SASS Wire Forum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On that note though, I'll never understand why every bolt on my American pickup is metric...

Probably so they can use the same hardware that they use on vehicles built for export. It's cheaper to buy 20 million metric screws than 12 million SAE and 8 million metric.

For a while there I was finding both on the same car. I had one car that used metric hardware to mount the front brake calipers and SAE hardware under the hood.

Actually the automotive industry went to metric when the higher ups of our country felt we should change to the metric system to be the same as the rest of the world. Many manufacturers did not change as it woulod have been too costly for them. But the auto industry did because the government talked em into it and helped finance some of it.

Actually the automotive industry went to metric when the higher ups of our country felt we should change to the metric system to be the same as the rest of the world. Many manufacturers did not change as it woulod have been too costly for them. But the auto industry did because the government talked em into it and helped finance some of it.

that would be good old Jimmy Carter who tried putting us on metric

Good Old Jimmie Carter

Ha!

Two outta three is all you get.

well you know Badger I was trying to be nice ;):P:D

HERE BADGER---THIS WILL MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER:

Palouse Falls, WA I just Found out they grow lentils in the nearby farmland :o

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Palouse+Falls&FORM=HDRSC2

Whitworth!

The SAE system should have died years ago, It's long past time to join the rest of the world and go metric

Because the metric system makes sense!

The metric system was devised by Napoleon and actually makes neither more or less sense than any other system!! The USS/SAE system is just as good as any and, (if you understand fractions) is simple and easy to understand!

All any of this does is make tool and fastener manufacturers richer!!

The basis for the metric system is the meter. It was arbitrarily chosen by Napoleon as the distance from a point in Paris to the geographic north pole. It was not accurate at the time because no one had ever been to the north pole and the measurement was estimated by French scientists.

The Anglo system was just as inaccurate being based originally on the length of the foot of the king of England and the inch being the distance from the first knuckle to the second knuckle of the king's right index finger. At some point the foot was standardized and an inch became one 12th of a foot.

Noah's ark was built by the measure of the cubit. The cubit was the distance from the elbow to the fingertips of the builder.

Not sure about the measurements of the pyramids.... :rolleyes:<_<

The metric system was devised by Napoleon and actually makes neither more or less sense than any other system!! The USS/SAE system is just as good as any and, (if you understand fractions) is simple and easy to understand!

All any of this does is make tool and fastener manufacturers richer!!

The basis for the metric system is the meter. It was arbitrarily chosen by Napoleon as the distance from a point in Paris to the geographic north pole. It was not accurate at the time because no one had ever been to the north pole and the measurement was estimated by French scientists.

The Anglo system was just as inaccurate being based originally on the length of the foot of the king of England and the inch being the distance from the first knuckle to the second knuckle of the king's right index finger. At some point the foot was standardized and an inch became one 12th of a foot.

Noah's ark was built by the measure of the cubit. The cubit was the distance from the elbow to the fingertips of the builder.

Not sure about the measurements of the pyramids.... :rolleyes:<_<

+ 1 ;)

Ya'll said it for me. Different math is all it is and they both work!

Rye

In a black powder canon forum I post to from time to time one of the guys from Europe asked about the English and American fascination with 1/4s, 1/16s, 1/64s, etc. I posted that he should take a 1 meter bar and divide it into tenths or hundredths using dividers or a compass and a straight edge.

The system was devised before Napoleon came to power, and had been the subject of discussion well before his time. It was originally estimated to be a portion of the distance from the equator to the north pole, passing along the meridian through Paris. According to what I have read, the estimation, based on survey work, was surprisingly close to the modern standard, which is based upon the distance light travels through a vacuum in a given period of time.

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/meter.html

In a black powder canon forum I post to from time to time one of the guys from Europe asked about the English and American fascination with 1/4s, 1/16s, 1/64s, etc. I posted that he should take a 1 meter bar and divide it into tenths or hundredths using dividers or a compass and a straight edge.

mils anyone?

Call me old-fashioned, or what have you, but despite the fact that I understand the rationale behind the metric system, I am far more comfortable with SAE, and find myself grumbling when I grab a 1/2 wrench and find out it is a metric size instead.

At first, yes. Since then they've tried very hard to define metric (technically SI, abbreviated from Le Système international d'unités (bloody French can't spell)) units in terms of physical constants that can be reproduced by anyone willing to invest in the technical apparatus. For example, now the meter is defined as the distance light travels in 1/299,792,458th of a second through a vacuum. So now nobody has to measure some gouty king's foot to check the accuracy of their yardstick any more.

At first, yes. Since then they've tried very hard to define metric (technically SI, abbreviated from Le Système international d'unités (bloody French can't spell)) units in terms of physical constants that can be reproduced by anyone willing to invest in the technical apparatus. For example, now the meter is defined as the distance light travels in 1/299,792,458th of a second through a vacuum. So now nobody has to measure some gouty king's foot to check the accuracy of their yardstick any more.

Yeah! They did the same thing with the foot and yard about fifty years ago. Something about the wave length of an orange beam of light through argon gas or the like. seems like a lot of work just to eliminate a yardstick to me!! :rolleyes::wacko::lol:

Yeah...let me get my stopwatch and pica pole to measure that.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Now! How can I use this technical information to measure my cast, with my fly rod, while standing knee deep in fast moving water?

The king can wash his own feet.

Here ya go, Badger. :)

Gave the Kid a set of these in his Easter basket.

He's been plumb tickled with 'em. ^_^

Fits SAE and Metric!

Confusion between the two systems can be VERY COSTLY. In the early 1990's NASA "went" to metric. But when one of the first Mars probes was built, the contractor built it to English units, and nobody had enough experience in writing the Contract Technical Requirements and Statement of Work to ask, "Hey, JPL, what are we working to? Metric or English?" Unfortunately, the contractor built to English, and JPL was figuring the guidance in meters per second, and so the spacecraft made a highspeed dive into the Martian soil! Why did this mistake happen? Because the contractor had laid off all the experienced Contract Technical Requirements people, including a certain dinosaur-riding Duelist shooter, about two years before. <_<

Confusion between the two systems can be VERY COSTLY. In the early 1990's NASA "went" to metric. But when one of the first Mars probes was built, the contractor built it to English units, and nobody had enough experience in writing the Contract Technical Requirements and Statement of Work to ask, "Hey, JPL, what are we working to? Metric or English?" Unfortunately, the contractor built to English, and JPL was figuring the guidance in meters per second, and so the spacecraft made a highspeed dive into the Martian soil! Why did this mistake happen? Because the contractor had laid off all the experienced Contract Technical Requirements people, including a certain dinosaur-riding Duelist shooter, about two years before. <_<

Heck, even units can cause problems. One of the early Shuttle flights was supposed to test...I think it was some sort of camera or telescope, drawing on long memory here.....anyhow, for the orientation the numbers were in inches in the plans (so many millions of inches from X), but entered into the programming as either feet or miles. Anyway, because of the different units, it didn't take the photo of what it was supposed to.

Archived