SASS Wire Forum

Why does the M1 garand a terrible gun?

Subdeacon Joe

I was never in combat, much less with an M-1 or M4, etc. But I have talked with numerous WWII and Korean War vets who did use the M-1 in combat. This nonsense about the "ping" tipping off the enemy that you are reloading is just that...BS of the highest order. In the first place, with the noice of battle you probably couldn't hear the ping, and if the enemy soldier could hear it, by the time he could react, the M-1 could be reloaded and ready. A Korean War vet told me they would sometimes take a "surplus" rifle, load it with an empty clip and eject the clip resulting in the "ping". When the ChiCom or NoKo popped up...wham! My first big bore rifle was an M-1 Garand, and I was taught to shoot by Marine Reserve gunnies when my Dad went on active duty with the Army at Ft. Sheridan, IL, using a Garand. As to mounting a scope, you have two basic choices: Use the offset mount like the M-1C or D, or use a long-eye-relief scope mounted ahead of the action. Accurized M-1's have been used in 1,000 yd matches, though the .30-06 has largely been superseded by magnum cartridges in bolt action rifles for sniping, etc. That is due to better ballistics of the cartridge, not deficiencies in the rifle. (A .50 BMG Barrett can really reach out and touch someone!) Historically, the M-1 Garand made a huge difference in many battles. When the Marines were augmented by the Army on Guadalcanal, the Army troops had to be very careful with "weapon security", as their M-1's had a tendency to show up in the hands of Marines, who discarded their '03 Springfields! Also, at least one British unit in Burma was able to hold off repeated Japanese Banzai attacks because they had been armed with M-1 rifles!

The best response I ever saw to the "ping" nonsense was from a Marine veteran of the war in the Pacific. He said, "Any Jap close enough to hear that was already dead."

Winning wars is not Political Correct, Forty Rod.

You defeat people and they will not like you.

You have to do it right. The Japanese, Germans and Italians like us just fine.

But you need to actually defeat the hell out of them.

Do we remember how to do that?

The military does. The politicians, not so much.

I think the m1 garand is the worst rifle in history because it is big bulky and is made out of cheap wood. you cant even put in 30 bullet clip in it. true it does shoot a big bullet but it only holds like 8 shots. plus you cant even but a scope or a red dot sight on it. the m1 garand is just stuck with the crappy non folding factory sights. no where can you attach a light or a laser, you cant even put a folding stock on it. the only thing good about the wood is you can cut off the heavy buttstock. maybe you can nail a forward grip to it. but with out rails it is absolutely a crappy weapon. the ak47 has wood too but is only better because you can change out clips faster. not to mention it cant even shoot on full auto like an m4 machine gun.

e5b6df28ea8e36f3566010f3d4b2f0afe757b8f7

I'm coming in late on this one. I love both of my M1 Garands. That idiot should not be allowed to breed.

Don't worry. The chance of him finding a mate in his momma's basement is slim.

Archived