SASS Wire Forum

How hot is too hot?

Hurricane Deck 100366

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never, but each person has to know their limitations...

clubs need to provide water and shade for extreme circumstances....

and you need to watch each other.

Here in the Desert southwest (Phoenix) where it never rains except the week of ( winter Range ) it's going to be 110+ this weekend ! Hell no ! Even the shoot up north it's going to be 100 + may shoot there. It's a dry heat😈

It's gonna be hot - Hydrate.

Watch each other - know the signs.

Get in the shade when you can.

But stay home? Nope - aint gonna happen.

Of course this is coming from the fool that lives in Las Vegas and drives a truck with no AC.

I limit myself to two matches in the summer..........both are in the shade 90 to 100% of the time. Just can't take the heat and humidity in Florida even though I've been here forever. Drove home from a match one time and had no recall of driving home, that convinced me. BTW, when I realized it, I took a good hard look at my truck to make sure I didn't something or someone.........didn't.

CS

Never. It'll be triple digits this Saturday but the humidity here is usually low.

That being said, my home club that will be hosting the Western Regional in a few weeks, is rarely above 75 with cool ocean breezes.

Fillmore

Depends on humidity. Low 90s with low humidity I can do. Today in Nashville it is about 95 and the humidity is around 75%; no way I'd shoot today.

Having had a couple of heat related episodes in the past. Can not take it like I use to.

And here in Texas we have heat plus humidity which makes it feel even hotter and harder

to breath.

So some might depend on which club. Have they got shade??

But normally. Around a 100 is getting to my limit. Which means the heat index may be 105.

Here where it's a dry heat is easily overcome with lots and LOTS of water, both in you and on you. What I can't take anymore is humidity. When the temp and humidity are both in the 80+ range I can't breathe. Thankfully we don't get that around here. That's why Philly is where I'm FROM, not where I live. :)

Of course it can get too hot to shoot. Be careful with the macho stuff. A heat stroke is a real epiphany. I never had one, but know someone who did. You don't want one.

I limit myself to two matches in the summer..........both are in the shade 90 to 100% of the time. Just can't take the heat and humidity in Florida even though I've been here forever. Drove home from a match one time and had no recall of driving home, that convinced me. BTW, when I realized it, I took a good hard look at my truck to make sure I didn't hit something or someone.........didn't.

CS

Not sure why it reposted........must be the heat.

115 in the shade at 5:00PM and a tad over 95 at 8:00AM....... You will find us shooting here in Las Vegas.

Drink more water than you think you need...... Add some supplement to make it taste better.

Cover your guns with a towel at the loading table unless you like cooked fingers and palms.

Don't wear black.

B-Western is tough in the summer.....

Here in the Desert southwest (Phoenix) where it never rains except the week of ( winter Range ) it's going to be 110+ this weekend ! Hell no ! Even the shoot up north it's going to be 100 + may shoot there. It's a dry heat

Don't be too surprised if we have WET heat this weekend. :)

Hi Hurricane Deck,

When I first started, neither rain nor heat could keep me away. I even shot in the snow once and the fog (Fresno area) where you could not see the rifle targets very well. Now, 15 years later, older, and heavier; I will skip both pouring rain and 110+ (unless it is an annual match). We now have shade/rain structures at my closest venue and we usually finish CAS by 1:00. So, the heat is not at its maximum and we are mostly sheltered from rain.

If OK is anything like So. IL, I think the humidity in the summer would be a big factor for me.

Regards,

Allie

Here in north central Arizona I'll shoot a match in 90 degree weather IF the humidity is 40% or lower. Anything higher and I'll sit it out at home. I'm 64 and in excellent condition but I sure can't take the heat like I did just 10 years ago.

The advice a few have given to keep an eye on your pards in high temps is important.

After 15+ years I've become a fair weather shooter when it comes to local matches. Guess it's subjective, since everybody handles the heat differently, but when it gets to be 85 & very humid, I'll stay home if it is a local match. SASS is supposed to be fun, not an endurance match in weather that can lead to heat injuries (or cold injuries for that matter).

This weekend is going to 101 - 103 here with humidity levels expected to be over 50%. It's going to be very close to the limits of what I can handle for extended periods.

We are lucky that we have lots and lots of shade at the range and water is provided in large quantities. I'm just on the fence as to whether or not to shoot.

The thing with heat and heat stroke, it will hit without notice.

Start drinking water before you leave home.

Try to get ahead of the water loss.

Drink after shooting each stage.

Drink while counting, scoring, timing &etc.

Just remember, in the heat by the time you think you're thirsty, IT'S TOO LATE. You're just trying to catch up.

You can drink when you start feeling thirsty and it will help, but it's too late to bring you back to as much as you need.

Stop what you're doing and rest. Let the water do it's job.

If you have lots of water available, using wet rags, wipe down your arms, face and the back of your neck.

Then place the wet rag on the inside of your elbows.

This will take the cooling directly to your core.

Your neck will also but not as fast.

Heat stroke is nothing to mess with.

It's silent and can cause damage that can be permanent.

If someone starts getting dizzy from the heat, sit them down and get them cooled off.

If it's me, take my gun leather away and use non cooled water and dump it on my shoulders, head, back and chest.

Then apply the wet rags.

Do not use cooled or iced water, the shock may be be worse that the initial problem.

at guns of august it has been 100+ at least 4 or 5 years, and with 90-95% humidity....

there have been two shooters and 1 spectator go down,,, T Bone was one, hint, if you see him getting multiple Ps, through a bucket of water on him and call the medics..

Splitrail was the other,,,

like I sed urlier, watch out for each other...

Use to shoot regardless of the heat. However, the last couple of year's when it gets over 110 with no breeze and no shade, I'm starting to rethink the matter.

Lazarus and I used to shoot all year no matter how hot and here in Texas with the humidity the heat index is much higher than the ambient temperature. Now that we are older and on several medications, we have found we can't take the heat like we used to so we don't shoot if the temperature is 90 degrees or over especially if the humidity is high. Age and medications affect how you can deal with the temperatures even if you hydrate and shoot in the shade.

Just remember if you are shooting and get a headache or sick to your stomach, or feel like you are going to pass out, quit immediately and get cooled off and rehydrate immediately. Make sure someone knows where you are going so they can check on you in case you actually pass out.

This weekend is going to 101 - 103 here with humidity levels expected to be over 50%. It's going to be very close to the limits of what I can handle for extended periods.

We are lucky that we have lots and lots of shade at the range and water is provided in large quantities. I'm just on the fence as to whether or not to shoot.

If I were to give you a semi-educated opinion, I'd have to ask some personal questions, like the following.

• How old are you?
  • How tall are you?
  • How much do you weigh?
  • What is your BMI?
  • What is your health history?
  • Do or have you smoked?
  • Do you plan on having a drink of booze the night before the match?
  • Will you hydrate the day before?
  • Will you hydrate during the match?
  • Are you accustomed to that temperature and humidity level while working outside for several hours?
  • Do you have a sedentary lifestyle?
  • Do you exercise regularly?
  • Where do you exercise, inside an air conditioned building or outdoors in a variety of weather extremes?

To a some, I may seem silly. I just tried to think of things that I think could effect your reaction to heat and humidity. We really cannot speak to another's well being on an issue like this.

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

Shooting down here in the summer and fall can be a challenge. We have easy ups for two of the clubs that I shoot with and I wish the others would get the message, it would make it a lot easier on us older folks. I've never missed a match because of the heat, they've cancelled some because it was wet and another time because the wind was so strong that it was blowing the steel over. I build my carts with an ice chest in them and they get used a lot.

Shooting down here in the summer and fall can be a challenge. We have easy ups for two of the clubs that I shoot with and I wish the others would get the message, it would make it a lot easier on us older folks. I've never missed a match because of the heat, they've cancelled some because it was wet and another time because the wind was so strong that it was blowing the steel over. I build my carts with an ice chest in them and they get used a lot.

To keep your ammo cool? :ph34r:

Any thing over 85 :)

The other problem in the summer is that if you are shooting BP the guns do not cool down between stages. Makes touching them downright painful. Of course when I get in my car or on my motorcycle the oil and/or water are already warmed up. :lol:

90 will make me think twice. 100 will keep me home.

Anywhere in between it depends on the humidity. Dew points above 70 are not fun.

It doesn't even have to be very hot, altitude plays into it. This year at Eot I had a issue after finishing the AM shift and needed medical assistance. I doubt if it was much over 80°. I didn't drink much as I wasn't thirsty. Scared the Hell out of me!! Thought I was having a heart attack. So drink drink and drink some more and have a snack on each stage!!!

As the summer temperature climbs, the 'sooner' the majority of the posse starts shading up and sucking on the water bottle,,, not pulling their share of posse duties out in the heat,,, well,,, because.. To be expected as the average age and health issues climbs within the sport.

Just an observation.

Never not shot CAS because it's too hot but before we started doing this it had to be below 85 for me to think about pulling a gun out. Amazing what kids can get you to do.

Archived