:

1. Length for Miroku is about .010" longer

2. Slot for lifter arm is about .010" smaller

3. The distance between the magazine tube centerline and barrel centerline appears greater in the Miruku by about .020" making the lifter travel that much greater.

4. To compensate for (3), the lifter arm must be adjusted to let the lifter come up about .020" higher, leaving a gap between the base and the bottom of the rifle.

I'm not any kind of expert on these rifles but was hoping that someone knew the specifics. If the Miruku lifter can't be modified without building it up, it certainly makes it much harder. I've got lots of time being retired, I was viewing this as a challenge, not a job!

Thanks for replying to my questions about the Miroku lifter.

I was working on one of the Miroku's for a friend but he doesn't have the original parts. It has the Pioneer lifter arm, links and aluminum lifter already installed. (Not by Pioneer.) The lever and lifter springs appear to be Miroku as they are different than the Uberti.

My friend doesn't like the aluminum lifter and was thinking about ordering a new Miroku brass lifter.

A new Miroku part, if you can even get it at this point in time, probably does not solve the problem.

Maybe you could talk (talk, with your wallet) Joe into machining one for you out of brass rather than his standard aluminum production?

Good luck, GJ

Or find someone who has replaced theirs with an aluminum carrier or wants to and swap with them either carriers or gold dust. Try the classifieds here.

Thanks Joe, I have the equipment (milling machine) to make a new lifter if I have to. It's not like I just have to have the rifle working immediately. Part of my enjoyment of this sport is working on the guns and making parts that I need. Like I said, my time is free and I have lots of it (I hope.)

Archived