SASS Wire Forum

Olde Eynsford 2F....

Need to order some BP today - usually get the standard ffg GOEX....I hear (and read) that Olde Eynsford is a bit cleaner, produces less smoke, and is VERY consistent - still it is truly a BP and not a substitute.

I want to order in the next hour, but if anyone has any information that is positive I will put the hammer down. I was thinking the 2F since it would be used from 12ga, 44 WCF, 45 Colt, C45S

Not interested in any other brand but Goex (like American made stuff when I can get it)

Thanks for y'alls input.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Good powder ... I've shot about 3 pounds in BPCR reloads and other BPCR shooters use it with success.

PS: you can't go wrong with KIK either - order a split case

GG -

2Fg will work just fine in all those cartridges. OE is a premium grade alder-charcoal black powder, so it works in the same granulation you are used to getting Goex in.

Good luck, GJ

(Note: KIK is a Czech powder, not US made. Very good, though.).

Gunner: I have just finished my last bottle of 5. Had no issues with it at all. It does shoot a little cleaner than the regular Goex. I have shot both FF and FFF. The FFF seems to shoot a little cleaner than the FF. They both work fine for CAS. The smoke seems to be about the same as regular Goex. ;)

Cheatin'

You guys are fantastic thank you very much for the input. I look forward to getting the stuff a try. And it's not that I necessarily want to make less smoke it's just what was presented with some of the attributes to the powder.

Thank you all again

GG

OK - will give it a go JB - 2F or 3F?

FFg - 3F is too fast for what your going to use it for. For your shotgun - buy Skirmish Fg ...

OE is a premium grade alder-charcoal black powder

Joe, there are 3 brands of powder on the market that use alder for the charcoal ... and Ole E' is not one of them

* Schuetzen - straight alder

* Swiss and KIK - alder buckthorn

Goex has been married to yellow maple for their charcoal

...it's just what was presented with some of the attributes to the powder.

Gunner, here some attributes:

Density Test: Three samples locked at 100gr volumetric - powder vibrated and then weighed on a digital scale, accurate to x.02gr:

1.5Fg - 1.0219 avg

FFG - 1.0283 avg

FFFg - 1.0824 avg

Sieve Ratios

Swiss 1.5 (250.205)

12 mesh – 0.27% retained

14 mesh – 5.24% retained

20 mesh - 92.59% retained

30 mesh - 0.10% retained

Through - 0.72%

Olde E' 1.5Fg:

20 mesh - 98.163% Hold

30 mesh - 0.612% Hold

40 mesh - 0.000%

50 mesh - 1.224% Hold ... exceeds standard mesh for 1.5Fg powders

60 mesh - Trace

80 mesh - Trace Passed

Swiss FFg (250.504)

20 mesh - 76.16% retained

30 mesh - 23.50% retained

Through - 0.34%

Olde E FFg:

20 mesh - 62.81% Hold

30 mesh - 32.32% Hold ... exceeds standard mesh for FFg powders

40 mesh - 04.27% Hold ... exceeds standard mesh for FFg powders

50 mesh - 00.60% Hold

60 mesh - Trace

Swiss FFFg (270.409

20 mesh - Trace

30 mesh - 87.2% Hold

40 mesh - 12.8% Hold

50 mesh - Trace

Olde E FFFg:

10 mesh - Zero

20 mesh - 8.07% Hold

30 mesh - 44.72% Hold

40 mesh - 32.29% Hold

50 mesh - 13.66% Hold ... exceeds standard mesh for FFFg powders

60 mesh - 1.24% Hold ... exceeds standard mesh for FFFg powders

80 mesh - Trace passed

50 and 60 mesh grains are standards for 4Fg powder

The Exceeds in the Olde' E powders is the reason comparing Swiss & KIK, their powders will run 100+ fps faster. Goex did increase the milling & polishing times for Olde E'

Thanks again fellas (esp. John Boy) -= I just ordered 2F for my needs. Didn't get the' Skirmish' for SG because I already placed the order before I saw the post. I'm comfortable with the 2F ;)

Will let ya know what I experience...

Joe, there are 3 brands of powder on the market that use alder for the charcoal ... and Ole E' is not one of them

* Schuetzen - straight alder

* Swiss and KIK - alder buckthorn

Goex has been married to yellow maple for their charcoal

Guess I was misled by the ads for Olde Eynsford - when they said, "only premium components used", I was gullible enough I suppose to assume that meant they used Alder (which is hard to get in the US). Thanks for the inside story.

Most folks worry more about fouling characteristics than they do about the charcoal used, however. And from reading I've been doing, OE seems pretty good at keeping fouling soft and at a minimum.

Good luck, GJ

Didn't get the' Skirmish' for SG because I already placed the order before I saw the post.

Since Powder Inc is the vendor for Olde E', call and Jerry Dean the owner will answer. He will make the switch for you. He's done it for me

I was gullible enough I suppose to assume that meant they used Alder (which is hard to get in the US).

Joe, Hodgdon is notorious for public relations Hyp. Don't feel gullible - you are not alone

For CAS, I shoot the cheapest powder on the market. For BPCR searching for the magic bullet with the perfect reload, I have analyzed and tested every powder on the market. Not only is foul and velocity a consideration for me looking for accuracy - I want to know what's in the can. Now I'm wishing for a better set of eyes!

That's when I found that Olde E' that they improved the processing (finally), they also exceeded grain sizes to increase the velocity. Why? Because they want to decrease the market for Swiss. And when your hear or read XYZ powder is moist burning ... unless it is Swiss - XYZ is blowing smoke

Goex made Express black powder and hyped it was moist burning. Many of us BPCR shooters tried it and it wasn't. Hodgdon who owns Goex has discontinued making Express

Since Powder Inc is the vendor for Olde E', call and Jerry Dean the owner will answer. He will make the switch for you. He's done it for me

Thanks JB - I'll just let this one slide for now - curious to see how it performs ... kinda excited too.

I use Old E 1.5 in everythin from my 45/70 to my 38 S&W Breaktop. I don't use it for my SASS loads, I use Schuetzen for that. I shot my 38 yesterday at the range 30 rounds and when I finished both the cylinder and the bore were actually moist. kR

Archived