SASS Wire Forum

Holster brand help please!

Duncan Disorderly

Shot my second SASS match today and have used borrowed holsters and it's time to get my own.

I want cross draw...can't decide if the strong side should be dropped or not. I like the look of a dropped holster, but it seems the top shooters don't use them, I did fine today without. Any advice?

Haven't gotten much advice on brands to get or avoid, where or what to buy. So HELP!

I need to keep it cheap..sorry, not a good year for our household economics wise.

I need a shotshell (shooting a double) holder and belt and holsters.

Considering (from least to most costly) Western Emporium (seems about the same except for color or tooling), Old Slapout (plainsman probably), CSS/Triple K gear( all seems the same except for color), el paso saddlery rio grande (most expensive of the options).

Since I can't see/touch/try these in person I have no idea on quality of the materials, assembly, gun fit, details, etc.

Anyone got these brands (or others) in the sub $250 price range?

My gut says western emporium is 'cheap'..I'm leaning toward old slapout as they seem to have more 'style' to them.

Any functional difference between single loop, double, etc?

Thanks

"cow chip" chris (until I feel I deserve a better name LOL)

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-Z67Qh3f/0/M/wendy1a-M.jpg

When I started cowboy shooting I had a couple of Duke rigs (that I didn't want to wear out) and wasn't sure what I wanted (strong,crossdrae, how high to ride etc, So I started with Oklahoma Saddlery and got different holsters to try out. After I knew what I wanted then I got my stuff made for me custom by RedDog Leather

the pix above is that first rig, which I keep around for friends and new shooters and it is still a favorite among most.

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-nqfndBW/0/M/Cowboy2-M.jpg

So here is one of my first custom rigs which were almost what I wanted This picture ended up in several places including EMF catalog

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-JsxgR29/0/M/curley1a-M.jpg

then we ended up here with what I would call a slightly modified Ringo rig. the holsters ride higher and RedDog knows just what I like now...

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/SheBang-2010/i-KCGhtjF/0/M/shebang29-M.jpg

Then you can get crazy like I did here for my Scout look. it is a double crossdraw with holsters for a pair of 1875 Remingtons. RedDog did a cool job here.

you can go to my website (http://sdough.smugmug.com and see a lot of different holsters my pards and I wear. but what I am saying here is that don't run out and pay a lot of money for a first rig. find out what feels good, if you like crossdraw, strong side, wide belts narrow belts loops, no loops. Try several out from friends if you can. If you are in SoCal look me up.

hope this gives you some ideas.

curley

$250? Outrageous. Get on Ebay and shop around some and you can come up with anything you want for under $250; The most I have paid for anything so far was $145 for a Kirkpatrick single holster and belt, but I never found a left holster and ended up making my own rig and selling that back on Ebay. I got a Triple K shotgun belt for $23, like new, because it was easier and cheaper than making it and I paid a hefty $45 for my wife's combination 20 ga. and .44 belt. I may not be much of a cowboy shooter, but I'm a pretty good cowboy shopper.

I was just at EOT and got a nice set of holsters from Mernickle...they were a bit more than 250.00 but I think worth the money. My first gun belt was a wide belt I bought at Kmart. I used that for a while before I had a belt made. You can definitely get a deal on E-Bay but not every holster will fit your guns properly. Sometimes cheap can end up more expensive in the long run. If you go to someone that makes custom rigs then they should be able to guide you and let you try somethings on so you can feel what might work best for you.

Sgt H

May I suggest editing your profile to show your general location, could be that a local pard has a rig he no longer uses and would part with it fairly inexpensively. Many annual and above level matches have sell and swap tables, and also vendors that will give you a chance to look and feel before buying.

Here's the deal. It's like buying a 50cc motorbike...you will upgrade until you get a big bike....and at more expense than buying a good rig up front. It's the same with holsters. See if you can borrow a set or buy a cheap used set from one of the local club members.

Start looking at rigs of other shooters and see what you like. I prefer Black Hills Leather and there are a lot of good makers, like Persimmon Dan, Michigan Rattler and Doc Noper. Just know this, you won't be happy with cheap unlined, unreinforced holsters.

Just my 2 cents.....KK

Wife shoots with a Mernickle rigs and really likes them.

I shoot a set of Gibbys and LOVE them, he's popular enough that when I contacted him, he said he had several month wait for custom stuff.

The cheap Mexico holsters won't last long and will be difficult to use. They are easily found on Ebay. Fully tooled, drop rigs - I would recommend against them.

Keep an eye in the classifieds. Good used leather comes up pretty regularly.

Here's the deal. It's like buying a 50cc motorbike...you will upgrade until you get a big bike....and at more expense than buying a good rig up front. It's the same with holsters. See if you can borrow a set or buy a cheap used set from one of the local club members.

Start looking at rigs of other shooters and see what you like. I prefer Black Hills Leather and there are a lot of good makers, like Persimmon Dan, Michigan Rattler and Doc Noper. Just know this, you won't be happy with cheap unlined, unreinforced holsters.

Just my 2 cents.....KK

+100

I have an inexpensive set that I bought to get into the game because the wait for good custom leather was long and I did not want to wait that long. Wife and I have done leather craft for over 25 years but a set of holsters was beyond the equipment we currently have. Knew enough to get a lined belt and holsters so the rig I have is serviceable. All that said The holsters will not last more than a few years of CAS shooting however the gun belt will be around for a long time..

Wife is getting into the game so I found a local leather smith that used to be a CAS shooter and spent the coin on her a custom B-Western rig. She loves it and it will last her a long time. I got a great deal and for less than some of the custom rigs I saw advertised on line and in the CC. Had him make a matching spur straps for her and a utility pouch for me. He is currently working on some 45-70 cartridge slides and a custom shot shell belt

After shooting for 6 months I have finally decided on the rig I want. Because I lack the necessary anatomy to keep a gun belt in place :ph34r: I wear two sets of braces, one holds up my britches and the other holds up my revolvers. :D For now it works but as soon as I get the gold I'll have him make me a complete rig with tooling to match the wife's but not quite as fancy.

Point is not to buy cheap leather, it costs a whole lot more in the long run. I am very fortunate in that I knew where to find serviceable leather locally at a very very good price. So ask around, one of your shooting partners may have a rig that they will sell very reasonable to a new shooter. Then save your money and buy a QUALITY custom rig that fits your style. If you can find a local leather smith that understands CAS shooting use them. They will keep your gear in tip top shape and your money will keep them in business.

Tombstone leather makes a great starter rig for about $200.

I have been using mine for over 3 years (35+ matches per year). I will change but because i want to make one for myself a little different. Not because of quality. It is a quality rig.

I actually have 2, just haven't been using the crossdraw rig.

I made my initial holsters still have one and the last set I made for myself but I use long hunter 09 from Kirtpatrick leather. You will see a lot of champions won their buckles with these holsters. My Bely is of my own design just narrow enough to fit the holsters and the buckle is a military period saber belt buckle of the time.

My first rig was stolen when I wrecked my Rv. It was a single buscadero holster to begin with I had a cross draw for the left holster so both guns could be drawn by the right hand with care to do the cross draw dance. I replaced it with a lh strong side in a drop loop to match the hrs.

For a beginner I would recommend two strong side holsters on a good gun belt no buscadero rigs unless you plan on shooting bwestern. Better yet before you by anything including guns leather or ammo buy yourself the first four evil Roy videos from sass merchantile. Watch them and learn how the game is played and why certian items are used. He teaches the perfect draw to hit out targets fast and the equipment we use. It covers 90 percent of what we use today. I know long hunter has a video but have not seen it so I can't comment on the video but can recommend him as a gunsmith. Also, look for capt Baylors CAS for dummies series on line or in the past cowboy chronically.

Tombstone leather makes a great starter rig for about $200.

I have been using mine for over 3 years (35+ matches per year). I will change but because i want to make one for myself a little different. Not because of quality. It is a quality rig.

I actually have 2, just haven't been using the crossdraw rig.

I second Cowboy Small's recommendation with the Tomstone leather. I purchased my first rig several months ago and spent a little bit more coin than I initially wished to. I'm glad I went that route. Spent a little more and get a rig that you will never need to upgrade. You'll be better off in the long run. If by chance your located in Texas, Phantom at Storied Firearms can fix you up. He did a great job on mine.

If you buy guns that you don't like, you can sell them to recapture most of your investment. Leather does not work that way.

Spending time with a couple of experience local cowboys can be very profitable. I started with cheap ($45/holster) strong/cross holsters. I still have them and can use them in very wet weather. I got tired of the concerns about the 170 when drawing from the crossdraw.

I now shoot strong/weak side holsters (one right and one left holster). My weak holster is cut so that I can grasp the gun by the triggerguard and top-of-frame and have the grip open to my right hand.

Leather is never a done deal. Many shooters never settle into a set. Many active shooters go through a rig every 3-4 years. Rigs may need mending along the way.

Some good advice, thanks.

From what i've seen online mernickle is good leather - but it starts at $400. As most of you know this is not a cheap sport to get started in. At this time a buddy and I are sharing pistols - yes you CAN shoot with a vaquero in 45 acp in one holser (with factory lead loads) and a vaquero bisley in 38 in the other (with 2.7 bullseye/DEWC)- and not miss a shot.

So i've got to invest in a second pistol ($600?), holsters and boots. To be remotely competitive my chinese SXS prolly won't do so figure what, a grand plus for a chiappa (prefer that over a win 97)

If I was retired and competing often - some guys shoot a whole lot but house, job, kids, weekly PPC league and such might let me shoot 8-10 times a year,

I get the concept of buy quality once..the mernicle holsters are very tempting for that reason, but before the next match in august I need holsters and the pistol. And need to avoid a divorce. When i told her I needed another pistol...I could see the gears in her mind trying to figure some way to use it to pistol whip me with it. LOL

So used (got a few PM to follow up on - thanks) or el paso or tombstone (both $245+ each according to their websites). I figures some of the leatehr offered was 'cheap' and something better could be had for just a bit more. Thanks.

If you buy guns that you don't like, you can sell them to recapture most of your investment. Leather does not work that way.

New leather doesn't work that way. I buy used - cowboy or otherwise - never had a problem getting my money back out of it.

One thing I have noticed about cowboy shooters, that I did not expect, is that they seem to have a lot in common with H.O.G. members (Harley Owners' Group) in that they are a little snobbish about having to have everything new, with an expensive brand name (also the opposite of what I expected from Harley riders). Seems like a mistake to me - I don't even enjoy shopping for new stuff.

Personally? Homemade and maybe $50:

holsterss.JPG

A saying from motorsports:

Seemingly, there's never enough money to do it right the first time, but always enough to half ass it twice.

I think your holsters are actually more personal than your guns. You can do a lot to change and improve most of the guns, after purchase, but your holsters are going to pretty much be what you plunk your money down for at the purchase. If you want to ask a really good question here on the WIRE, before shopping, ask shooters what they have and what is the one thing they would change about it, if they could. Those things that they would change, if they could, should be on your list of things to think most about, why??? Truth is, most of the information floating around concerning modifying a finished holster is far less than optimal and very often down right impossible to achieve. As someone touched on above, what you want/need, might be a bit tricky in the beginning process.

As Purdy Gear Once outlined it, there are mass makers and there are true custom makers, with many makers doing work between the two spectrum's. Most of the better mass produced holsters tend to fool us most often, recognised by the fact that their customers order some high end off the shelf products and then go around calling it custom!!!! Not being custom is not a bad thing for 90% of us BUT we all want to feel special, kinda like 'one of a kind' so perhaps we seek fulfilment in desiring something custom? The real job is going to be in finding out what you want and what you need, with what you need being the real tough part. Get what you want settled first, since that is the easy part. What is most important to you, is it speed/winning mathes, a specific period cowboy look or perhaps something so beautiful/unique that it would attract attention from other shooters. Combinations of those characteristics are possible but the ability of the maker to combine them in a meaningful and attractive package is where skill and also custom abilities come into play and the price really rises when dealing with such an artist.

A period correct or just plain ole cowboy look is easiest and cheapest to get and often is where many of the lowest quality makers are found represented. Common traits of the cheap stuff being a somewhat generic pattern and fit, almost surely will be unlined, frequently thinner leather, rough inside surface and often a heavy oil finish with no surface sealing/coating. I warnt there BUT I would bet this was pretty common in the old original leather used by them actual working cowboys? The rigs specifically made to be competitive are made by many but I dare say the two biggest are Kirkpatrick and Mernickle. It would be interesting if we could go back over the last ten or fifteen years and actually pull up each of the EOT overall winners and actually see what they were using when they won, I'll bet these two giants of the cowboy leather market would have been the most represented. SEE, the true custom work was laid out for you over years of development and design by the best shooters SASS had to offer. Actually more than just these two, most of the makers who can boast of having a few of the major SASS competitors using their products will be offering some really great equipment that is battle tested. Prices are reasonable when one considers what actually went into the development of each rig BUT reasonable might not always seem cheap!

OH, on that list of criteria at the top, if cheap is at the top of the list then you can find those rigs even much easier, look towards places like (deleted) and the other mass market retailers or search on line for the 'Made in Mexico' two gun rigs starting at $79. You will actually find shooters who brag on these rigs, they are the shooters who list low price as the most important feature of gun leather.

Low price isn't the first factor - I can find cheaper guns than a vaquero but it will do better and hold it's value.

But you can buy a kia or hyundai and for just 10% more get a much better vehicle. Both will get you down teh road, but having ridden in a number of the H/K cars they're much noiser and feel cheaper than 'better' cars and don't seem to hold up/hold their value long term.

I'm sure I'd be happy with mernickle..but will spend $4-500 to do so. If I can spend 1/2 that and get 90% of the function/quality I'm good with that.

Just without experience or the ability to compare them in the stores -or even google for reviews - it's hard to choose.

I'm torn between el paso, tombstone and old slapout. I want to call and talk to each before making a final choice. Unless I can find used before then.

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-Z67Qh3f/0/M/wendy1a-M.jpg

When I started cowboy shooting I had a couple of Duke rigs (that I didn't want to wear out) and wasn't sure what I wanted (strong,crossdrae, how high to ride etc, So I started with Oklahoma Saddlery and got different holsters to try out. After I knew what I wanted then I got my stuff made for me custom by RedDog Leather

the pix above is that first rig, which I keep around for friends and new shooters and it is still a favorite among most.

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-nqfndBW/0/M/Cowboy2-M.jpg

So here is one of my first custom rigs which were almost what I wanted This picture ended up in several places including EMF catalog

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-JsxgR29/0/M/curley1a-M.jpg

then we ended up here with what I would call a slightly modified Ringo rig. the holsters ride higher and RedDog knows just what I like now...

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/SheBang-2010/i-KCGhtjF/0/M/shebang29-M.jpg

Then you can get crazy like I did here for my Scout look. it is a double crossdraw with holsters for a pair of 1875 Remingtons. RedDog did a cool job here.

you can go to my website (http://sdough.smugmug.com and see a lot of different holsters my pards and I wear. but what I am saying here is that don't run out and pay a lot of money for a first rig. find out what feels good, if you like crossdraw, strong side, wide belts narrow belts loops, no loops. Try several out from friends if you can. If you are in SoCal look me up.

hope this gives you some ideas.

curley

+1 For Red Dog Leather. Great product, expertly crafted, customized anyway you want it, fast delivery times, and EXTREMELY affordable!

EC

I build my own rigs, and love doing it. I have made a few rigs for others, but being disabled I don't do many.

As for the drop I have broken both color bones and have 7 operations between them, a 3 inch drop sure makes drawing them 71/2 inch guns a lot easier, and helps with the other lengths as well.

There are several custom makers linked to www.gunfighter.com . Cost will depend on the features you want in a rig. "Going cheap" may not be the most economical way to go in the longrun. If you can try different styles before you buy, even if they are not exactly what you eventually select (borrowed from other shooters, etc.), it will save you money in the long run.

Your obedient servant,

+1 For Red Dog Leather. Great product, expertly crafted, customized anyway you want it, fast delivery times, and EXTREMELY affordable!

EC

+2 for Reddog leather. All my holsters are by him and I made my own belt. They are fully lined and you can pick the model, color, angle & barrel length:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reddog-Leather-Cowboy-Western-Holster-Pick-your-Favorite-/360933605791?pt=US_Holsters&hash=item540951c19f

I am a big fan of RedDog; I have purchased my rig, my wife's rig and a Wild Bunch belt and holster from him. I prefer a double strong side rig and exposed trigger guards. Not all of RedDog's holsters have these features but some do.

The Knight's Leather Starter Rig is a good choice; because it has shotshell pockets on the gun belt it saves you the cost of buying a shotgun belt.

Avoid the cheap holsters. They tend to be too soft and close up, making reholstering difficult.

One way to ease into the cost is to buy a decent pair of holsters and hang them on a leather tool belt until you can afford a matching belt.

Don't mess with cheap leather. Either save up more money to buy new or buy good used leather.

+100

Look for a GOOD set of used holsters.

Don't worry if the belt does not fit. You can pick up a belt that fits for not much.

But the holsters are so important. Talk about taking some of the fun out of a good run if

you are having to fight getting your pistols re-holstered because they won't stay open. Or are

flopping around when you are trying to move on a stage.

Can get a good used set for the same money as new junk.

Try out other shooters equipment and find what works for you and you like the buy quality gear like it. Must clubs have a local leather smith that produces good stuff but places like Kirtpatrick and mernickle have better and worst stuff. They can produced kydex lined holsters that most local shops cannot that is worth it since unless you run over your holster it will stay open for ever the lining will wear out first. Belts if they fit and stay put hold everything in the right place is all you need shotgun belt same thing it's the holsters where the money needs to be spent. It's like in photography buy a quality lens and it'll last for decades but the bodies will be replaced about every five years if not sooner. Most of the reasons to change belts is because you want something different or you do like most Americans out grow them.

+3 for Reddog leather. Good stuff, affordable,and fast (the holsters and the service)

Emon

I seem to recall that I recommended RedDog to ya. (I told him you was a good pard and give you a good deal. I am about to get a new rig from him. I have been pretty hard on mine).

I still stand by finding out what you like then spend the good money. It saves in the long run, and anything you have left over can be used for "luring" friends into the game..

curley

a drop loop belt will always cost more than a belt you can put a strongside and crossdraw on. A drop loop takes more leather and work, a belt is cheaper. On the holster go with unlined and hard, and something that fits your pistols (rugers are fatter than colt clones and the length of the barrel really matters). Look for holsters without carving or stamping as that takes more labor too. Single loop is cheaper than double loop.

Yrying to go cheap will cost you in the long run. If you can follow instructions I would make my first set. I did enjoyed it was able to tweak it until I knew what I wanted. Most medium size towns have a Tandy leather or the cousin leather outlet. They have patterns good leather and the tools you'll need mainly cutting and sewing kits unless you wish to carve and or stamp it. There are several good DVDs out there one is by dusty someone the other is and excellent set by john bianci who's be doing holsters since the fifties when he was a cop. Jr Simmons has some nice patterns if Tandy still carries them and he is a sass shooter, forgot his sass name.

But buy or build the best you can for holsters, I would buy a set of long hunter 09 strong sides and make my belt and shotgun belt. Plus your have leather for cuffs, slides, butt covers, lever wraps.

For cutting need a utility knife, sharp scissors , blades for the utility knife, a couple of hole punches or you can go with the pilar type hole punches but you get better results with hammer punches, rawhide or plastic maul or mallet, straightedge needles, thread Beas wax,and glue. That's what you need to cut it out and fabricate it to finish it beeswax an boning tool either a piece of antler or plastic. Oil I use neatsfoot oil or olive oil. A die if you wish natural looks really nice if done right.

You can make the pattern off your gun in a few hours remember measure twice cut once. Once you get the basic pattern on paper transfer to poster board and finish the finer points, so use folders then you may not need to transfer for two holsters if your smart at it.

Take your poster board pattern transfer to leather smart way is doit on the underside or rough side not the grain side that way your marks will not show. There are also several tutorials on leatherworker.net and you tube. If you can sew it together you will have it beat as most of us have bad hands and it takes it toll on our hands. That mainly why I've stop making leather goods for others as hand sewing kills me now. And a stitcher is over a grand for a cheap one.

There are a number of custom holster makers on the SASS site. :) Some make inexpensive holsters and some make cheap holsters. The problem of spending a lot of money for really good leather is that a lot of the time you really don't know what you should get. Rick Bachman makes beautiful period correct leather. Won't see too many on the Top Shooters.

The age old recommendation still stands. Go watch a match and ask questions. I always answer "Are you competitive or do you just want to have fun". And don't start on me. You can be both.:)

Emon

I seem to recall that I recommended RedDog to ya. (I told him you was a good pard and give you a good deal. I am about to get a new rig from him. I have been pretty hard on mine).

I still stand by finding out what you like then spend the good money. It saves in the long run, and anything you have left over can be used for "luring" friends into the game..

curley

Yep, he sure gave me a deal. I will stand by Paul always!

When my wife joined in the fun she spoke with Paul (Red Dog Leather) and wanted something VERY PARTICULAR. It took him all of three weeks to get the special conchos she ordered (from Mexico no less), design EXACTLY what she wanted, and delivered it for far less than anyone else. Sweet rig.

Paul has given me no reason to ever go anywhere else.

EC

Archived