SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch and Ladies

Swift Stoney 49735

Yesterday was the range and live firing. As expected, the 1911 proved to be the most difficult to begin to master. Confusion with loading at the loading table with inserting a magazine and then doing nothing until the buzzer goes off. The impulse is to rack on in the chamber. One great positive note in all this, when the buzzer did go off there was no pulling the hammer back to make racking the slide easier. Nama just snatched it back and went on about her business. I was so proud! Magazine changes are still clumsy for both of us but can be mastered with muscle memory. The model 12, as all know, is a pain to load and it is difficult for Nama to understand that at the loading table when you close the action you need to pull the trigger to release the action slide lock so the first round can be racked into the shotgun on the line. We are both having difficulty remembering to leave the slide open after the last shotgun round is fired. Never an issue with the 97 but pumping away with the 12 is a different experience. We were able to develop a sort of cadence with the 1911 due to the recoil and getting back on target. Nothing like what can be done with the Rugers but starting to get respectable. All in all, we both would probably have chosen a different sport than Wild Bunch but we are committed and will master the sport to the point of being safe and a little competitive.

Today is day two at the range. Hope all the lessons from yesterday stick and more improvement is seen. I did put a dab of white paint on the front sights of the 1911 and 66 and changed out the front bead on the 12 to a white one. Also swapped stocks on the 12 and 66 for shorter ones which should make gun handling easier for both of us. Are we having fun yet?

As long as you are smiling as you get a miss or a P whilst shooting WB I'd say you are having fun :D :D

We got back to the range on Tuesday in the hopes of firming up some techniques and muscle memory. It went better than Monday but Nama is still struggling with the 1911. I believe the biggest issue is that she just doesn't like the gun nor does she particularly enjoy shooting it. The 66 and Model 12 are coming around quite well. We both miss our 73s but the 66 is all we have in 45 caliber that is short stroked. The Model 12 is surprisingly fun to shoot. I have even discovered it can be slam fired very effectively. When I tried to slam fire my 97s I tended to shoot low, but no so with the Model 12. Still a pain to load but we are developing techniques that make that a little easier. This whole business of Wild Bunch is without a doubt very different from cowboy shooting.

Oh, we are also using a lot of band-aids. When loading the 1911 we have both been "bit" in the palm of our left hand. Wish they would review the rules about bumpers on the magazines. I also caught the rear sight on the 1911 when loading a shell in the chamber. Wouldn't be an issue if I was shooting traditional but I just could not take off the Bo Mar rear sight.

More fun to come I am sure.

Dry firing today and Nama's love of the 1911 is going nowhere. I hope she does not transfer her hostility over to me. Loading the Model 12 with 6 rounds is a lot of fun. The rounds want to come our quicker than they went in. Definitely a two handed job. I mostly worked on drawing and racking 1911 and think I have the technique I will use down pat.

I hope and pray Nama does not have a jam on the firing line. I know we should cover that in practice but am really afraid of overload. I suspect if it happens she will just ground the gun and continue on with business. If she gets more comfortable I will go over clearing the pistol.

Hondo Bravo I hope you appreciate all I am going through. If you weren't so darn nice I would hang it up and grab my Rugers and truck on.

Swift Stoney,

Two things to share with you:

First is mag changes. When I started WB I would get the mag pinch every match and be bleeding all over. Finally learned to keep my index finger up the mag front to the top bullet. As the mag gets in the magwell my fingers stretch out straight and my entire hand becomes a flat surface at 90 degrees from the mag. Just slam the mag home. Haven't pinched my hand in years now.

Second is loading the Model 12. At first it seemed that I would get about 3 rounds in and then they would all come flying out. Now after using a Model 12 for quite some time, I hold the gun upside down with my left hand holding the slide forward and my right hand shoving shells in. It just seems natural now and hardly ever have a round back out. Can load about as fast and easy as I did a 97.

My wife doesn't even shoot CAS, but has become very proficient at WB.

It's amazing what time can do. Hang in there both of you.

Thanks KingSnake for the advice. I think I mastered the Model 12 loading over the weekend. Like you I turn the SG over but hold the last shell with my left hand while shoving additional shells in with my right hand. As to the 1911 pinching my hand, I will definitely try your technique.

It is forecast to rain here this afternoon and Monday and Tuesdays are range days for us so we will probably not drag the steel out but rather shoot plastic dinner plates from under the shelter. That will allow us some much needed 1911 live firing.

There's also a post about getting bit by the 1911 over on the WB Wire: http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/index.php?topic=1101.0

Main thing is don't cup your palm....keep it as flat as possible. And feel free to post your WB questions over on the Wild Bunch Wire...lost of experienced folks over there including several gunsmiths. :)

Tell her not to feel bad.....sometimes I have the same issue.......lol. I guess you actually have to clean those modern guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJP6spxFhCs&list=UU9pNykJX60g4jxhYz3eruJQ

PS it's NOT too late to sign up for the SC State WB match......info and links are in the shooting events here on the home page.

Archived