SASS Wire Forum

787-9 Airshow Practice

Subdeacon Joe

So, when doing that, I assume they keep the weight down and don't have a lot of fuel on board. Would they remove seats?

They may not be full of fuel but I believe they are completely configured to enable them to be used as static displays also.

There is a great interview somewhere on the NET with the pilot that rolled that 707. And I believe there is a video somewhere of a much larger Boeing (might be a 747) doing a roll. The pilot claimed it was no big deal and much less stressfull to the airplane than landing or taking off.

A proper barrel roll is smooth and graceful. Dish out the lower half and you have a high speed dive recovery. Muck that up and you have a carpet dance with the Ops Officer for an overstressed aircraft, or a smoking hole which an ejection seat may allow you to avoid.

Instructor pilots get to see nearly all of this, bless their cotton picking' hearts!

Hey Dusty, you going to Reno Races in September?

For sure Slim, been there every year since 1989, cept after the attack in 01 when everyone was grounded. My pard won the Jet class last year. We also put him in another pards Lanceair in the superstock race, a hanging gear door made it a parade lap. We fixed it and flew it home :)

For sure Slim, been there every year since 1989, cept after the attack in 01 when everyone was grounded. My pard won the Jet class last year. We also put him in another pards Lanceair in the superstock race, a hanging gear door made it a parade lap. We fixed it and flew it home :)

Cool! Be sure to give us a recap afterward.

Archived