SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Side Matches

Two-Bit Charlie

I just received a beautiful Model 1862 Peabody Target Rifle, made by the Providence Tool Co. in Plymouth, WI. It's an outside hammered Black Powder Cartridge Rifle. Mine is chambered in an original chambering, 45-100 Peabody. They also come in the more common Black Powder chamberings, like 45-70, 40-65, 38-55. My question is, is it legal for SASS side matches. It has been sanctioned by both the NRA and NCOWS for there shooting programs.

Two-Bit Charlie

Hi Two-Bit Charlie!

I can't figure any reason for which you could not shoot your 45/100 Peabody in a LR side match. Gun is as historical as an Italian replica. The caliber might be a bit questionable as it's the development of the 44/ 90, but we shoot 38sp in both pistols & rifles and 45LC in rifle for main matches...which were not at all used during the XIXth century! :unsure::wacko:

I think it might be a Match Director decision. Just ask when registering.

Should you fly over to the French Riviera in september (Ambush at Greenwood Creek), as Match Director, I'll make both rifle & caliber legal for our 200 yard side match. :)

Jef

In my interpretation of the rules, I'd say yes, except for "Buffalo Single Shot." But, I'd have to say that your question is really one to be addressed to the specific Match Director.

Buffalo Single Shot competition has further restrictions requiring original or replica rifles to be a

design of US manufacture.

The Peabody IS an American action. built in the US Peabody who was from MA. His action is often caqlled the peabody-Martini, but it is an American as the Sharps. his 1862 (his original action) was patented in he US in 1862. His LATER work is associated with Martini.

The rifle should ABSOLUTELY be legal in SASS Long Range single shot competitions.

The Peabody IS an American action. built in the US Peabody who was from MA. His action is often caqlled the peabody-Martini, but it is an American as the Sharps. his 1862 (his original action) was patented in he US in 1862. His LATER work is associated with Martini.

The rifle should ABSOLUTELY be legal in SASS Long Range single shot competitions.

I see nothing in the LR side match regs that would preclude its use in either single-shot rifle caliber or Buffalo Single Shot categories.

REF: SHB pp. 17-19

I'm setting here in psychic pain just thinking about shooting a 45-100.

Yes, the Peabody was designed and built in America, Providence, Maryland to be exact. Now it's being

built in Plymouth, WI. The design was taken, without compensation, and developed into the

Martini Henry. The 45-100 Peabody was originally the 44-100 Peabody. Back in the day Peabody used the bore diameter instead of the more common use today of using the grove diameter. Bore diameter, 44-100, grove diameter, 45-100. The current manufacture thought there would be less confusion now with using

the grove diameter.

I feel no difference in recoil between it and a 45-70. At this point in time I'm using 92 grains of

the black stuff (I won't list anymore of the load). It's fun too shoot.

Archived