SASS Wire Forum

Legalizing dope creates problems

Officials cite marijuana as reason for rise in Denver homeless

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/26/officials-cite-marijuana-as-reason-for-rise-in-denver-homeless/

GG

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now there you go.

"I ain't got no money to put a roof over my head, so I came to Colorado to buy legal reefer."

I bet some of them are homeless 'cause their Mama and Daddy kicked 'em out, too. "Tough love, you pot-head. Get the hell out of here."

Ya don't have any money and ya head to Denver to get that Rocky Mountain High. Then you find out that the legal stuff costs about $400/oz.

Dude! What a buzz kill.

Well they won't be hanging around here. Our county doesn't allow pot shops.

Naw man, they thought everybody would be mellow and smart and super creative and the tax money would fix everything and we'd all sit around plaing guitars and singing kumbaya.

Oy. :rolleyes:

Without dope how do you finish balsa wood airplanes?

(the below photo is not mine, I just used it as an example)

pa18rb1k.jpg

How do they ski? How do they connect plumbing pipes?

Without dope how do you finish balsa wood airplanes?

(the below photo is not mine, I just used it as an example)

pa18rb1k.jpg

I know what you are getting at, but I'll bet some idiot would try to get high from sniffing the laquer! Or the glue! :wacko:

I know what you are getting at, but I'll bet some idiot would try to get high from sniffing the laquer! Or the glue! :wacko:

Man, they been doing that for decades.

Washington State has better dope. as proven by the last Super Bowl.

OH NO. LOW BLOW.

WELL WE DID WIN PRETTY DECISIVELY ON THE SCORE BOARD.

NOT CERTAIN THAT THE QUALITY OF OUR DOPE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT THO. :blink:

OH NO. LOW BLOW.

WELL WE DID WIN PRETTY DECISIVELY ON THE SCORE BOARD.

NOT CERTAIN THAT THE QUALITY OF OUR DOPE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT THO. :blink:

Proof positive that Denver grass was much better. Maybe Seattle has better meth.

Naa.

I have suspected that Seattle Seahawk fans were not all playing with a full deck, but I must admit that the fellow

that wore no shirt and a barrel to the Bronco games at mile high..... Well, he was in a class by himself.

From what I've been hearing, the states that legalized it for recreational use are losing tax revenues due to the fact that the "legal" stuff is going for higher prices than street values...so the users (legal or otherwise) are still buying on the black (green?) market instead. :o

Still no word of testing for quality control and/or THC content.

Same effect as getting tobacco on the rez at the duty-free shops.

...now it looks like the issue will be on the next OR ballot. <_<

I have customers on both sides of the street for crop production/protection products; as well as equipment (tanks, pumps, &tc).

Unable to barter for a share of the crop since getting a CDL (Class A with Haz/Mat & Tanker certification) many years ago (subject to random drug testing and TSA background check every couple of years)

From what I've been hearing, the states that legalized it for recreational use are losing tax revenues due to the fact that the "legal" stuff is going for higher prices than street values...so the users (legal or otherwise) are still buying on the black (green?) market instead. :o

Still no word of testing for quality control and/or THC content.

Same effect as getting tobacco on the rez at the duty-free shops.

...now it looks like the issue will be on the next OR ballot. <_<

I have customers on both sides of the street for crop production/protection products; as well as equipment (tanks, pumps, &tc).

Unable to barter for a share of the crop since getting a CDL (Class A with Haz/Mat & Tanker certification) many years ago (subject to random drug testing and TSA background check every couple of years)

The marijuana lobby is powerful and wealthy and getting more powerful and wealthy by the day. They put out slick commercials and get everyone convinced (well not everyone) that:

A. Everybody does it anyway

B. It'll be great tax money for the kids' education, hospitals, medical research, roads, unicorn protection or whatever

C. It will be fine because it's not as bad as alcohol, non-addictive and Not a gateway drug.

If it fails to get on the ballot, they just try again next year and eventually wear resistance down.

I think it's rather hypocritical that they use this tax money to 'educate' kids about substance abuse while all the time supporting the stuff via legalization.

GG

Nawww...we should put them all in prison instead. Oh wait! We tried that already....in..1920's. If y'all are gonna act 'high' you might as well join them & burn one.

Face it- prohibition didn't work; doesn't work; won't work. And the $millions not spent prosecuting along w/ $millions in tax revenues is a win/win.

Frankly recreational homeless is such tawdry concern. Let me ask you: if the $ went to veteran health care would you still be so concerned?

Has crime increased in Denver since being legalized? Gotta pay for it somehow, that way you get it free.

Nawww...we should put them all in prison instead. Oh wait! We tried that already....in..1920's. If y'all are gonna act 'high' you might as well join them & burn one.

Face it- prohibition didn't work; doesn't work; won't work. And the $millions not spent prosecuting along w/ $millions in tax revenues is a win/win.

Frankly recreational homeless is such tawdry concern. Let me ask you: if the $ went to veteran health care would you still be so concerned?

BS argument.

I'll always be concerned about the legality of what are essentially "recreational" drugs. Where the money goes is a non-issue.

So homeless hippies are moving from other states to Colorado, for marijuana? Sounds like a win for the rest of us.

Colorado will also see its government getting more and more liberal as more of these people move in and vote for the pro-dope party.

Yeah.... It may seem tawdry at first. Homelessness may start as recreational, yet as more and more get caught up in it social programs start being stretched thin, food pantries being depleted more and more, crime increases, and hospitals dealing with more social health issues....I guess we'll see how this social experiment plays out,

GG

FAR OUT MAN!!!!!!!!

can hardly wait til it's legal in OHIO!!!!

NOT!!!!

No society that I am aware of has ever been successful in legislating morality. We have tried it with Prostitution, drugs, alcohol, gambling, and firearms. The only results I can see is that in every case people ignore the law and create a black market for the underworld to get rich on. Legalizing any or all of these has been done in one place or another and despite the dire predictions I haven't seen any society destroyed by allowing them. What destroys a society's economy is social programs that support those that have gone to excess in drugs , alcohol or gambling. They made a personal decision and should be suffering the consequences of those decisions. Rescuing them does not work. As far as I can see Denmark has not collapsed and I do believe they have legalized them all. In the "Land of the free and the home of the brave" we need to be brave enough to allow everyone the freedom of choice. I was taught that God gave us free will it is man that has taken it away. He gave us ten simple rules to live by and we have encoded them into tens of thousands of rules, regulations, and laws. So, in another unpopular opinion I think we should legalize them all.

No society that I am aware of has ever been successful in legislating morality. We have tried it with Prostitution, drugs, alcohol, gambling, and firearms. The only results I can see is that in every case people ignore the law and create a black market for the underworld to get rich on. Legalizing any or all of these has been done in one place or another and despite the dire predictions I haven't seen any society destroyed by allowing them. What destroys a society's economy is social programs that support those that have gone to excess in drugs , alcohol or gambling. They made a personal decision and should be suffering the consequences of those decisions. Rescuing them does not work. As far as I can see Denmark has not collapsed and I do believe they have legalized them all. In the "Land of the free and the home of the brave" we need to be brave enough to allow everyone the freedom of choice. I was taught that God gave us free will it is man that has taken it away. He gave us ten simple rules to live by and we have encoded them into tens of thousands of rules, regulations, and laws. So, in another unpopular opinion I think we should legalize them all.

But we sure like to legislate immorality and add revenue through taxes for it. BTW: there is still plenty of black market for the dope. The taxes make it too high of price for lower- middle class citizen.

GG

FAR OUT MAN!!!!!!!!

can hardly wait til it's legal in OHIO!!!!

NOT!!!!

I'll agree with ya on this.... But, it's gonna happen as once you allow an inch they take a mile....

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5623972

GG

Actually, Cannabis is illegal in Denmark and pretty much everywhere except for Uruguay and North Korea! Maybe that's why you haven't seen any societies destroyed lately.

Drug use would be fine if it only affected the user,. Unfortunately it does not. It tears families apart and degrades communities.

Freedom of choice where drugs are concerned simply will not work. Human nature gets in the way.

Communism sounds great on paper too, except for that damn human nature thing again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_country

Actually, Cannabis is illegal in Denmark and pretty much everywhere except for Uruguay and North Korea! Maybe that's why you haven't seen any societies destroyed lately. People frequently point to Europe as an example of legal grass. It's a myth.

Drug use would be fine if it only affected the user,. Unfortunately it does not. It tears families apart and degrades communities.

Freedom of choice where drugs are concerned simply will not work. Human nature gets in the way.

Communism sounds great on paper too, except for that damn human nature thing again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_country

Let's see. Texas is the "Lone Star State", California the "Bear State", Florida the "Sunshine State" Guess the new motto for Colorado is going to be the "Stoner State".

Y'all feel free to come up with your own motto's for Colorado now. I figure I've done my part.

No offense intended to U.B. and other Coloradans with common sense.

B. It'll be great tax money for the kids' education, hospitals, medical research, roads, unicorn protection or whatever

Let me ask you: if the $ went to veteran health care would you still be so concerned?

I would be just as against it as I am now. SIN TAXES are the worst kinds of taxes and to get you past that most obvious fact all the evil do-gooders parade out a litany of children's causes to divert your attention. That is how they got the astronomical cigarette taxes passed. Guess who those taxes hurt the most. THE POOR. Als if the taxes do what they want which is to discourage drinking, smoking weed ect. So if the tax does what they claim discourage use, where will the taxes come from??? MORE TAXES because now that the pet do-gooder program has been established it cannot be allowed to go unfunded.

SIN TAXES are what liberals use to tax you to death and get you to willingly agree to pay for the privilege.

I would be just as against it as I am now. SIN TAXES are the worst kinds of taxes and to get you past that most obvious fact all the evil do-gooders parade out a litany of children's causes to divert your attention. That is how they got the astronomical cigarette taxes passed. Guess who those taxes hurt the most. THE POOR. Also if the taxes do what they want which is to discourage drinking, smoking cigarettes / weed ect. So if the tax does what they claim discourage use, where will the taxes come from??? MORE TAXES because now that the pet do-gooder program has been established it cannot be allowed to go unfunded.

SIN TAXES are what liberals use to tax you to death and get you to willingly agree to pay for the privilege.

Yes I would. And an influx of people into the community who will be impacting health and welfare services is a concern.

The Federal Government has run a propaganda campaign about the evils of marijuana starting around 1935. Many of the attitudes with the older pards is a reflection of the effectiveness of their misinformation.

Housing criminals is expensive and space is limited. It really comes down to who you want off the streets...someone who is convicted off a drug offense or someone with a longer rap sheet of more serious crimes.

Two of the most harmful, addictive drugs based on their health risk and cost to society are legal and sales are encouraged by the Government. They are of course nicotine in tobacco products and alcohol. Both products represent a hugh source of tax revenue.

Blaming use of pot for the cause of crimes is a simplistic approach that is not true. It is the poor choices a person makes starting at a young age through adulthood that puts them in trouble with the law.

I for one have never said pot is worse than booze. What I maintain is that alcohol is bad enough and adding pot as another legal recreational drug only compounds the problems we already have. Alcohol kills thousands and destroys property and ruins families. Why add weed to it for some tax money?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Archived