SASS Wire Forum

How hot is too hot?

Hurricane Deck 100366

Fixed this so fit me... The first time I got heat stroke... it wasn't funny... the second time, I quit shooting, and when even in the shade I couldn't get cooled off, I took off into the A/C.

Hi Hurricane Deck,

When I first started, neither rain nor heat could keep me away. I even shot in the snow once and the fog (Fresno area) where you could not see the rifle targets very well. Now, 29 years later, older, and heavier; I will skip both pouring rain and 110+ (unless it is an annual match). We now have shade/rain structures at my closest venue and we usually finish CAS by 1:00. So, the heat is not at its maximum and we are mostly sheltered from rain.

...the humidity in the summer is a big factor for me.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine it is based on what you are used to. I live near the beach and its a hot day at 80 degrees. Around 102 is my limit. When you are too hot your blood makes its way to your skin and that leaves less for your brain and that can lead to heat exhaustion. I wish cowboys wore shorts and golf shirts.

Hi Hurricane Deck,

When I first started, neither rain nor heat could keep me away. I even shot in the snow once and the fog (Fresno area) where you could not see the rifle targets very well. Now, 15 years later, older, and heavier; I will skip both pouring rain and 110+ (unless it is an annual match). We now have shade/rain structures at my closest venue and we usually finish CAS by 1:00. So, the heat is not at its maximum and we are mostly sheltered from rain.

If OK is anything like So. IL, I think the humidity in the summer would be a big factor for me.

Regards,

Allie

Older? Heavier? Say it ain't so Allie Mo!!

heck, I've shot a 101 degree range, from 3 to 104.... rather it be around 72 or so, but rain, snow, heat or cold, I like to shoot and enjoy the camaraderie..

Howdy,

Low 90's and that's with low humidity (20% or less). I live in a climate (S. Nevada) that does not suffer fools well; it can and will kill unwary people and does so every year. A CAS match shouldn't be an endurance contest. Trying to stay ahead of heat exhaustion, or even worse heat stroke, isn't fun. Drinking water isn't a cure-all; one can drink tons of water and still overheat. Much depends on one's physiology, medical issues, medications, age, etc. I think it's foolish to take such chances with one's health for something as inconsequential as a CAS match.

Even at my age, I can take it up to 100 degrees and high humidity, so long as I can stay seated most of the time and in the shade. Keeping hydrated is the most important factor. I have found that if you add a tad of flavoring to the water, you will drink more than you will without the flavoring, and so that's what I do. Probably drink twice as much as the average person does, but that's what it takes to keep me going.

Thankfully, the 3 Clubs that I shoot at have lots of shade, although one Club doesn't. have as much as I would like, but I manage to get by. Since monthly's is all I shoot, I hate to miss any match. However there is a limit to what anyone can stand, and you must stick within your limits, or suffer some bad consequences.

RBK

Let's see if I can make it easy to understand - it's not the heat, it's the humidity!!

When it is 95 in the shade down here (if you can find sime) there is no way you can escapet the 90% humidity!!

It will make grown men cry and seek air-conditioning.

Yes, I know Grandpa & Grandma did not have A/C, but they were also NOT walking around in the sun!

So...check both factors - 110 in Tucson is a LOT different than 95 in the New Orleans swamp!!

(And in those circumstances, I'll vote for Tucson!!!)

Just went out to get the mail. It's 6:30 pm in Phoenix and 111. Light breeze made it feel like a blast furnace. Supposed to be hotter tomorrow and Thursday. I'm staying inside or going to the movies. If there was a shoot this weekend, I think I would seriously consider skipping it. Ever try to set up steel that has been sitting in the sun all day? Even with gloves you can burn yourself.

I'm a good ol' Iowa cowboy. Ifin it's good fer growin Tomaters & Sweet Corn it goods fer me. I like humidity!! That dry heat just bakes ya but humidity keeps me all lubed up and running.

Depends on humidity. Low 90s with low humidity I can do. Today in Nashville it is about 95 and the humidity is around 75%; no way I'd shoot today.

Agreed. I don't mind the heat, but high humidity gets me every time.

I have class 2+ CHF- I also live in the Mojave Desert. Love it here!

90*s will stop me from shoot'n due to the meds I'm on.

Don't shoot much in the summer-Fall, Spring, I just about live at the range that's 15 minutes from my home.

I have had 3 HA's not a candidate for heart surgery.

Get 'old', is what it is--

LG

A dry heat like it is here, if forecast calls for above 90 I'll think about staying home from a monthly, above 100 I probably would.

Add humidity and my confort temp goes down quite a bit.

After having some pards sit me down and practially force feed me gateraid and ice chips at an annual a few years ago, I've gotten much better about hydrating early, and often. 6 stages on a hot day and I'll run thru two 20 oz bottles of gateraid, and 4 to 6 bottles of water.

It gets right hot in S Texas. Temps above 95 or even 100 aren't unusual. With high humidity as well. I try to pre-hydrate, and in general drink a bottle of water every stage. Once I started getting leg cramps while shooting my rifle. I just stopped, mid string, left lever open and told TO I was done. Handed off my rifle, made it to ULT, then shucked my guns &leather and sat in the shade drinking water. Don't be afraid to stop shooting if you feel close to the edge. Keep an eye on each other, if you see somebody struggling with the heat encourage them to sit a stage out.

Last weekend the temps were in the triple digits I barely survived in the AC Hopefully this weekend will be closer to 90 since I've been looking all month to shoot. But if it is going to be triple digits I'll stay home for sure.

I'd rather it 100+ and dry, than 30 something and ice pellets bouncing of my rifle. I will take the heat.............. course we shoot in the desert :lol:

I am on hiatus from shooting because of the heat. Last summer I showed up to many matches but could not finish. Why show up and pay entry fee if ye are just gonna DNF? I am old and medically fragile. Just cannot take it anymore so I am staying home under the AC. We had a pard go down about a decade ago. He never got back up. Already had one massive heart attack and a pacemaker, diabetes etc etc. Just not willing to chance it anymore, after all I have never been nor will ever be in the running for the Cadillac...

I despise summer. Looking forward to the fall. It don't get too cold for me even if it's sleeting sideways. Seldom even wear a coat. Only get to wear the ole felt hat one or two months a year. Rest of the year it's the ole weil-ventilated straw.

Yup. humidity is the real killer. It's super high. Tonight it's at 77%. Heat indexes are going to be 105 and higher over the next few days and with humidity that high, it's hard to cool down.

But really, my limit is less about safety and more about fun. I'm a little portly, but working outside comes naturally. I learned at a young age about hydration and wear a camel back everywhere in the great outdoors.

My wife is in the Navy, she's an E-4 and has no problem busting her butt - moreso than me really. But, my 13 year old daughter is the typically over dramatic and wouldn't enjoy the shoot, so I think we are going to sit out this shoot unless the temperatures start to come down.

Worst part is that the wifes new Mernickle rig just arrived and she's dying to try them out.

See why I'm on the fence?

Heck I even do the P word when its 95 so heat doesn't stop much unless there isn't enough water then things are different. Now cold can stop me single digits wind blowing no fun at all.

I will shoot in very hot weather - no problem.

We live and shoot in the desert. 110+ is routine June-July- August. Low humidity and I'm just fine - with lot's of water.! As Cliff Hanger said - if you wait until you are thirsty, you are too late, nd, I'd add - you may even be in trouble.

Cold is OK, just add more layers..

On the other hand, sustained rain will have me and my firearms (warm and dry) in the club house! ;)

I remember hearing/reading that rehydration of the human body takes time. The gist of it is if you are partaking in an activity where hydration is an important factor, hydration/hyper-hydration needs to happen the week before and up to the activity.

Fillmore

Mary and I are old farm kids and grew up without air conditioning. We have our own mom and pop business that is all outside and labor intense so we know about heat and humidity. Yesterday we worked outside until 3:00 when the temperature was 93 and heat index 103. But we wimped out after 4 stages at our local match in early July. At noon when we left it was in mid 80s but humidity near 100% and no breeze. Our range is in the woods so there is no lack of shade. I know about hydration and drank a lot of water and limited my activity when I could. The range is only a 20 minute drive. When I got home I pulled off my sweat soaked clothes and mopped down with wet hand cloth. I drank two 20 ounce tumblers of ice tea and later coffee. About 4:00 I finally felt the need to "make water". I think it was distilled! It took another day to get hydrated again. I figure if you're not passing water you're not taking enough in. Also moving air makes a big difference.

I've shot in single digits, and in triple digits.. However, the past couple of years, the extremes just get to me. I'm better in colder than hotter. If it gets above 85°, I get into trouble, so I tend to avoid summer months anymore, especially if I am needed to help set and pick targets. I've realized that my heritage (Scotch/Irish/Scandinavian) is working against me during the hotter months. Still love the game, but just have to pick and choose my venues....

I make it a point nowadays here in the Northeast Region to pick and choose my summer shoots. I am committed to my clubs matches, but if it is hot at other clubs and the humidity is nasty, well I am staying home. What is really taxing for the most part are the shooters who do nothing regardless of any kind of weather with their lack of work ethic in the heat. A couple of years ago I was at the opposite end of dehydration an damn near felt like I was dying from drinking way to much water. The bottom line is there are limits for some of us and for others they can shoot in any kid of weather. My best matches ever have been in mid 40's and 50's temps.

It will make triple digits this weekend in North Texas with high humidity.

We will start out in the open and finish in the shaded stages...lots of free water

and portable shade for spectators and loading tables...if someone gets too hot there

is a air conditioned office close by...I have found you can bring a horse to water..

but you can't make him(her) drink.

People ask, "How did they cope with the heat in the old days?". My bet it was salt and lots of it. I was born in the old day - literally in a log house with no electricity or running water. Obviously, no refrigerators. Meat was home grown an cured with salt. All foods were salted. One of my earliest memories was Dad coming in from "plowin' corn" and hanging his faided chambray shirt on the door knob, washing up and putting on a dry shirt. I later noticed that every seam or place were the cloth was doubled was white from the salt from his sweat.

Dad talked about being issued salt tablets in the army. Uncles talked about having salt tablets supplied at water fountains in the factories.

For decades they have prescribed a low salt diet. It just may be another case of junk science.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

Heat don't bother me enough to not go to a match. I dress as cool as I can and drink lots of water. Now the COLD……that's another story! I am a PROUD wimp when it comes to anything below 40 degrees! Even 40's and wind can keep me away. Give me the heat but no cold……….

Rye :)

Our local club board voted to institute a hot-weather clothing policy this year. When it looks like it's going to be too hot (90+ with our humidity), the only requirements are cowboy boots and cowboy hat. It was put into effect for the first time at our last shoot and we had the full spectrum ranging from shorts and t-shirts (with boots and hat) to full-on normal attire. I didn't notice anybody not having fun because of it and some of the folks who normally wouldn't shoot in that weather came out and shot. Overall a positive thing for the hot summers.

Too Hot? Anything above 72 degrees, 50% humidity and no cloud cover:) Now for the reality...LOL! I always shoot, no matter how hot the temp.

Just stay hydrated and suffer through;)

Regards,

Ringer

Our local club board voted to institute a hot-weather clothing policy this year. When it looks like it's going to be too hot (90+ with our humidity), the only requirements are cowboy boots and cowboy hat. It was put into effect for the first time at our last shoot and we had the full spectrum ranging from shorts and t-shirts (with boots and hat) to full-on normal attire. I didn't notice anybody not having fun because of it and some of the folks who normally wouldn't shoot in that weather came out and shot. Overall a positive thing for the hot summers.

Our local group did something similar, allowing those that don't tolerate heat well to wear shorts and short sleeved shirts. Not only is it a smart idea, it shows the club cares more about participation than being costume police, and I like that a LOT!

One of the greatest innovations ever for fat boy is the Cowboy Cooler Shirt. They really work and I wear one of my three every time it is gonna be the least bit warm.

Lone Dog, thank you for pointing these out. I have the wife perusing their site as we speak, should have an order placed today. These would be great for outdoor work in general. With Whitetail season fast approaching, long hours in the sun maintaining feeders, pens and food plots are here. Which means sunburn! These shirts are perfect for that activity.

As has been stated by a few of you, cold weather is where I flourish. I'd gladly take heavy coat weather over heat any day.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 23, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 23, 2014 - No reason given

Not only is it a smart idea, it shows the club cares more about participation than being costume police, and I like that a LOT!

`That wasn't really necessary to say.

Clubs could start earlier too,,,, like 7am to help beat the heat, but I bet that would be nixed by the members.

Here in north central Arizona I'll shoot a match in 90 degree weather IF the humidity is 40% or lower. Anything higher and I'll sit it out at home. I'm 64 and in excellent condition but I sure can't take the heat like I did just 10 years ago.

The advice a few have given to keep an eye on your pards in high temps is important.

Jack, sent you a PM.

Tom

Archived