SASS Wire Forum

Why does the M1 garand a terrible gun?

Subdeacon Joe

That made by brain hurt just reading it. Either the person posing the question is a troll of the worst sort, or an idiot of the worst sort.

I never did like going to war with a gun that fired a round that was barely fit for varmint hunting.

Much preferred something that was powerful enough to kill a bear.

I was never in combat, much less with an M-1 or M4, etc. But I have talked with numerous WWII and Korean War vets who did use the M-1 in combat. This nonsense about the "ping" tipping off the enemy that you are reloading is just that...BS of the highest order. In the first place, with the noice of battle you probably couldn't hear the ping, and if the enemy soldier could hear it, by the time he could react, the M-1 could be reloaded and ready. A Korean War vet told me they would sometimes take a "surplus" rifle, load it with an empty clip and eject the clip resulting in the "ping". When the ChiCom or NoKo popped up...wham! My first big bore rifle was an M-1 Garand, and I was taught to shoot by Marine Reserve gunnies when my Dad went on active duty with the Army at Ft. Sheridan, IL, using a Garand. As to mounting a scope, you have two basic choices: Use the offset mount like the M-1C or D, or use a long-eye-relief scope mounted ahead of the action. Accurized M-1's have been used in 1,000 yd matches, though the .30-06 has largely been superseded by magnum cartridges in bolt action rifles for sniping, etc. That is due to better ballistics of the cartridge, not deficiencies in the rifle. (A .50 BMG Barrett can really reach out and touch someone!) Historically, the M-1 Garand made a huge difference in many battles. When the Marines were augmented by the Army on Guadalcanal, the Army troops had to be very careful with "weapon security", as their M-1's had a tendency to show up in the hands of Marines, who discarded their '03 Springfields! Also, at least one British unit in Burma was able to hold off repeated Japanese Banzai attacks because they had been armed with M-1 rifles!

Funny that anybody would bother to respond to the pimply faced video gamer. :D

I grew up with my dad serving his final nine years of 24 in the US Army. I was not smart enough to serve in our armed forces (my biggest life regret), but I grew up shooting M1 Garands and M1 Carbines. I shot a Beretta-made M1 Garand for six years in DCM matches.

The M1 is a great rifle, especially if considered for the standard level of technology of the late 1930s. I have seen some amazing groups shot in matches out to 300 yards and seen a number of deer dropped with the gun. I believe the rifle is a the perfect weight and dimensions for bayonet work and to reduce recoil in sustained fire. It does have two short-coming that were addressed in later rifles:

1. in masse this is no problem, but for a single solder, the rifle cannot easily be topped off (requires manually inserting rounds while the action is out of battery or dumping all unfired rounds and inserting a new 8-round clip)

2. a flip-sight with two different diameter apertures would allow fine long-distance shooting and quick shooting

M1 Garand is a dreadful rifle. Horrible in every way. Being such a kind and loving fellow and not wanting to see fellow cowboys saddled with such a worthless hunk of iron and wood, I'll gladly take them off your hands. I wouldn't want to see a pardner have to suffer such embarrassment as to be caught with one or more of these clunky inaccurate and troublesome beasts in their safe or hanging on their wall.

Just contact me, I'll pass along the info of my FFL and if you pay the shipping (heck, I'm not THAT nice) I'll do the only kind thing and take it off your hands.

No need to thank me, I'm just that kind of nice guy always willing to help out my fellow man. :D:D:)

Guitar Slinger.

Isn't it amazing that we actually used a rifle without a detachable magazine, folding stock, red dot sight, white light source, and plastic stock to fight, and win, an actual war?

M1 Garand is a dreadful rifle. Horrible in every way. Being such a kind and loving fellow and not wanting to see fellow cowboys saddled with such a worthless hunk of iron and wood, I'll gladly take them off your hands. I wouldn't want to see a pardner have to suffer such embarrassment as to be caught with one or more of these clunky inaccurate and troublesome beasts in their safe or hanging on their wall.

Just contact me, I'll pass along the info of my FFL and if you pay the shipping (heck, I'm not THAT nice) I'll do the only kind thing and take it off your hands.

No need to thank me, I'm just that kind of nice guy always willing to help out my fellow man. :D:D:)

Guitar Slinger.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Probably a troll. I think a real person that had no knowledge of this rifle may have asked just why is/was this rifle such a great one. Not go into crazy detail. And hopefully then a thought out real answer would have been given to educate a young individual instead of tearing up the question. How could one learn the real answer to a question without being humiliated. We do need to teach our younger generation about the truth and explain it to them. Not put them down for not knowing. Like I said I believe this was a troll, but then again who knows. I did not read all the answers and maybe the question was properly answered.

The commercially-made, so-called "Tanker Garands" are pretty handy in dense brush or other close quarters. Granted, you have to go to a fast-burning powder such as IMR3031 or IMR4895 to get the proper gas port pressure. Slower-burning powders make the port pressure too high, resulting in slamming of the operating rod and bolt. Once in awhile, no problem, but continued use isn't good for it. (Same is true of the standard model, and IMR4320 or IMR4064 are about the slowest powder, though I have used slower powders briefly.) With a dot of white automobile paint on the rear surface of the front sight make the blade show up light a neon light in dense brush. First big game I ever took was with such a Tanker model...a European wild boar down to Tennessee, back in '63! Muzzle blast and flash can be a bit of a distraction, but can be taken care of with fast powders and other "arrangements" (bar-type flash suppressor).

Well in fairness, perhaps the airsoft version of the M1 is less than perfect. And that's probably the only thing he has any experience with.

:rolleyes:;)

Well in fairness, perhaps the airsoft version of the M1 is less than perfect. And that's probably the only thing he has any experience with.

Could be. The Marushin airsoft Garand has an 8-round "clip," but the ICS Garand's holds 42 and is $200 cheaper. If I bought the Marushin I'd grumble too.

It's amazing the kind of money they get for airsoft guns. Several years ago my son wanted an airsoft AK-47. I got him a plastic one for about $200 that he liked, but the guy at the shop tried to sell me a wood and metal one for $450. I could have bought a real AK for that price.

Could be. The Marushin airsoft Garand has an 8-round "clip," but the ICS Garand's holds 42 and is $200 cheaper. If I bought the Marushin I'd grumble too.

It's amazing the kind of money they get for airsoft guns. Several years ago my son wanted an airsoft AK-47. I got him a plastic one for about $200 that he liked, but the guy at the shop tried to sell me a wood and metal one for $450. I could have bought a real AK for that price.

I bought an airsoft M4.

For a VFW display.

If I ever shoot one it will be a sign of the Apocalypse. :D

6d7d0d.jpg

I've always wanted a Tanker in .35 Whelen or .358. I think they would be a great hog or bear gun. Of course I'm just dreaming

There was a 13 year old killed here in Sonoma county by a sheriff. The kid had one of those airsoft AKs WITHOUT the orange tips on it, cop told him to drop it a few times and didn't swang the barrel towards the cop. Cop thought it was real then shot the kid. I have seen pics of the airsoft AK next to a real AK and it was very hard to tell the difference

There was a 13 year old killed here in Sonoma county by a sheriff. The kid had one of those airsoft AKs WITHOUT the orange tips on it, cop told him to drop it a few times and didn't swang the barrel towards the cop. Cop thought it was real then shot the kid. I have seen pics of the airsoft AK next to a real AK and it was very hard to tell the difference.

I made sure the orange cap stayed on my son's airsoft guns at all times. He got a little annoyed that I kept hounding him about it, but I figure it's my job to annoy him anyway, and it beats getting "that call" from the Sheriff's office. I also taught him to assume the police have no sense of humor until proven otherwise.

I think some AKs with synthetic stocks look like toys anyway, so it's not surprising to me at all that someone would mistake an airsoft for the real thing.

Well, at least one village is complete.

Ahhh, The truth is brutal.

:lol::lol::lol:

I made sure the orange cap stayed on my son's airsoft guns at all times. He got a little annoyed that I kept hounding him about it, but I figure it's my job to annoy him anyway, and it beats getting "that call" from the Sheriff's office. I also taught him to assume the police have no sense of humor until proven otherwise.

I think some AKs with synthetic stocks look like toys anyway, so it's not surprising to me at all that someone would mistake an airsoft for the real thing.

There is a lot more to the story but that is the high light,

Well the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine came yesterday. Maybe this guy is correct. All I see is

Black rifle barrels with all sorts of hang downs and add on being advertised. I wonder how the

minute men managed without Picatinny rails and pistol grip handles on their Charlevois smooth

bores?

Well the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine came yesterday. Maybe this guy is correct. All I see is

Black rifle barrels with all sorts of hang downs and add on being advertised. I wonder how the

minute men managed without Picatinny rails and pistol grip handles on their Charlevois smooth

bores?

You forgot to add, harrrumph! :D

Archived