SASS Wire Forum

Texan shoots steel in California

Well you see I had this national conference to attend in San Diego CA so instead of just flying in for the conference and then flying back home I decided to shoot a CAS match while there. I want to thank several folks: Yul Lose for replying to my post back in March about where to shoot, Allie Mo for putting me in touch with Alpine Lil who lives in the area and to Alpine Lil and Lighting Will for being gracious hosts during my stay.

The weekend before I drove about 20 hours over 2 days from Fort Worth to San Diego. Attended the conference from Monday through noon on Wednesday then visited the San Diego Air & Space Museum and walked around Balboa Park. Thursday I spent about 5 hours touring the USS Midway which is a floating Museum in the San Diego Harbor. Spent Thursday night and Friday night at Apline Lil and Lighting Will house and Friday they took me to Old Town and then a driving tour around town.

Saturday July 26th we went to shoot at the Cajon Cowboys up in the hills near Devore. This is a dedicated cowboy range with many permanant props and stages. I want to thank JJ Johnson and all the Cowboys of that club for a great time. We shot 2 stages at each of four stages they used that day for a total of 8 stages. There were 4 large posses, one on each of the 4 stages used. After that match it appeared most people left and that's what I did gong to eat a late lunch with Lil and Will and 4 others from the match. I shot a good match with only 1 miss on two different stages and used my 1887 shotgun all the way through the main match for the second time after getting it back from Lasiter. Got to learn transitions all over again. ;-) I finished 1st in Classic Cowboy but was the only one and I finished 32nd out of 63 who shot the match.

This is a link to a slide show of photos I took at the match http://s253.photobucket.com/user/cowtownscout/slideshow/Cajon%20Cowboys%202014

Sunday July 27th I went to shoot at The Cowboys near Norco. They are located within a shooting range used for lots of different types shooting that runs concurrent with the CAS match. There are many bays at the range and 7 are used each month by The Cowboys. Most of the permanet props are at the loading and unloading tables but it appears there are storefront props on skids that are probably pulled into the bays for big matches. I want to thank Cpt. Jake Cutter and all the cowboys of that club for a great time. We shot 7 stages, one on each of the 7 stages used. There were 6 posses and ours was really too small which made it a lot of work for everyone. Lunch was available after the match from a vendor at the range and I stayed for the annoucement of placements. Shot the 1887 again, still working on the trasition changes. I did not shoot a very good match and had many misses and a procedual (haven't had one of those in long time). However I had a GREAT time anyway. Scores were not posted online until today. I finished 3rd Classic Cowboy with 3 in the class and I finished 37th out of 70 who shot that match.

This is a link to a slide show of photos I took at the match http://s253.photobucket.com/user/cowtownscout/slideshow/The%20Cowboys%202014

I stayed overnight and started out fresh Monday morning and drove about 20 hours over two days to get back home. Went back to work on Wednesday July 30th. This Texan truley enjoyed my time in California and I have now shot CAS in 10 states. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Minnesota and North Carolina. Wonder what State I'll get to shoot in next????

Scout

Sorry I missed you, CTS, I was at the Cowboys match and would have liked to of met you. Maybe next time. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and that you got home safely.

Maybe you can refine your story and make an cowboy chronical article out of it insert your photos here and there and comment on them also. Make it a truly visual article. You have done haft the work now tweak it some a spin a yarn about a little Texas buy who goes to the birthplace of sass and shot.

I think the editor would be happy to get something like that.

Looks like you had a great time, Scout. I hope them Californians realize they got to meet one fine cowpoke!

Goody,

Yes, we do! He was a hoot to shoot with and another example of a true Texas gentleman. I'll shoot with him anywhere, anytime.

Scout,

Thanks for your post. Glad you had a good time!

Sorry I missed you, CTS, I was at the Cowboys match and would have liked to of met you. Maybe next time. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and that you got home safely.

It would have been great to meet you also. Cpt. Jake Cutter did introduce me during the opening meeting, you should have caught me before we all went off the shoot. Like you said maybe next time.

Goody,Yes, we do! He was a hoot to shoot with and another example of a true Texas gentleman. I'll shoot with him anywhere, anytime.Scout,Thanks for your post. Glad you had a good time!

It was a pleasure to meet and shoot with you and your grandson. Billy Boots said your a good friend and he always enjoys seeing you and your family at EOT and/or WR. Maybe we will cross paths again at one of those big shoots.

Hello my dear friend. Thanks for sharing your trip with pictures and words. Hope to see ya soon, maybe at the Texican Rangers? Good luck Classic Cowboy.

Ghost

It's always great to visit other clubs, venues and shoot with other clubs & folks. It gives one a perspective that might differ from "your" norm, and re-enforces the fact that this a great sport with great folks participating. Good write-up!

Archived