SASS Wire Forum

Well, Germany won the World Cup.

Dorado

wooo....

Sorry, I really can't get into a game that lasts 1 1/2 hours, one goal is scored and half the player fake injuries if they're not biting the others.

But at least Germany won.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was a good game! Lots of continuous action. Most of the game played with in 40 yards of the goals.

I know it is cool to be a soccer hater but it is the most popular game in the world.

It was a good game! Lots of continuous action. Most of the game played with in 40 yards of the goals.

I know it is cool to be a soccer hater but it is the most popular game in the world.

Cool to be a soccer hater? I don't hate it. I just find it a very boring sport. The "action" rarely results in anything. The acting by the players is laughable and I refuse to feign enthusiasm and jump on the soccer bandwagon because the rest of the world likes it. Maybe some day it will be the most popular sport in America. I still won't like it.

Unless maybe they add sticks.

And ice.

:rolleyes:

Cool to be a soccer hater? I don't hate it. I just find it a very boring sport. The "action" rarely results in anything. The acting by the players is laughable and I refuse to feign enthusiasm and jump on the soccer bandwagon because the rest of the world likes it. Maybe some day it will be the most popular sport in America. I still won't like it.

And ice.

(Whisper mode engaged) That's called Hockey Bob. It's just as bad. They still can't score. (Whisper mode off)

JHC

You want action? Try this!

Maybe I should get my eyes checked. I never saw anything that resembled a "ball". Just lots of big guys, a lot of whom were barefoot, with sticks flailing at each other. Looks dangerous to me......

Maybe I should get my eyes checked. I never saw anything that resembled a "ball". Just lots of big guys, a lot of whom were barefoot, with sticks flailing at each other. Looks dangerous to me......

It can be although its tempered down now. Back in the day 100's if not thousands might flail away at each other for days resulting in a lot of casualties and deaths. Look stickball up on wikipedia.

Watch this video. It has a bit of history of the game

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Got one of my daughters and three of my granddaughters that play the game. Kind of have to watch them, but there is no way in heck I am going to watch strangers play!

If, by "continuous action," it is meant that the clock doesn't stop, then, yes, it is "continuous action." Action which seems to consist of kicking the ball about 10 or 15 yards down or across the field, stopping, yelling and waving arms to reposition people, then doing it again. Sometimes someone from the opposing side will steal the ball. Then everything moves the other way, with the same stopping, yelling, and waving arms to reposition people.

That it is "the worlds most popular game" is due to the simplicity of materials needed to play. A patch of ground, something to kick towards goals, and something to use for goals. Then you can have packs of kids in a scrum moving about, shouting and kicking, and in general blowing off steam and energy in somewhat controlled chaos, with minimum chance of serious injury.

The final was a bit of a defensive game, especially by the Argentines.

That one goal scored by Germany in the OT was exceptional for both the pass and the chest catch and shot - if you can't appreciate that athleticism, well.......

I am NOT a soccer fan, but I am begiining to see some of the nuances in the game that make it what it is, and can actually anticipate "plays" in the making.

Doubt I'll watch all that much more except tourney's that the US is involved in, but I do enjoy those quite a bit more now that I can really see and anticipate the action.

That one goal scored by Germany in the OT was exceptional for both the pass and the chest catch and shot - if you can't appreciate that athleticism, well.......

I am NOT a soccer fan, but I am begiining to see some of the nuances in the game that make it what it is, and can actually anticipate "plays" in the making.

Doubt I'll watch all that much more except tourney's that the US is involved in, but I do enjoy those quite a bit more now that I can really see and anticipate the action.

I may make a little fun here and there but soccer requires extreme athleticism and endurance. Some of the plays are just phenomenal in their complexity.

And ice.

Check on YouTube UB for Irish hurling. It's played on a field similar to, but much larger than, a soccer "pitch." They use a small ball, wield large sticks, has lots of scoring, no faked injuries, and there's real blood. And being an Irish game, you can kind of figure out what else is involved.

EC

BTW - GERMANY!!!!!!

Women's bikini soccer would be the biggest sport in America, and that's the only way soccer would become the biggest sport in America.

Check on YouTube UB for Irish hurling. It's played on a field similar to, but much larger than, a soccer "pitch." They use a small ball, wield large sticks, has lots of scoring, no faked injuries, and there's real blood. And being an Irish game, you can kind of figure out what else is involved.

EC

BTW - GERMANY!!!!!!

Lacrosse!

And that, by jiminy, is what we call a Sport! ;)

(Whisper mode engaged) That's called Hockey Bob. It's just as bad. They still can't score. (Whisper mode off)

JHC

Y

Yup that's hockey.

It's not near as bad.

If the hockey net was the size of a soccer goal there'd be hundreds of points per game

:D

I've certainly never questioned their athleticism. But it's still boring! Don't want to watch some Kenyan run 26 miles neither, though I surely marvel at their athleticism. ;)

Well!! Since it's over, can we just let it die and forget about it?? :rolleyes:

Nevermind!! The nutwork sports casters will continue to try to stuff this crap down the public's collective throat!!! :angry::angry::angry:

HOORAY FOR GERMANY

---NOW LET'S GO SWIMMIN'

Yes, like ever in the last 50 Years. We plunder and maraud Paris,......... with our Creditcard. :P

:lol::lol:

Archived