SASS Wire Forum

At least the border to the North is protected...

From the Mid-Iowa Council of the BSA:

Troop 111's KCCI Story

"Monday night you may have seen a news story on KCCI concerning Troop 111’s recent trip to Alaska and an incident that occurred as they were crossing the border from Canada into that state. Unfortunately, the story has created significant misunderstanding as comments made by Charles Vonderheid, our council’s Director of Field Service, were misrepresented. Indeed, every time I speak to a news reporter I wonder, 'How will I be portrayed?'

"I couldn’t agree more that the actions taken by Customs & Border Patrol, as described by Jim Fox, Troop 111’s Scoutmaster, were extreme. What harm was done by a Scout taking a photograph? It sure doesn’t seem like much – yet, as I understand it, official CBP security policies prohibit visitors at CBP-controlled facilities from using cameras and video recording devices without prior approval.

"A seconds long “sound bite” on the news can lead to misunderstanding – this one certainly did. If you see Jim, congratulate him on a great trip. In every way Troop 111’s Alaska adventure was a huge success and we’re glad they’re home."

From the Mid-Iowa Council of the BSA:

Troop 111's KCCI Story

"Monday night you may have seen a news story on KCCI concerning Troop 111’s recent trip to Alaska and an incident that occurred as they were crossing the border from Canada into that state. Unfortunately, the story has created significant misunderstanding as comments made by Charles Vonderheid, our council’s Director of Field Service, were misrepresented. Indeed, every time I speak to a news reporter I wonder, 'How will I be portrayed?'

"I couldn’t agree more that the actions taken by Customs & Border Patrol, as described by Jim Fox, Troop 111’s Scoutmaster, were extreme. What harm was done by a Scout taking a photograph? It sure doesn’t seem like much – yet, as I understand it, official CBP security policies prohibit visitors at CBP-controlled facilities from using cameras and video recording devices without prior approval.

"A seconds long “sound bite” on the news can lead to misunderstanding – this one certainly did. If you see Jim, congratulate him on a great trip. In every way Troop 111’s Alaska adventure was a huge success and we’re glad they’re home."

Hmmm ... :ph34r: more 'extreme' than what we are seeing down south ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived