SASS Wire Forum

"Citizenship in the Nation...."

Ya know... sometimes something comes up that just restores hope. And not the kind that goes along with "change!"

One of the things I do with my "spare time" is to serve as a Boy Scout merit badge counselor for three Citizenship badges required of all Eagle Scouts.

This is not a "gimme" badge; there are eight multi-part tasks to be completed; the last of which is to write and send a letter to a national level elected official.

On Monday evening I met with a young man who was completing the tasks. When I reviewed his letter, I asked if he'd mind if I shared it, and he graciously said I could.

This is a from a high school sophomore... and I gotta say, this stuff goes a long way toward restoring faith in our youth.

I've changed his name, but here's letter letter:

July 21, 2014

The Honorable Barbara Boxer

United States Senate

Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator Boxer

There is a growing issue in this nation that the founding fathers swore to protect. When the tyranny of the English Empire came knocking at the doors of the colonists with the Quartering Act of 1765, multiple groups of men called Minute Men, came together to agree that if needed they would get ready within minutes to fight the British.

Once word got out, more groups of these men trained themselves to be fast and quick at a moments notice. These men weren’t just in Lexington and Concord when the revolutionary war broke out, they were all over the 13 colonies ready to protect their families, powder houses, republicanism, land, and their inalienable rights for independence.

After the revolutionary war ended with the battle of Yorktown when Lord Cornwallis surrendered against the combined forces of the French and American troops, the Continental Congress created the Bill of Rights. With that said, the Constitution has and still is being threatened and one of those rights is of the utmost importance to this nation. The second amendment states “ A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

According to the Webster and Oxford dictionary, the definition of “infringed” means to actively break an agreement or law. With that, neither Congress nor the government can regulate caliber, rate of fire, or type of arms used in the United States.

In the amendment, the founding fathers want us to have the right to bear arms not only to protect our families, our land, and our inalienable rights but also to make sure that this country remains a free state and not a security state. Are we going to let the colonists who fought for something and died for something go to waste? Are we just going to forget them and move on? Or are we going to uphold what they believed in?

Sincerely,

Hayden O’Conner

You might not want to publish his name on a public forum. Just a thought.

I eagerly await her response.

Good letter. I, too, am eager to read the response, if any, by the Honorable Senator Boxer.

Or one of her flunkies.

You might not want to publish his name on a public forum. Just a thought.

I eagerly await her response.

Note that in my original post I mentioned that I changed his name. ;)

Note that in my original post I mentioned that I changed his name. ;)

Der :blush:

Archived