SASS Wire Forum

How hot is too hot?

Hurricane Deck 100366

`That wasn't really necessary to say.

Clubs could start earlier too,,,, like 7am to help beat the heat, but I bet that would be nixed by the members.

In our case, we are prevented by local regulations from starting earlier than we do. Our range is located within a city limits and adjacent to a housing area. Of course, the range was probably there when they built their houses, but we know how that argument usually turns out.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 23, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 23, 2014 - No reason given

Not only is it a smart idea, it shows the club cares more about participation than being costume police, and I like that a LOT!

Clubs could start earlier too,,,, like 7am to help beat the heat, but I bet that would be nixed by the members.

Sorry you didn't like hearing that.

In the summer, the club does start one hour earlier to try and beat the heat. It makes a big difference here in OK.

In our case, we are prevented by local regulations from starting earlier than we do. Our range is located within a city limits and adjacent to a housing area. Of course, the range was probably there when they built their houses, but we know how that argument usually turns out.

How early can you start? and does your club do it? Just wondering.

Not only is it a smart idea, it shows the club cares more about participation than being costume police, and I like that a LOT!

Sorry you didn't like hearing that.

In the summer, the club does start one hour earlier to try and beat the heat. It makes a big difference here in OK.

I suppose you will use the 'N' word next.

'N' word? If this was meant in jest, I have missed the joke and would like to be enlightened.

How early can you start? and does your club do it? Just wondering.

Earliest we can start shooting is 10am, and that's when we start. Believe me, we would like to start earlier, particularly at this time of the year. Luckily, 5 out of our 6 stages are covered, and we put up sun shades, so you can normally manage to stay out of the sun if you need to.

'N' word? If this was meant in jest, I have missed the joke and would like to be enlightened.

Let's just drop it.

However, I will put it in context. Our game/sport has rules. People who believe in following them do not like being called "fashion police" or "clothing Nazis."

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 23, 2014 - Taking it too far.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 23, 2014 - Taking it too far.

Let's just drop it.

However, I will put it in context. Our game/sport has rules. People who believe in following them do not like being called "fashion police" or "clothing Nazis."

I will drop it, but racist comments have no place on this or any other forum.

Earliest we can start shooting is 10am, and that's when we start. Believe me, we would like to start earlier, particularly at this time of the year. Luckily, 5 out of our 6 stages are covered, and we put up sun shades, so you can normally manage to stay out of the sun if you need to.

Got it!!! Thanks for the post....

10am is good for winter months...

Over 100 is too hot for us to shoot, especially when the day starts out at 85 degrees! When we first started, it didn't matter so much, hot, cold, snow, rain, etc. Now I am a bit more picky (and older!!) and really don't need any health problems or any safety issues.

when REAL hot, I switch to my plain white cotton BW shirts, fortunately for them no one has tolt me I wasn't fancy nuff!

when REAL hot, I switch to my plain white cotton BW shirts, fortunately for them no one has tolt me I wasn't fancy nuff!

That's cause all them rhinestones and bling deflect the heat from you onto everyone else............I see your strategy. :D

You ought to come back to Fl early.....the water's fine.....then again, you're breathing it.

CS

I start to consider it when the temp gets to the 95 mark. But lots of things factor into the final decision. How many stages? How far did I travel to the match? Is there any shade available? etc. As the temp gets past the 100 mark, it becomes easier and easier to make the call. None of us has anything to prove and there's no survivor's badge given out for making it through on a day that's too hot. So, there are times when I opt to not go or even stop in the middle of a match. My health is too important.

WATER, only!!!

Coffee, Gator Aid, etc are diuretics. And can generate internal heat.

I have no problem with Central Florida summer matches if I have more than 20 oz water before the match begins and drink 2 quarts of water during the 6 stage match. Same routine for Tuesday practices, shot under a sun cover and tables in the shade.

And wear a modern tech fabric shirt, not cotton. Last Saturday match at Lake County I saw a very fit Cowboy whose cotton shirt was soaked before the match began. Not cool (temp)!

Just sayin,

AR

I start to consider it when the temp gets to the 95 mark. But lots of things factor into the final decision. How many stages? How far did I travel to the match? Is there any shade available? etc. As the temp gets past the 100 mark, it becomes easier and easier to make the call. None of us has anything to prove and there's no survivor's badge given out for making it through on a day that's too hot. So, there are times when I opt to not go or even stop in the middle of a match. My health is too important.

Hee hee, I got a "survivor's pin" for shooting at Chabot Park, in the Summer, in the snow. I feel I earned that one, everyone was miserable because very few had coats with them.

oh, btw, I also have ez ups that I'll haul to shoots that don't have them or other shade available.

WATER, only!!!

Coffee, Gator Aid, etc are diuretics. And can generate internal heat.

I have no problem with Central Florida summer matches if I have more than 20 oz water before the match begins and drink 2 quarts of water during the 6 stage match. Same routine for Tuesday practices, shot under a sun cover and tables in the shade.

And wear a modern tech fabric shirt, not cotton. Last Saturday match at Lake County I saw a very fit Cowboy whose cotton shirt was soaked before the match began. Not cool (temp)!

Just sayin,

AR

Good advice on the water (great) and coffee (diuretic). Gator Aid is not really a diuretic, but it IS far too strong straight from the bottle - dilute it at least by half with water and it should work well for you (it has for me for 40+ years of distance running and motorcycle racing in 100 deg+).

The absolute WORST diuretics are the "Energy" drinks such as Monster, Red Bull, etc. AVOID them. A few years ago we almost lost a racer at one of our summer events who had been pounding several of these to "stay hydrated" - he was so dehydtrated he went beyond heat stroke and barely made it.

Thin cotton works for me and some of the microfiber shirts as well, If you order one of the Hornady Cooler Cowboy shirts, they work well, but run small - order at least one size larger!

Stay hydrated, my friends! If you get thirsty, you are already in trouble. I have found that when it's hot, I need to pre-hydrate, then drink at least 12oz of water (or weak gatoraid type mix) for each stage.

It's 114 today. If it was match day, I might think it is to hot. I know "it's a dry heat," but so is hell. :ph34r:

85 at my house, 73 at the beach today. Anything over 100 is enough for me unless there is a lot of shade. Bakersfield in the summer is hot, but they have lots of shade. I lived in high humidity areas like Missouri and New England....hot and humid would not be a go for me any more than shooting stages in cold and snowy conditions.

Lots of plain old water.... and a wet rag helps too.

When I was younger, I flew hot air balloons commercially. (logged over 3500 hours, LTA)

Summers were very hard. 100 degree weather and the balloons running at or above 250F internal temps.

Beings I was out there every Sat & Sun morning and some mid week evenings, I had a vest made of denim.

In the vest, I had 4 pockets sewn. In these pocket I would place small Blue Ice packets.

If it were not for this vest, I would not have been able to do this year after year.

Had vest made for my crew as well. Everyone just thought I had a company uniform.

Then word got out. Then those wet cool around the neck ties came along.

Gatorade. Because we are not really exerting ourselves in this game except for very short periods of time, Gatorade straight from the bottle is too strong and will actually make you feel worse. Someone said above to dilute it 50/50. I agree totally with this. Maybe even more than 50% water. I make three bottles out one. This works for me. I am a fair skinned red head (now gray) who has always worked outside and played outside. I have the scars to show for it. The heat is nothing to mess with.

I have no problem signing up to shoot a match and then becoming a spectator after a couple of stages if it gets hot.

They sure are pretty too.

And female swimsuit models walking around in bikinis carrying trays of ice cold lemonade...

Something added since I was there? Come to think of it, it wasn't summer when I was there. Should have stuck around I guess.

But remembering the humidity I went through driving from San Diego to Miami one August quite awhile ago all the swimsuit models would do is raise the humidity and the lemonade wouldn't do any good.

Three of the four local clubs go to "Relaxed dress" during the summer months. I never miss those matches regardless of the temperature.

The fourth club doesn't and if it looks to be over 90 degrees and over 90% humidity I may skip that one depending on how tired I am.

Would you believe we have central air units ducted to blow down on the line at every stage?

And female swimsuit models walking around in bikinis carrying trays of ice cold lemonade...

Man O Man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,where is this match?

It was 116 today. I think my new definite won't shoot temp is 115.

Shooting - I might still have a go (but Larson knows that I aint too smart)

But 115 is WAAAY over my go outside and work on props temp.

How many of you would move by years end if there was no evaporative or refrigerated air conditioning in your home or place of work?

Think affordable and dependable electric power to your home being compromised on a serious bases.

Just wondering.

Shooting - I might still have a go (but Larson knows that I aint too smart)

But 115 is WAAAY over my go outside and work on props temp.

We shoot on Saturdays. Which means we have to go out and set up the props and targets the Friday before. If it's this hot for our August shoot I may chicken out for the first time in many years. Starting to turn into a real wuss.

I don't do cold well, OK, I don't do it at all,........ I head for AZ in the winter :)

I do fine in heat up to about 90 as long as humidity is low. That doesn't happen in New England very often. You are just wet and start to boil. In low humidity, you evaporate and cool off a little. I've seen a few pards drop on us or come real close when it's in the low 80's but so was the humidity. I think the high humidity is more dangerous and I'm less inclined to spend a day in it. If it's very hot or very cold, I'll go to the local match and help set up but not shoot. An hour or two is OK but not all day.

It's 114 today. If it was match day, I might think it is to hot. I know "it's a dry heat," but so is hell. :ph34r:

You sure about that? :o

I've always imagined Hell as 100F+ and 90% humidity - with me confined in a leather motorcycle roadracing full suit. I've been close to that racing in the midwest and south in July-August.

Self basting is what it felt like, and I'd lose near 10lbs each day even pounidng the water and Gatorade mix! :o:P:D

We shoot on Saturdays. Which means we have to go out and set up the props and targets the Friday before. If it's this hot for our August shoot I may chicken out for the first time in many years. Starting to turn into a real wuss.

Heck, come up to Chorro Valley early to recuperate, or prepare yourself, from/for Hell. You can get there anytime after the Sunday pm before. The Dogs play early...can't shoot but we can point you to lots of things to do.

Archived