SASS Wire Forum

Powder for .32 S&W Long

I had been loading 100gr bullets in .32 S&W Long cases for my Rugers using VV N310 up till now. I was using the max charge listed and the resulting load worked great, but I'm running out of N310.

Just wondering what powders others have been using for heavier bullets and loads in this caliber. I have Bullseye, VVN320 and quite a few others on hand and one pound goes a LONG way in this caliber.

Any powder suggestions? Thanks for any help.

How about anything you can find that goes bang, because there isn't much of anything out there to buy!

Ike

The funny thing is that after about 35 years of reloading I have accumulated an amazing variety of powders. While I may only have a pound or two of many of them, one pound might be good for 3,000 rounds of .32 S&W Long.

BLACK POWDER!!! :P You may not see the humor in that, but one thing's for sure - there's no shortage of black powder. Also, if you don't like the mess, APP has a sale going on!

Yes, but the cartridges you load will not be legal in a black powder category since they will not produce the required amount of smoke. Load and shoot them anyway in a smokeless category just for fun.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook list loads for 100 grain bullets for the following powders: N310, Bullseye, Titegroup, 700X, Green Dot, 231, Zip, Unique and AA#5.

Unique. ;)

LG

Works for just about every thing .

+1

Personally I use Bullseye in my 32's, both the 32 longs and the 32 H&R Mag's. Any fast powder will work fine, such as Bullseye, W-231, HP-38, Accurate #2, Nitro 100, Red Dot, Promo, Clay's, Clay Dot, Titegroup, ETC.

Slightly Slower powders like Unique, Green Dot, Universal, International, 20/28, ECT, work well also. However, the faster powders work best IMHO.

1 Lb. of Bullseye will load over 3000 rounds of 32 ammo.

RBK

Use the N320 you have on hand. According to the VihtaVuori reloading data book that I have if you use .2 grains more 320 than 310 with 115 grain bullet at .313 diameter there is minimal difference in fps. PM me if you want further details.

Marshal Stone

Archived